Peugeot 208 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.
I just had to put on the spare wheel after I got a puncture. The good news is that the 208 has a full size steel spare - so no limping home. The bad news? the wheels had some kind of glue holding them on to the hub. I don't know if this was done by the dealer (who put alternative wheels on for me) or if it's a standard 'feature'.

However, the end result is that I have to spend ages with various tools trying to break the bond and lever the wheel off - I'll while it's up on the jack. Grrrrrrrrrrr!

The glue will not be anywhere near strongenough to hold the wheel on should the bolts fail, yet seems strong to frustrate you when you're trying to remove the wheel. What is the point of that?

I'm now removing all the wheels to break the bond, should another one needreplacing by the roadside in the future!

You guys may want to do the same - or carry a short stubby flat-blade screwdriver in the boot which you can use as a lever to remove the wheels in an emergency.

Cheers guys.....

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
They are not bonded on. Its just because they haven't been off before. Just give them a hard kick on the bottom of the tyre and they will pop off. Once off just wire brush the hub and wheel, apply a little grease/copper slip and refit :)

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Had this happen loads, the alloy wheels react with the hubs, and bond themselves together, like said a good hard kick usually works.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi forum members

I just faced this issue with our 3year old 208. I tried kicking the tyre to no avail. Next was a piece of wood and a club hammer applied to the rim. Worked a treat - thanks everyone for the tip. I did notice there are indentations on the hub which would allow a tool to be inserted. Probably one the trade use

Chris

·
Registered
16 Posts
Slackening the nuts slightly and driving and breaking over a short distance will separate the wheel and hub. It will be worth using some copper grease as it has anti seizing properties.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts