Peugeot 208 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried super unleaded fuel in their GTi, and if so, what was the outcome? Did you experience increased performance or a mpg boost?

I'm planning to try it for 3-4 tanks full to see if there is a noticeable difference, however, in Leeds, UK I'm struggling to find anywhere that sells 98RON fuel. The 208 manual says SP95/SP98 is preferable, which from what I can ascertain from the internet is equivalent to RON.

From what I've found:

Shell V-Power - 99RON
Tesco Momentum - 99RON
Esso - 97RON
Sainbury's - 97RON
BP Ultimate - 97RON

Anyone know any company that sells 98RON? If not, what would the difference be from 97/98?

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
I used to sometimes fill up my 200 RCZ with shell super and I did notice a difference, I havn't tried it yet in my GTI

·
Administrator
487 Posts
Ive only used Momentum and v power £££ can't wait for another fuel hike!

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
I'm not convinced. I've seen a lot of evidence to say the difference is close to zero on anything other than super cars.
Apparently branded fuels are significantly better for your engine than supermarket ones. Lucky I have an Esso fuel card!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Previously run a Mini Cooper on Esso (97Ron) and V Power. Ran better on both these than the normal 95. Was smoother on the V Power but marginally more economic on the Esso.With regard to the GTi, once I'd finished the few litres of 95 that the dealer had put in, I have used a tank of V Power Nitro and one of Esso. I felt it ran more smoothly and economically on the Shell than the Esso, but really very little in it and highly subjective. Both are good.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've been running two gti's one on shell normal and one on tesco momentum, one on momentum pulls better and sounds better, better consumption as well

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for your reply's, good to know the consensus. I let my tank run low and have filled it up with Shell V-Power and reset the Trip Calculator. I'll report back with figures in the coming weeks.

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Just to put a my two pence in.
BP super unleaded at 97 Ron is actually far better fuel than high Ron fuels.
It's not a true fact that higher Ron on forecourt means it will be better.
I have used all and found esso or BP fuel much better. More surge more throttle response.
Most tuners will also tell you that use decent fuel only.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
My engine dont agree with super unleaded the engine runs 10-15 deg higher. And when booting it in my opinion engine gets way to hot on this. Anyone else found this ?

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
pugmaster208gti said:
My engine dont agree with super unleaded the engine runs 10-15 deg higher. And when booting it in my opinion engine gets way to hot on this. Anyone else found this ?
Hotter the more efficeint the engine will be mate!

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
In my 50 plus years of motoring I have mainly used Shell petrol, I have owned a total of 29 cars since passing my test in 1965. in all that time I have never had one single engine problem. I have tried the more expensive super fuels against standard Shell, no difference whatsoever, in fact I have been told by an experienced automotive engineer that the engine in the GTI was designed to be run on ordinary petrol. the only difference I found in using super unleaded was a sooted up tail pipe.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts