Peugeot 208 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I had better check oil/water levels today, so up with bonnet and checked...all OK. But while looking around the engine bay, I was suprised to see the lack of top coat on some parts . The near side suspension tower is almost devoid of the body colour and I wondered if other owners have the same thing ?? I am losing faith in this car, what with the bumpers being a different shade to the body and now this. I love the way the car goes, but I am disappointed in the build quality.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Hi ... The build quality is l fantastic compared to other Peugeots I have owned including the RCZ. As mentioned before the bumpers on most cars are a slightly different shade compared to the body because there plastic . Trust me if you used the exact same paint to cover the body and the bumpers the bumpers would still look slightly different..
My car is black and can't say I've noticed it being any other colour than that under the bonnet, I'll check my wife's blue one when I get chance.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Hi , I don't think the build quality on any new car is brilliant nowadays, it's all about saving weight and fuel economy -- my Peurveot is much better than the new Polo I had - I saw a new Jag on the motorway the other day with different colour bumpers -if it's any consolation

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Hi paul if you look under the bonnet of any modern car they are all that way it's the way they are painted now , they are dipped in different primers then painted with a water based colour coat then a clear coat it is all to do with air pollution that factory's are aloud to put out , I work in a body shop we do Merc's porches BMW's and Audis and they are all the same open the bonnet and you will see primer some like BMW's have no top coat at all under the bonnet just a coloured primer and look at any Audi and the bumpers are all darker than the body . Hope this helps a bit

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Monkeyboy....maybe we can meet up sometime.....I will show you mine if I can see yours.....208 I mean!

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Agree with the above - BMW just use a primer on under bonnets and boot etc. saves weight (and money no doubt ;) )

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes Dan. I would understand if all the engine bay was in primer, but mine is part painted in body colour and other bits in primer. It looks like the sprayer didnt bother to complete the job.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Right ... Part of my job includes the checking of vehicles including under the bonnet. So after reading this yesterday I thought I would look out for it on other cars.
The older cars that I've checked today are all painted very nicely but the newer ones have all been partly painted and some of them look like they've been brush painted along the welded seams . Makes I've looked at have been Citroen , BMW, Fiat , Ford , VW and Vauxhall.
Hope this puts your mind at ease a little knowing this.Edited by: Mikeyuk

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Mikeyuk. Have sent an email to Peugeot, with a picture to see what they say. When they charge £495 for paint, I did expect it to be perfect ! Cheers for your interest.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts