Peugeot 208 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone reading through my posts will easily spot that I'm in the band of people completely disappointed with the "entertainment" system of the 208. On the surface it looks like an up-to-date technological marvel and an attractive selling point of the car, in reality it is a cumbersome, glitchy piece of kit with slow software, bad standards of usability and poor reliability that makes me despondent about the car.

I bought an Active model from September 2012, so there's no DAB and no SatNav on mine. After a short while with it I realise that the touchscreen offers no benefit over normal in-car stereos from other manufacturers. In fact, I would say it was worse. I miss having dedicated physical buttons to quickly select my radio stations, etc.

With all that said, I would like to start a wish-list thread on these forums with the hopes that someone at Peugeot might see it. In the software industry it is typical for developers to have project issue and bug tracking software and official forums where users can report bugs/issues for the developers to look into. As Peugeot don't seem to have a medium for this, it seems fitting to put it here.

To start the ball rolling, I would like to see the following in a future update(s):

<ul>[*]Ability for touchscreen to remember off status when re-starting car ignition
[*]Larger buttons/text in the GUI for core functions[*]Options to auto-dim/blank the screen after x seconds (screen is distracting at night)[*]Ability to perform alphanumeric searches on music collection[*]Show albums view for iPod as per USB[*]A more intuitive structure and layout (currently confirming changes in any of the various settings menus (vehicle/audio/system) takes you back too far (to the top level?) and you have to start through the menu again if you want to make more changes)
[*]More themes (what is the point in a theme selection of 1???)[*]Offer proper retrofit of DAB (Peugeot's Autodab offering lags behind other manufacturers implementation of it as it doesn't integrate into the system seamlessly and requires operation by a remote "plip" which is both fiddly and dangerous when driving)[*]Offer customers a retrofit of the SatNav with full postcode lookup. (The fact that Peugeot have a car with a touchscreen and don't offer a GPS upgrade for those that didn't have it fitted from new, but will happily sell customers a second screen to put in their car in the form of a TomTom, is just laughable!)[*]Offer customers proper retrofit of parking sensors.[*]Fix "popping" sounds that can be heard when playing music through iPod/USB (I have heard this in three 208s now, the pops and crackles are very faint, like you're listening to vinyl, but extremely noticeable once you have tuned into them)[/list]

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Offer proper retrofit of DAB (Peugeot's Autodab offering lags behind other manufacturers implementation of it as it doesn't integrate into the system seamlessly and requires operation by a remote "plip" which is both fiddly and dangerous when driving)

Are you able to explain this more? Not quite sure what you mean

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, of course. Peugeot's offerings for retrofitting DAB are here. In the case of Ezi-DAB, you have an extra separate control unit stuck to your dashboard which you have to operate to listen to DAB. The more elegant solution is suppposed to be AutoDAB because the unit is hidden out of site. However, while other manufacturers have managed to incorporate control of the AutoDAB through their car steering wheel controls, Peugeot instead give you a small remote control which they call a "plip". As you can imagine, trying to pick-up and operate the plip while driving is not very efficient and more distracting to the driver than using the existing mounted controls. In all honesty, I see no reason they couldn't at least integrate the existing steering wheel controls as per other manufacturers but would rather they sorted out their software so a DAB addition could be properly integrated to behave as DAB does on the DAB-enabled factory fitted units.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
But it is easy to change from say fm to dab or even USB to dab very easily via the wheel controls so not sure what you're issue is?
Just hit src on left of steering wheel until Dab highlighted then press the ok roller

Edit. Ah sorry I have dab on touchscreen, you're speaking about an Aftermarket add on, aka retrofit!

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well yes, the clue was in the second paragraph of my original post!
My wishlist is basically asking that Peugeot allow DAB to be fitted to models without DAB so that we have the functionality you do - to be able to select it on the screen and via the steering wheel controls.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
At least they made a point of updating the 208 spec, well all of them with touchscreen down to Active now have DAB as standard which I'd say is pretty good.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right, but that's not very helpful for those of us who don't have the newer spec unless we upgrade the whole car.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Yes, indeed. Bit of a pain.
And like you say a lot of other things haven't been thought through that well. Do they just rush out new cars too quick these days without proper testing? Is that also why there are so many recalls on cars these days?

The screen at night doesn't bother me, had a 2hr drive down from Aberdeen last night and I felt it wasn't distracting. But at least having that option for those who do think that should have been thought through before launching.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts