Peugeot 208 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, just registered on the forum to keep my eye on all things 208 :)

Kinda got Pug running through the veins - 2x306s, a 207 and currently driving a RCZ GT HDi.

Time's wearing on and thinking about what to considering trading the RCZ in for .... scratched the itched with the RCZ and although I absolutely ADORE it and the looks she gets, it's just not practical enough to considering buying another one (unless Pug pulled their finger out with the RCZ-R)

Been thinking about other marques - RR Evoque (but a bit ££££), Mini Paceman, Merc A Class AMG Sport, Golf GTTDI (I even thought about the 2008 until I saw it ...YUCK) .... but my heart keeps coming back to the 208. I don't really want anything as big as the RCZ again, I never take it into multistoreys and even after all this time I still get fretful over it getting damaged.

Anyhoo .... I just wanted to see if the 208 has been having any engine/timing chain issues as the 207/RCZ 1.6 200hp engines have. I was told by a salesman that it's "a new engine" but I have my doubts - salesmen will say anything to get a sale. I don't want to buy a car that will eventually give me problems.........

·
Registered
22 Posts
welcome... ive just ordered a 208 gti, was very surprised at power and comfortI traded in a civic 2.2 type s gt which is a very good quick car as well. will see how they compare more in time, go for it think youll like it

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Hi Donna - depends how long you are thinking of keeping the car - if you are only likley to keep 3 years then it will be under warrnaty anyway so not a problem - otherwise you will be waiting a while to see if any problems happen with the engine- prevuosuly had 207 Gti and we did have timing issues - went into limp mode once and had to have work done to re set timing - after that had no further issues but was a couple of years before this appeared - now have the THP 156 and no issues so far.

·
Administrator
487 Posts
First off welcome to the forum. Glad to have another pug love on board. My list a s1 106 rallye, 2 106 Gris 306 rallye and soon my 208 gti. Have you test drove one yet? Thought it was not bad made my 306 fell old, (as she rightly is). But it's defiantly worth getting a spin in one. Merc A class mmmmm they do look nice don't they.

With the problems with the thp engine I also did my homework, I've not been able to find any problem with the engine for about a couple of years on any pug, cit or mini forum. Bar one on a ds3 r. Bet he was pissed! I also chatted to my pug sales man on the test drive about it. Asked a few harder questions about things which I got answers for( think we were both a bit surprised). So he wasn't just chatting ball. He owns an RCZ and hadn't had any problems with it. And couldn't recall any timing/chain related problems in the work shop for a few years now. He seamed genuine.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers for the reassurances guys
Funny how you guys haven't managed to find any issues though, 'cos there have been a couple of guys on the RCZ forum that have actually sold on their Z's due to persistant engine issues. BUT, as you and my OH have said, the car will be under warranty so needn't be much of an issue.
Haven't test drove it yet (the old "drive it, want it" thing) but the RCZ isn't due to be replaced until early 2014, hence why I'm only just starting to think about replacements. Been driving diesels for 13 years though....will I regret going petrol....would a 1.6 115 Hdi be more appropriate, although it'll be slow compared to the 2L RCZ. The OH has a C63, so obviously he wants me to go with the nippy hot hatch rather than a 4x4!

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Hi Donna I like you also have a Rcz hdi ,I have test driven the 208gti don't get me wrong it's quick but was left a bit under whelmed I did not feel it felt hugely better that my wife's allure but I do really like the look of the xy maybe I'm just getting old

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jimmac said:
Hi Donna I like you also have a Rcz hdi ,I have test driven the 208gti don't get me wrong it's quick but was left a bit under whelmed I did not feel it felt hugely better that my wife's allure but I do really like the look of the xy maybe I'm just getting old
Are you t110jim by any chance ?

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not yet, trying to get Matt pinned down to a date! Hopefully before then end of summer though. Would you join us?

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Hi Donna, R ecogonise you from the RCZ forum, traded in my RCZ THP 200 5 weeks ago for a 208 GTI, Had my RCZ for26 mths, Got to say that I enjoy driving my GTI more than the Z, only thing I miss is the hill start function, definately a better drive than my Z.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The rcz-r is due out towards the end of the year with a 208 gti-r possibly coming out middle to end of next year. I have the thp156 currently and was going to change to the gti, but waiting on the r series instead, doesn't seem much point trading in for 44bhp lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts