Peugeot 208 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My 208 has started making a squeaking or creaking noise from the front right suspension. It started around a month and a half ago when the front right started making some loud creaking noises. The dealer changed the track rod ends as there was a technical bulletin out on them due to a manufacturing defect. Changing these made no difference so a month later the car wen't back to have both front shocks and shock mounts replaced and bingo the problem was solved. Two days ago the problem has started to come back with the front right producing a squeaking noise when going over small bumps. I can't hear the noise if I drive the car over speed bumps.

The new shocks and shock mounts have probably been on the car for 2 weeks or roughly 300 miles.

Any one else experienced this problem?

Many thanks

Phil

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
I am having the exact same problem with mine! I took my car in to Peugeot about that noise and also a creaking noise from my boot area.

They replaced the front drivers side wheel bearing, but after driving to work the next morning the sound was still there. So i'm taking it back in, and gonna drive the car with the mechanic with me so he can hear the sound. it's a weird one because the sound only appears on certain dips in the road (pot holes) etc.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
I think there is a major design fault when it comes to the setup of the suspension on these. The car just feels jumpy and unstable. Hit a bump going around a corner and the back end wobbles everywhere. I noticed a knock on the front drivers side area when hitting small/sharp bumps. Since fitting the coilovers the car feels much safer and responsive. However after fitting them the creaking noise from the rear started happening.
I have a few things to sort out on the car and I am going to be investigating all these little niggly bits, so I'll report back with what I find.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kaibaboy:-

That sounds like the exact same problem I have. The sound isn't there over speed bumps only on short sharp bumps. It is progresively getting worse and it's now quite a bit louder. Hopefully my local dealer can track down what's caused the suspension noise to come back.

Duffy:-

I have to be honest I haven't experienced that problem with the back end going wobbly when the car goes over a bump around corners. Although that could be me driving a little slower than normal due to the front suspension sounding as if its not attached properly lol.

I have two faults that I would like to get sorted. 1- front supension and 2- an anoying rattle/buzz coming from the speedometer/tacometer cluster. Not sure exactly where it comes from as pressing down on the top of the cluster or applying a small amount of pressure on the plastics around it doesen't stop the noise. I will most probably have a look under the dash to see if there are any cables floating around making the noise.

Phil

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Front struts must have an issue. Seeing a lot of reports about it. As for the happy rear end, It doesn't necessarily have to be at speed. Okay if you go faster it kicks out more but attempting a medium sized 2 lane roundabout at roughly 20mph would make the back end jump like as if it was kicking out or giving way. Thats in a 1.2 active plus.

The garage will test it and say the noises are just the operational noises of the suspension system. Surely it aint just me who gets palmed off with a b*llsh*t explanation

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
I'm starting to get a creaking noise from the front near side suspension when on full lock. Wondering if I should take it in

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
After changing right side wheel bearing, shock absorber and engine mount problem is solved (for now). Does anybody knows is it necessary to change both side shocks?

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
No, they usually just get replaced when needed. No need to do them both if only one is faulty.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's quite interesting with the original suspension setup Duffy. I've been taking notice to see if my car does the same but it seems quite stable. Im sure my local dealer said there are three different shock absorbers for the 208 to suit different spec.

I've been in touch with Peugeot UK to try and get some kind of help as my dealer is at a loss with what's wrong with my car. After being in touch with Peugeot UK the dealer has requested the car back for further investigation to find what's causing the problem. Its now going back on Tuesday but i'm pretty sure this evening the noise has started to fade away a little since the rain has returned.

I wonder if it could be a dry strut bearing.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ah ok.

I've dropped the car off at the dealer this morning and took the car for a spin with the mechanic and he couldn't really hear the problem so I let him drive the car and straight away he could hear it. So I will post back what they find on here. Unfortunately the annoying rattle in my front passenger door wasn't there (typical!) at the time and to be honest the mechanic didn't seem that bothered. I think they have become fed up of seeing me and my car there lol.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A quick update:-

Got my car back last week and so far so good. Here's a list of what's been done,

Front Drivers Side:-
Adjust and lubricate engine mount,
Lubricate strut mount,
Lubricate strut shaft,

Front Passenger Side:-
Replace damper,
Lubricate strut mount,
Lubricate strut shaft,

And to top it all off they even sorted the annoying rattle that was coming from the passenger front door. They apparently made sure that nothing was loose behind the door card. But whatever they did it appears to have done the trick. Fingers crossed now that these faults have been taken care of once and for all and that they don't come back to haunt me

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am having the same problem with my front suspension its even noisey on small bumps,I will be taking it to the main dealer next week hope that they can find the problem

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
my front right strut seems to enjoy a good shake and rattle when i hit a minor bump or a non-smooth surface (i try to avoid the bigger ones)

that being said it has only started to do it since i had it lowered, so it could be that to blame, but there appears to be a problem with it here... time for coilovers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the info my model is a 1.4 hdi the front end seems to become worse in the past few weeks will see if they can get it fixed once i take it to the dealers

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Has anybody found an exact solution for this? I'm not sure but my 208 Active seems to have the similar problem. The front-right part is squealing when the road isn't even. Plus, my car is 2014 model, so the suspensions shouldn't be faulty by factory.

I first thought the noise was coming from the front windows, but i'm still not sure. I'll take it to the dealer next week i hope.

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
I had this problem with my RCZ, after 18 visits to the dealer and countless parts changed it turned out to be the engine mounts, they loosened them off and re torqed them and the problem was solved, thats why at 2 year old I traded in for my GTI.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
My 64 Reg GTi with 5000 miles is making creaking noises from what appears to be the front left. The noise is particularly more noticeable under these conditions:

1. Hard turn down left on the steering wheel combined when on steep inclines and declines.
2. Reversing out of a parking space in the morning when the steering wheel is in a full lock to the left
3. Mounting the car on the left hand curb causing the car to raise off the ground.

I have had the front struts replaced, top mount, wheel bearing, complete new shock absorber, engine mounts have been looked at to!

Car is still making the noise and it is under further investigation by a Peugeot dealer.

The noise does not appear to occur when going over speed bumps or small dips / potholes in the road and is clearly linked to the steering wheel and especially when the wheel goes into a hard down left.

Can anyone advise what else can be investigated?

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
The 207 suffered from this quite badly too. There were a number of "Info flashes" that involved using a lubricant on the steering gear somewhere. It seemed to work on my old 207 GTi.

Recently, my 208 GTi is now making this annoying knock/rattle when turning into my driveway, which is a left turn down a slope. In my case, it appears to be coming from the driver's side, but it's always when turning to the left and braking - usually at very slow speeds.

It's just about to go in for its first service, so I guess the fun begins.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts