Peugeot 208 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, apologies if these questions have been answered already but I've had a real hard time finding any answers.

I recently got a 2017 5 door Allure. One of the things that attracted me was the infotainment system (if that's what you call it?) My last car was a 2003 206 Allure, and before that a regular old 206 hatchback from God-knows what year (it had a cassette player.) Having a new, modern car with a screen in it feels almost space-age to me!I was aware that GPS wasn't included with this trim level but I didn't mind because, supposedly, Android Auto is supported. But I can't get it to work. The only requirements listed are that the Android phone is fully up-to-date, so Lollypop 5.1 I think. Mine is. So I plug it into the car, launch the app, and... nothing.
I suspect this is because of one or two problems.
One, my phone is an S4. Although there's no model requirements in the Android Auto information, apparently mirror screen requires an S5. If I upgrade to an S5, will AA start working?
Possibly problem two, the car touch-screen itself needs updating. I've tried doing it myself - I've got the latest update via MyPeugeot app, decompressed the files and put it on a memory stick with the correct file structure, but the car doesn't like it. 'Incorrect key' it says, or something to that effect. Not sure what to do because I have followed the instructions for updating to the letter.

Any answers or advise will be highly appreciated. Thank you!

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Does Android auto work at all, have you tried Google Maps?

Double and triple check you have followed the instructions correctly for the update, it took me 3 attempts to get it to work ha ha...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Android Auto works fine on my phone, but plugging it into the car has no effect. Should it 'just work' or is there an icon I'm supposed to be able to select?
What did you do differently (if anything) when you got the update to finally work?

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
You may find the Android Auto app needs to clear its settings before it works. I have a similar issue with mine not so long ago.

I either use Google Maps or Waze for Navigation. Waze was bought by Google in 2013 I think and have grown in popularity.

You also need GPS turned on to "High Accuracy" for google maps to start working.

You have loaded Android Auto app from Google onto you phone yes?

Does it load up when you start it on you phone without being connected via USB to your car?

can you then check the settings of AA on the home screen click the menu and check the "connected cars" setting to see if your car is listed or not?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Android Auto starts and works fine on my phone, it just doesn't acknowledge that a car is connected. I checked for high accuracy in Google Maps and I've just downloaded and tried Waze. Every time I select 'Navigation' in the car, it always prompts me to connect a compatible smartphone with a compatible app via USB.
I wouldn't be annoyed but, going by the required specs listed, the phone, car and apps should all be compatible. Diagnostic trial-and-error to isolate the problem is pretty difficult in this case!

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
Thats the issue I had previously. I managed to get it working after a while by doing the following.

Go in the Settings of your phone, Apps, Application List, select Android Auto, then goto Storage, Clear Cache and data. then Remove your phone from Bluetooth on the Headunit and the headunit from your phone, then pair it up again. not sure what gets screwed up, but something gets corrupted. it now works as soon as I plug the cable in, and prompts on the headunit to select OK, then Android Auto just loads.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
McPhersonator said:
Android Auto works fine on my phone, but plugging it into the car has no effect. Should it 'just work' or is there an icon I'm supposed to be able to select?
What did you do differently (if anything) when you got the update to finally work?
I didn't do anything different, just make sure everything is as it says, case sensitive and follow the instructions to the letter.
Also try a different cable or giving it a wiggle at the USB port as mine has given me the message no media on USB and I've wiggled the cable and its work, also try a different cable.
When you connect the phone does it charge, maybe the USB port is faulty.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good to know a hub works! Sorry for replying late - thank you all for the suggestions and solutions. I ended up just getting a newer phone, and it started working. I suspected it was the hardware but it was annoying how this wasn't officially stated anywhere.

But having used AA on the in-car screen now, it seems, well... MASSIVELY unreliable. Using it with Google Maps gave an incredibly laggy experience, with the display updating many seconds after the car moves, random half-instructions being blurted out while standing still and soft-locking every 10 minutes. Waze seemed much better - smoother, quicker to update, more responsive - but still suffered crashes that prompted unplugging and replugging the phone. So now, after all that, I might not bother with Android Auto after all.

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
you may want to load google maps into your phones cache rather than load it via 3g/4g network on the move so to speak.

https://support.google.com/maps/answer/6291838?co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid&hl=en

I found Waze to have nice features however it lead me into a false sense of fastest route when it drove me directly into a massive traffic jam that was there hours before i even turned up. took me an extra hour to get out of it and back home. Even though Google Bought Waze, waze itself does not hook into Google Maps API, and Google maps was showing the congestion, whereas Waze didn't.

the other thing to look at is, is your RCC unit upto date. 74D is the latest version of software on the RCC unit.

I have found AA to be very stable with my Phone - OnePlus 6

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello everyone, please bear with us I'm new, and if I'm not writing in this section, I ask the administrator to move the post. Thank you I bought a peugeot 208 pure tech, cc.1.2 year 2017. I wanted to run android auto, but after a few days of trying and testing many usb cables, the application failed to start, it always shows the same error - no medium content on the usb key ... System version 076A. I had an appointment with a Peugeot dealer and he told me that I only had a radio without GPS and that he would not start the android auto application, he added that if I want it all, I have to pay £ 500. I am asking for advice on what to do to at least run an android car ..... Thank you very much for help

·
Registered
3 Posts
I talked to a Peugeot dealer about starting an android auto (actually I care about it), he says that there is a way to start an android car on my radio, but I have to go to the garage.
But I have to go a long way to meet him ...
So what is the way to run an android auto on my peugeot 208?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts