Peugeot 208 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any advice on tyre choice would be appreciated. Replacing the front michelin pilotsport 3's. Pilotsport 4 would be the obvious choice but if anyone has any other suggestions i'm all ears. Car completely standard. Cheers in advance.

·
Premium Member
1991 205 GTi 1.9 Red ; 2014 208 GTi AE #071 White
236 Posts
I've stuck with the PS4's. I just think that they're a great allround tire albeit pricey. Have a look at 10mm wider options. More selections out there and usually cheaper too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Went for the ps4's. This is the first time i've ever bought premium tyres in my life! Shocking behaviour?? 100% yes. I must first state that my front tyres (ps3's that came standard) had done 20k and that wasn't an easy 20 for them so you can imagine how close to 'just go straight to jail' they were. In my defence (no defence) I work long hours and only been using car for that purpose......ish! Anyway, superb tyre. It really is like driving a new car. Scottish winter, crazy weather, storm barra, not an issue. I'm sure many other premium tyres may be just as good but i wouldn't hesitate and will not hesitate when replacing the rears. Cheers for the input people, hopefully this thread will help others and put they're mind at ease.

·
Registered
16 Posts
the only thing I would say re the PS 4s, is that come serious winter road conditions,
they do have their limits, like any seasonal tyre.
Last winter I did a dual carriageway/motorway trip when it was really cold
and on the return journey in frozen slush, there were a few skating episodes....

You can get away with slightly lower temperatures than the industry 7C, the guy at the tyre co.I
use said it's actually the temp of the ground that matters, "the temperature of the track", so you
can operate down to 3C in practice. Beyond that....

Been thinking about Mich Pilot Alpins as a result, but, given the temp is forecast to go up & down
this week (central England) in & out of double figures, not worth it yet. Further north, it has been
worth it.

Same tyre co. said 10 years ago they ordered in a stock of winter tyres, didn't sell, they hung around for 5 years -! they got rid, and have never stocked them since. "When it's really winter weather 90% of the country don't come out of their front doors anyway"- ! well possibly some truth in that, however given media fondness for "stranded motorist syndrome", many ppl do have to come out in their cars in severe weather as we see on tv...leading to stranded motorist syndrome...

Only the online concerns eg blackcircles, mytyres etc. are supplying and even then, sizes seem to be limited. Ordering times for other suppliers are eg Pirelli Sottozero are 1 week, 2 weeks, depending on who you talk to. All very vexing.

·
Registered
208 gti prestige
7 Posts
Interesting, what does the wider tyre change with the car ? Surely speedo / gearing is different without lowering the profile ?? I'd have thought you'd need to go to 40 or even 35 to match ?? If it all works fine .. great !! Cheaper PS4s !!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts