Peugeot 208 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which is the better engine for performance eg pulling power and from go and motorway cruiser 1.4 HDI or 1.2 petrol VTI?

Thanks in advance Don.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So yeh if I had the funds I would have the GTI
but besides that has anyone driven the 1.4 desiel and the 1.2 petrol and which do your preference?
The petrol has a better 0-60 time but is the HDI better coz of its better torque?

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Putting power aside.... Ease and comfort of driving I would go for the diesel. I have a 1.2 vti and as much as I love the car it has many downsides with driving. The clutch I'm sure is made of paper lol, you have to pull off really carefully otherwise you bounce off the line, with it being a 3 cylinder it incorporates a balancing rod in the engine and it creates some bad flat spots in 2nd and 3rd when you want to floor it, and also it's crap in traffic when crawling. If in 1st at a slow crawl there is no ease of power and is very jolty when you want to put on a little more gas and then winds back down so fast your in risk of whiplash lol. Which in my thoughts as a city car which it was marketed as with the light steering etc it fails massively. However the diesel ( I have had one a few times as a courtesy car when mine has been in for faults and services ) has been completely the opposite! I found it a pleasure to drive, smooth and easy when pulling off and in traffic etc. and it's a pretty quite diesel so it doesn't sound garish and tractor like :) I would defo suggest test driving both back to back on the same day to try and I'm confident you would agree. But when and if you do make sure you do some crawling in traffic as the roads are getting worse and worse these days with more and more traffic and I thing something that is comfortable when doing this is a must, especially when finishing a long day at work and all you want to do is get home.

I hope this helps, I know I defo would have got the diesel if I knew. Oh and we got the 5 door which I also regret as with me being 6' 2" the B pillar is right next to the side of your head and blocks vision. We got the 5 door for ease when we have passengers and you know what.... It's not that often we do so could have easily had a 3 door and sufficed getting out to let a rear passenger in and out a few times!

Tommo.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi JBD I do about 30 miles per day about 15000 a year,both B roads and motorway.was looking at the1.6 deseil stop and start but they are a bit more pricy.

. I drive a big car Vauxhall vectra 1.9 cdti so the peugeot will be a step down,just want something smaller easy to park cheep on insurance and smaller road tax and also a newer car, I've had a good few peugeots in the past and loved them! I do like driving a deseil for the torque and great fuel economy.

Thanks for your help Tommo with everything you have given me a lot of info.think it might be the deseil then, also was looking at the 5 door but as you just mentioned the blind spot and poor visibility.
Decisions decisions,will have to test drive them both I suppose.
Thanks again.Edited by: Don1966

·
Registered
3 Posts
Taking a test drive is your safest bet, but 1.2 VTi is really not what you're looking for if you need to tow a trailer or if you do drive often on the motorways. The engine is simply lifeless in those situation when you really need the power... I'd think that 1.4 e-HDi or preferably the 1.6 e-HDi engine would suit your needs much better. As for the fuel economy, I've owned both the 1.2 VTi and 1.6 e-HDi Peugeot 208's, the diesel engine gives you a lot better performance for quite substantial gain in MPG also. Okay, I have to admit that I use a lot of motorways and I'm not necessarily the slowest driver out there, but with a similar driving rhythm when my 208 1.2 VTi gave me 47 MPG, my 1.6 e-Hdi keeps on giving me 65-67 MPG... And the torque is quite impressive!I myself am 6'1" and I find the visibility from the 5-door 208 to be quite sufficient, and you don't have to worry about denting those long doors that you automatically get if you choose the 2-door version... That's actually one of the main reasons why I bought a 5-door 208 instead of that really cool looking 2-door.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for your reply,it's the desiel then and hopefully I can stretch my finances to a1.6 e-HDI.5 door allure secondhand.

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
My wife has a 1.2 VTi, and I have a 1.4 Hdi.

I have driven both - drove her's intermittently for 12 months prior to getting mine.

The Diesel is definitely better for MPG. I would say that the Deisel is definitely has better torque.

Each to their own I suppose - the 1.4 is more on the forecourt if you are going to buy new. However, I got a 62 plate with 33000 miles on for Just over £7k

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Bear in mind all the diesels are road tax free and if you get the 115hp the 6 speed gearbox is a peach

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Unless they have changed the spec since I got mine. The 3 door Allure has a very sporty leather look interior over the 5 doors cloth interior and it also has a chrome tailpipe which the 5 door doesn't. The doors are huge and you can get blocked in car parks because they need to open miles before you can get in and rear over your shoulder visibility is limited due to small rear windows. I would still choose 3 door every time though.
My 1.6 EHDI is giving me 74.3MPG and over 700 miles per tank so stretch to that if you can. Good luck

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
i drive a 1.4 diesel . not bad pulling power. can wheel spin it if put foot dwn. doesnt sound as nce but if doing a far few miles i suggest diesel. i average 550 miles a week !18425 miles on clock now

1 - 15 of 15 Posts