Peugeot 208 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a new 208 GTI & wanting a dyno tune, how much should I expect to gain (bhp + nm)? Can anyone share some dyno graphs with me please of their tuned vehicles

I am concerned about the reliability of the engines however, do they take a tune well? What is the engines tolerance? 230bhp max etc?

Its a new engine for me and would really like to know more about problems people have had and what you know about the engine,

Thank you in advance

P.S - has the DS3 Performance stolen the 208 GTIs engine now?

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
the author of said thread will be along momentarily and will be able to advise, i'm sure...

·
Banned
2,157 Posts
Broda said:
interesting read,

what is the recommended safe tuning zone? 230bhp & 320nm?
Stage 1 tune is the only safe-ish tuning level. With FMIC and stage 1 remap would give you around 190-200whp(roughly 15-18% more power than stock), maybe better fuel economy when taking it easy. Without FMIC its around 190whp(10% more than stock)

About 225bhp and 330-340nm is safe-ish but will still outperform some ome parts.

Your service intervals also half for stage 1 meaning every 10'000 miles. Stage 2 is every 6000miles. Stage 3 is every 2000miles.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting, are engine failures common?

Perhaps buying an FMIC but not increasing performance by the full amount will aid reliability?

That torque increase is considerable :)

So many people do a stage 1?

I was planning on a Remap, BOV, Panel Filter, PCV delete & maybe a FMIC

Which parts are the weakest links in the engine? Pistons?

·
Banned
2,157 Posts
Tuning problem in 208 GTI is intercooler,Stock intercooler is pooped(heatsoaked) within 10 seconds which is before your in 4th. 2nd engine tuning barrier is DV(It splits from heat)

Weakest main engine part is conrods.They cannot handle 260bhp

Clutch cannot handle more than 230bhp (approx 200-205whp)

A good stage 1 is £1500-£2000 inc labour, If you do the work except remap its a £1000. A stage 2 is roughly £3000 inc labour.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I really appreciate the info!

How much is an upgraded clutch?

The last thing I want is a broken engine, is 230BHP & 340NM safe?

What is the weak point of the engine internals? Conrods at 260? I heard pistons are a nightmare!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What makes this 210thp engine capable of handling more performance than the 155thp? What internals have been upgraded? Also the old RCZ 200THP was a nightmare for reliability as standard so what makes this enshrine upgraded,

Sorry for asking so many questions! Just want to me informed :D

Thank you for putting up with me

·
Banned
2,157 Posts
Clutch (omg) fitted is £1500. Break down is kevlar clutch £440, SMF £330, Gearbox oil £15, concentric slave cylinder £30 + 8-9 hours labour to fit so roughly £1500.

2 of us on here have broken our dmf/clutch at stage 2.

Its conrods that break(driving the pistons), they are the heart of the engine. Even going over 250bhp is risky. Some stage 2's run about 240-246bhp

gearbox can only handle 380-400nm.

230bhp and 340nm is at the limit of safe(right on the limit). Depends on how well built your engine was.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had to replace a clutch in my DS lol! SO EXPENSIVE!

I'm worried about tuning my engine haha!

I was running 200bhp & 320nm on my 155THP, what's the difference between that engine & the new 210?

·
Banned
2,157 Posts
The 156thp was a learning curve for peugeot/psa/bmw. Basically its the same engine as in 207, 206 gti with a bigger turbo. 206's would break badly at 240bhp.

Some problems of rcz r 270bhp engine was it ran very hot and simply wouldnt fit in a 208 engine bay. When they shelved the rcz peugout focused on 208, now it's the 308.

The 200thp had many improvements much from the 270rcz r development including less power so not running so hot(it was quite a problem). A bit more compact, engine mounts are quite different . This is why intercooler so tiny as radiator is huge in 208 to keep temps down and power up. Hot countries lose a lot of power due to tiny intercooler. An fmic is around 3 times the size.

The 208thp has finished this transtion and has stronger conrods, polished crank, bigger injectors, stronger turbo internals and a few other engine improvements...these came from the 30th edition development and rcz r

Now Peugeot has put what it learned from rcz and 208 and placed that knowledge in 308.

Nobody should tune a car if they are worried about breaking it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So is the 308 engine the same as the 208 GTIs?

What about the head :

""¢ Are the cams the same regarding lift and overlap?
""¢ Changes to the heads (Valves Sizing, Material, Cams, Followers (hydraulic or mechanical))
""¢ Bore x Stroke,

I have only felt with DS3s in the past and don't know the old 208 range,

What's different between the old DS3R engine and the new 210 engines

·
Banned
2,157 Posts
308 is a 1.6 litre, biggest power peugeot have managed from psa engine is 300bhp and 400nm. It did one race.

An R5 wrc engine which is 280bhp and 395nm lasts 10000 miles, some break at 5000miles. Cams break .

·
Banned
2,157 Posts
Broda said:
Are the DS3s & 208 GTI 210THPs the same? Including clutch, transmission aswell?
Same clutch as 200thp. New 208 only has 300nm in 3rd gear on a good day. Same gearbox.

All the engine and gearbox is supplied by bmw, this goes for mini, ds3, peugeot

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Im struggling to understand how this new engine in the 208GTi is more reliable than the previous 200BHP THP, what has changed? No one seems to know

·
Banned
2,157 Posts
Broda said:
Im struggling to understand how this new engine in the 208GTi is more reliable than the previous 200BHP THP, what has changed? No one seems to know
Peugeot list the exact improvements on french website. We covered it somewhere on another topic when talking about 308gti.

The 208gti thp200 sold badly, reviews were not kind, they improved it and of course gave it a bit more power,lsd,better brakes,stop start,polished crank,stronger con rods,bigger injectors. Job done

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
They needed to upgrade the Pistons, Conrods, IC & Clutch ;)

I know the HPFP got upgraded and MAP sensors (just from looking at the engine)

Have you got a link to the thread as I'm struggling to navigate the French website ;D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts