Peugeot 208 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I had some bird s**t on my windscreen, so I got a wet tissue and wiped it off. I have now noticed that where I wiped it off the is now a grouping of small scratches in the glass. Never had this happen on any other car windscreen before. So be careful when wiping anything off your windscreen, as the surface of it appears to be quite soft.
Will have to speak to peugeot dealer to check I'm ok to use some glass polish to try and remove them.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
I don't like the sound of that! A shame on such a new screen, so I hope you can get it sorted out satisfactorily.

However I'll be amazed if the glass really is that soft and is permanently marked by that. Is it possible that your tissue has just removed lines of polish (Superguard, G3 etc.) that were already on the glass in that small area, making it 'appear' scratched? The other possibility concerns the cleanliness of the tissue you used - no I don't mean had it been used before!!
- but was it straight from a packet or box and are you sure it hadn't been dropped and accumulated any grit which could account for the windscreen marks?

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure about the superguard etc., but the tissue was clean, straight from a pack. But now you mention grit, I wonder if some was in the bird s**t. Didn't feel like the was at the time, but I suppose the could have been some fine grit in it, which scratched the windscreen.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Two heads are better than one!

I hadn't thought of that as the source of the grit, either - I was thinking more along the lines of whether the tissue had been dropped, or come into contact with anything gritty. I'm no expert on birds, but something tells me that they do actually consume grit, as it's used to make their egg shells, which if true, makes your explanation of the 'grit being in the s**t' absolutely viable. In the past, I've done exactly what you did, but I shall certainly think twice about doing it in the future!! Isn't it strange how, the cleaner and shinier the car, the more the little blighters seem to use it for target practice!!

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Bird poo is horrible and does scratch paintwork too when wiped off. The best thing to do is thoroughly soak it first and it should then 'plop' off quite easily with minimal damage.

You can also buy AutoGlym bird dropping wipes. They are wet and you leave it on them for 10 minutes or so before wiping off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts