Peugeot 208 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I'm having an odd issue, and was wondering if someone had any ideas.

Can anyone tell me if there's a file size, or folder limit, with the in car entertainment system? The reason I ask is I have a fairly extensive music collection, so I have put most of it on a 64GB pen drive. The drive is formatted to FAT32, and the system can read the drive fine. I've separated the music into the following genres:

Alternative and Indie
Classical
Comedy
Compilation
Country
Dance
Jazz and Swing
Parody
Podcast
Pop
Reggae
Rock
Soul
Soundtrack
Spoken Word
Various

Within each folder is another folder, which lists the artist, then within those folders are their respective albums.

The issue I have is the system will only read down to the 'Soundtrack' directory, totally omitting the 'Spoken Word' and 'Various' directories.

The Soundtrack directory is also incomplete, stopping at the 'Star Trek X' soundtrack, even though there's
another 20 or so soundtracks after it.

I've tried a couple of things....

First, I've looked at all the file names, making sure there weren't any characters which could have caused the system problems.

I've tried a new 64GB USB, and it has the same issue.

I've copied the Soundtrack, Spoken Word and Various directories on a different USB stick by themselves and, oddly, the system displays the directories, and its contents, perfectly.

a
I suppose I could keep the 3 directories on a separate USB stick, however i'd like everything on one media device.

So, has anybody else had an issue like this?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had that problem on a fake USB stick - all the parmeters in windows said it was a 64GB stick but it turned out to be only 16GB. 30GB odd of files seemed to copy across but I found that half the files turned out to be 'shells' when you view the drive in windows explorer and the Peugeot system did not see them. Got my money back on the fake stick and bought a real one that worked perfectly until I lost it!! Third stick of same type as one I lost should arrive Monday.

CJ

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers for the reply, CJ1045.

That was actually one of the first things I considered, but i didn't think it was likely as I bought the USB drives from reputable dealers (Amazon and HMV), and not resellers/ebay. I'm also able to access the music that can't be seen in my 208 on various platforms, both Mac and PC, so i'm certain the stuff is on there.

I'm going to do some tests, and double check there's no file name that's causing an issue. I know it doesn't like full stops, unless it's prior to the file type (e.g. .mp3) as I had an issue with a folder called 'Album Name Vol.1' and it assumed that .1 was the file type.

I'll report back if I get a resolution.

Many thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have the same issue! i have a 128gb usb stick and around 13000 songs on itunes. Plugged it into the car yesterday and it only shows up around 4500 tracks - if you select "shuffle all tracks" then you should be able to see if yours says the same thing. I seem to be missing the last 65% of the alphabet (artists). i think it only registers the first 4500 files it finds.

Can anyone else confirm this?

·
Registered
19 Posts
The answer to your problem is on page 304 of the manual:
"The playlists accepted on CD, MP3, iPod and USB connection are
types ".m3u" and ".wpl".
The number of files recognised is limited to 5000 in 500 folders on a
maximum of 8 levels."

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for that. I hadn't noticed the section p304 was in.

I have a touchscreen unit and by accepting the limitations on p304 I was able to increase the number of tracks from less than 3500 to around 5000 so I think the restriction applies to all types of unit.
I had to flatten the directory structure to do this but by playing around with the MP3 tags using my computer the touchscreen can still display the relevant Artist, Album and Title information.

What I have found though is that the player does not remember its randomised shuffle details properly.

Perhaps Peugeot has a different idea of what shuffling means to me. My notion of a good shuffle is to play ALL the tracks in random order and not to repeat any of them. It could be that Peugeot regards shuffle as meaning to play a random track from the full list of titles, even if the track has been played before. I have certainly had the same track come up more than once on long journeys.

Anyway, happy listening!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm surprised an NTFS format works. I tried that and it wouldn't accept it. Had to get a special program off the net to reformat my 128 gig stick to Fat 32....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts