Peugeot 208 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1.2VTI Allure touchscreen froze today. It changed the radio channel I had selected to another and all controls, either touchscreen or steering wheel became inoperable. The radio continued to work when I switched off the ignition.
I went straight to my Dealer as I was afraid it would drain my battery overnight, but after a ten minute wait their Master Technician came to my car, by which time the radio had stopped. He switched on the ignition and the touchscreen appeared to have reset itself. I have not had a problem since.
It is not the first time it had changed radio channels on its own.

It seems that anything which is still on is shutdown about 10 minutes after the ignition is switched off.

The Technician said they would do a software upgrade if I got the problem again. How do I check my software version? I think I will tell them it happened again so I will get my software upgraded.

·
Read Only
40 Posts
I recently had a similar problem - radio changed stations on its own, System Faulty messages, and changing bluetooth settings. I took it in and it was fixed. But yesterday I had a new message saying that Multimedia options temporarily unavailable. Not sure if this was really true or was just a system fault!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have the same issues. First the "System Faulty" message and random activation of the touch screen where it changes station, scrolls through the list.

The dealer then upgraded the system to 3.17.

Now the "System Faulty" is replaced by "Multimedia system temporarily unavailable", but it behaves the same (random changes station, switches to AM). The message appeared three times today. Will talk to the dealer soon.

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had the "System Faulty" message come up this morning. Dealer says software upgrade is needed and that will cure it. Booked in for next week.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had software version 3.15. They upgraded to 3.17. It didn't solve the problem.

You can check the software version by holding down the "Menu" button for a few seconds.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Rasmus306 said:
I have the same issues. First the "System Faulty" message and random activation of the touch screen where it changes station, scrolls through the list.

The dealer then upgraded the system to 3.17.

Now the "System Faulty" is replaced by "Multimedia system temporarily unavailable", but it behaves the same (random changes station, switches to AM). The message appeared three times today. Will talk to the dealer soon.

These are the exact same symptoms I've been experiencing. I'm waiting for a new touchscreen to arrive and be fitted which should solve an issue I have had with moisture behind the screen. However, I'm suspicious that this will solve the problems mentioned here as the software is handled by the SMEG unit behind the touchscreen and I already have firmware version 3.17.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I also have had all the same problems, taken my car back to the dealer who said it needed update to 3.17.. still have the same problems only now my also says no media on my usb stick. tried 3 different sticks ,all the same no media. now im getting frustrated as its an accident waiting to happen as attention keeps diverting from driving to radio stations randomly changing and cant listen to usb as its not working.. wondering if you can do a factory restore through the system media

·
Registered
20 Posts
One thing you can do before heading to the dealer with the problem is to try to remove all USB sticks, phone, etc. you may have connected to the radio. They told me to do that yesterday when I went by.

So if you want to save yourself a trip disconnect anything before you go there. Anyways it didn't help on my car - got the errorthree times today and only my phone connected via bluetooth.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
I have had all the problems with and without USB and Bluetooth connections. Either the SMEG unit is receiving spurious touch inputs due to dodgy hardware/wiring, or the firmware code is buggy as hell!

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My Allure has been in today to have the "System Faulty" problem investigated.

No fault reports were found on the log, and the dealer updated the software to the lastest.

We will see haw it goes!

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
"No fault reports were found on the log" -Same with mine, and it makes me angry. It's such bad/lazy coding to not have error events piped to a log. Just running them to stdOut or a messagebox alone is utterly useless for diagnostic purposes. Please report back after a few days and let us know, however I've noticed that with the temperature not being so cold now mine isn't doing it so much which makes me think it's a hardware issue.

·
Registered
20 Posts
We've had temperatures below zero (0 C) for the last week and my touch screen is useless at the moment. In the mornings on my way to work (20-30 minute drive depending on traffic) it will display the "Multimedia system temporarily unavailable" almost the entire trip. In the afternoon when going home it will function as expected.

It's going to the dealers Friday. They talked about replacing the touch screen. I will let you know if it solves the problem.

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Last year a lot of 208 owners were complaining about errors during the very cold weather, myself included.
This was only rectified by replacing the actual touch screen, no software update fixed it.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
I wonder if those same people saw any of the errors this year? My concern would be that by the time Peugeot get around to replacing the touchscreen, the worst of the cold weather is over and the physical root cause is masked, leaving people to think it is fixed until the next cold snap. I haven't seen the error for a couple of days now, I know this is because it hasn't been cold enough though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a similar problem. Had software upgraded. Now "multi media temporarily unavailable" every trip i go on, its going in on monday 27th for check up. Even faults when there is no phone or external equipment switched on near by. Tech guy tried to tell me it was the phone and apple constantly updating their software. Yet the manual states works with apple and it was exactly the same with a brand new blackberry. Blue tooth drops off, drops in and then drops off again and then in. Blue tooth visibility drops from yes to no without me touching it. Chops and changes tracks etc blah blah blah.

You can't sell a car stating it will work with any phone, then try and tell me it only works with certain types.

Come on peugeot get your act together. There is clearly a fault with your hardware.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
If this isn't fixed soon, may I suggest all those with these media system issues collectively petition peugeot to sort it out? We could send in a formal letter of complaint signed by everyone. If that doesn't do, perhaps Watchdog would be interested to hear, they often do features on cars!

It would also be good if owners could fill out a car owner review on websites such as Carbuyer and Autotrader. If reviews were popping up with negative comments about the system it would get more attention I'm sure.

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
BlueFin said:
I wonder if those same people saw any of the errors this
year? My concern would be that by the time Peugeot get around to
replacing the touchscreen, the worst of the cold weather is over and the
physical root cause is masked, leaving people to think it is fixed
until the next cold snap. I haven't seen the error for a couple of days
now, I know this is because it hasn't been cold enough though.

My screen was replaced last year, and so far I've had no problems with it this year.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The screens are in back order right now. My car was to be fixed today but they were unable to get a new screen. Peugeot is aware of the problem - that was the message I got.

·
Registered
2 Posts
All fixed today. New screen put in. So far so good. Wrote covering letter and took photo's of the screen displays. Indications suggest they know there is an issue. Only resolve is to have a new screen. They didn't quibble and did it within 4 hrs. It now is a touch screen rather than a screen you really have to poke. They couldn't supply me with a compatible phone list though stating its on their site. Haven't found that out yet though. Car is otherwise good and would recommend Howards group in Dorchester for sorting out the issues.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts