Peugeot 208 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2014 208 with the 1.2 82ps engine, 32,000 miles. When it is idling, it runs at a steady speed. However, when the engine is warm, and I press the accelerator to increase the engine speed to between about 1200 and 1600, and hold the pedal at a fixed position, the engine revs up and down by between 200 and 400 revs every second or so. This is when the car is stationary and out of gear. This also happens when bringing the clutch to biting point, which makes it harder to pull away smoothly. It’s been doing this for a while now, and we’ve put up with it, but now I’m teaching my kids to drive in it, they understandably find it very hard to get the accelerator/clutch balance right. The car has just been serviced and our local garage couldn’t solve the problem and didn’t seem to have any idea what the problem could be. If I increase the revs to 1800 - 2000+ the problem disappears.
Has anyone had a similar problem and what was the solution, please?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello,
I have this exact same problem with my 14 plate 1.2 vti. It has also come up as a problem on another forum thread in 2013 here > fluctuating rev counter

If anybody has had this issue and had it fixed please could you tell me:
  • What the problem was and its fix.
  • How much it cost you to get fixed.
Thank you,
Luke.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think I have had some similar issues. I can't gurantee that this will help, but could be worth trying.

What fixed it for me, was the following combo. Well it might just be one of the things, but I did them both around the same time, so I am not sure which helped.
1. Filled up the oil, which was getting low.
2. Took some trips where I got the rpm up to around 3000-3500 in the low gears.

After I did the last part I saw some effect almost right away.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts