1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just did this week 3 mods in my Brazilian 208:

1st - changed the simple speedo/cluster to the european version
2nd - installed a 8" Focal iBus subwoofer
3rd - installed the video interface so now I can watch TV and also connect my smartphone via HDMI so I can have its screen in the SMEG, so I can watch videos and also use apps in the car dash.

Here I have 2 videos:
- just showing the video playback from the Digital TV Tuner:

http://s8.photobucket.com/user/ericksoares/media/208/SMEG/unlock/MOV_1238_zps3070aafa.mp4.html

- here I explain the system, but it is in portuguese (sorry for that). If someone is interested on that, I can make another version in english:

http://s8.photobucket.com/user/ericksoares/media/208/SMEG/unlock/MOV_1267_zps0823d1e3.mp4.html

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will prepare a video in english soon and upload it here.
Before that, I will share some information for those who might be interested.

This modification might void warranty. So anyone attempting to do it, please be carefull. It is safe to be done, but must be done by someone who understands what is doing.

I'm an electronic engineer and I always install my headunit, amps and other accessories. First I removed the simple cluster/speedo dashboard used in the brazilian version and installed the european model which has a complete trip computer. There was no cable/connector to do that, so I had to rebuild the cable from BSI to the speedo/cluster. Worked fine. And now in Brazil I'm the only one so far with an european complete dashboard.
After that , my second modification was installing a Focal iBus 2.0 , which I got recommendation here in this forum. So I could add a small and compact subwoofer but with very good quality.
And my third modification was the video unlock. I disassembled a few times my SMEG to study and understand all connections, cables and so on.

The installation is quite simple, but you need a few parts. It comes with a pre-built Quad Lock cable, so it is almost plug and play to be used:
ORIGINAL Quad Lock cable from SMEG:

Additional Quad Lock plug and play cable:

When you remove the touch screen, a new LVDS cable will be used. In fact, the original LVDS cable sends the signal from SMEG to the video unlock interface unit, and a new cable send back the LVDS signal to the touch screen monitor.
For those who are not familiar, this is the LVDS original cable:

This is the video unlock interface, which will give you: 1 RCA AV Input (Audio & Video 1) + 1 RCA V Input (Video 2) + RGB Video Input (for external or additional GPS, or HDMI-RGB converter for smartphone, or others) + 1 RCA V Input for Reverse Camera

And this one here is the HDMI-RGB converter which I also added so I can have my smartphone via HDMI in my SMEG monitor. I can see pictures, videos, music and also applications/internet. In this case, SMEG screen has the same screen as my mobile phone.

To watch video, I just need to hold MENU button in the touch screen panel for 3 seconds and it changes to HDMI . If I keep it pressed for another 3 seconds, I have AV1 input. If I keep it pressed again, it will go back to original SMEG screen.

The audio for the video uses SMEG AUX input. So when you use the video unlock interface, you will not have AUX input anymore available to plug direct a device in the center console, as the AUX will be used by a RCA connector which comes in the Quad Lock plug & play cable.

The big problem to install all those items:
- there isn't much place in the dashboard to install all those boxes and hide them. In my case, I didn't install a DVD player. I installed a Digital TV Tuner via RCA video and the HDMI for the smartphone. Even only with 2 boxes (1 for Digital TV Tuner and 1 for HDMI converter) I had some hard time to find free space behind the dashboard to do that. I had to remove the glovebox and use some free space behind and beside the glovebox
- the Reverse Camera RCA input was noise. I'm still investigating to fix it. So I installed a Citroen C4 reverse camera which can fit properly in the same place as the license plate light. But as the image was noise, I disabled the Reverse Camera for now. If I can fix it, I will use. I changed by another camera and the problem is the same, so I know the problem is in the video unlock interface. If I can't fix it, I will keep just the original reverse distance sensor.
- I didn't like much because it has 2 Video inputs + HDMI/RGB but it only has 1 audio input. So in order to have Digital TV + Smartphone, I also needed to install a audio switcher.I would expect to have 2 video inputs with independent audio input, but that is a current limitation.

Hope it makes clear for those who are interested in that kind of video interface.

Some people might want to install a 1/2 DIN DVD player to playback videos. Others may use iPod or any other device.

If someone ask about playback video via USB, no it is not possible. As I explained, all video is received via RCA video inputs, so if you want to have a USB pendrive with music shows or video clips or movies, you will need a device to playback from USB and output as regular video to a RCA cable.

In that case, SMEG continues original with all features. When taking to the Peugeot Authorized dealer, they will not notice anything at all, as there is no sign of video or modification.

Before doing that, I did a 3 months investigation to find the proper model to install.
Here in Brazil there were 3 companies offering it, but all of them were using Korean manufacturers. After a long investigation , I found out that:
- Qdis in Korea is the most traditional for video interface unlock, but I didn't like their solution: to install properly, the flat cable used for the touchscreen panel must be cut . I don't like cutting any original wire.
- Navitech in Korea is also known. Their solution is plug and play, with no wire cuts. Just need to get +12V ACC from the fusebox to control (ON/OFF) external devices such as Digital TV Turner, HDMI converter and others. That's what I used.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
was looking to install a Pioneer Sub in the wheel well of my Gti when it arrives in Jan. I already have one in my DS3. Does anyone know how this is best connected to the Factory fit head unit in a Gti?

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
w4yne said:
was looking to install a Pioneer Sub in the wheel well of my Gti when it arrives in Jan.  I already have one in my DS3.  Does anyone know how this is best connected to the Factory fit head unit in a Gti?
As far as I know, SMEG is the same for GTI and other versions. SMEG doesn't have line output via regular RCA connectors as expected to drive an amp+sub. So you will need an amplifier able to accept hi-level input to get the signal directly from the speakers output, or get a hi-level -> RCA line converter

I just wanted a subwoofer to fill the missing bass so the Focal iBus was very convenient as it is small and has an amp and hi-level input making setup much easier. My original plan was building a custom box in wheel well + compact class D amp but I gave up that idea.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Thanks, the amp I already have has both RCA & Hi-level input.

Is the He'd unit easy to get at?? Where is it located??

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bom dia Eric ! Você disse que conseguiu melhoras no dashboard ?? Pode explicar um pouco melhor que tipo de melhoria ?? Tenho um 208 Premier, sou de Porto Alegre. Abraço.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
From the pictures I can see that the radio head unit is located behind the touch screen. How do you get the touch screen away from the main dashboard?? Also did you get theNavitech direct from Korea or is there a European supplier???

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
as I promissed, here is the video for the video unlock interface in english !

Hope you can understand it !

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
w4yne said:
From the pictures I can see that the radio head unit is located behind the touch screen.  How do you get the touch screen away from the main dashboard??  Also did you get the <span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">Navitech direct from Korea or is there a European supplier???</span><span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">
</span>
W4yne,
you are right ! The HU is behind the touch screen . To remove the touchscreen, you need some sharp tool to pull up the whole frame around the screen. It will come out as single piece including the menu/volume buttons.
After that, you will be able to remove 2 screws on top of the screen . And after that, by using the same sharp tool you can pull the screen up.

See some pictures here:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a10/ericksoares/208/SMEG/DSC_0905_zps42c6f9a5.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a10/ericksoares/208/SMEG/DSC_0908_zpsaa291c7c.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a10/ericksoares/208/SMEG/DSC_0909_zps52709766.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a10/ericksoares/208/SMEG/DSC_0914_zps96a13449.jpg

About the video interface, I got from Navitech. I have direct contact with the factory. If you want help to buy it, and you have paypal account to make direct payment, I can put you in direct contact with them and you can buy it if you want. Just let me know so I can help you.

tclaus said:
Bom dia Eric ! Você disse que conseguiu melhoras no dashboard ?? Pode explicar um pouco melhor que tipo de melhoria ?? Tenho um 208 Premier, sou de Porto Alegre. Abraço.
tclaus,
eu instalei o painel de instrumentos do Europeu, que tem um computador de bordo muito mais completo sem contar que medidor de combustível e de temperatura é de precisão, com ponteiros. Nada dos leds que não deixam saber a real medição.

In english:
I installed the cluster/speedo from the European version which is much more complete in the central trip computer. And the temp and fuel gauge is also regular analog by using needle style, instead of the digital LED. I prefer the needle as it is much more accurate.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
w4yne said:
Many thanks,  I just need to get my car first 

don't worry !
I started investigation for unlocking even before buying my 208.
When I ordered the 208 in the dealer, I was ready to order the video unlock interface.

So I ordered both at same time. The unlock interface arrived before my car!

If anyone wants to use a DVD, all you need is:
- video unlock interface unit
- 1/2 DIN slim DVD player to fit in the glovebox for example

Here some links with some ideas and option. I didn't buy any of them so I don't know if they would be good or not. But these are some ideas.

This first one seems to be the one with more features and very cheap:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Stock-half-din-1-2din-USB-SD-iPod-car-DVD-player-flat-vertical-angle-mounting-/121233007586?pt=Car_Audio_In_Dash_Receivers&hash=item1c3a0ce3e2

And a few more:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HUMMER-1-2-DIn-Mount-DVD-Player-Model-90-0161-by-VizuaLogic-/161160623882?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2585ebf70a

http://www.ebay.com/itm/In-Car-Half-1-2-Din-Size-DVD-Player-USB-SD-CARD-MP3-AVI-DIVX-MPEG-/261345848006?pt=UK_Audio_TV_Electronics_In_Car_Entertainment_GPS_In_Car_Audio_Players_PP&hash=item3cd96d2ac6

http://www.ebay.com/itm/POWER-ACOUSTIC-PADVD-490-NEW-HALF-DIN-DVD-PLAYER-/261354445601?pt=Car_Audio_In_Dash_Receivers&hash=item3cd9f05b21

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Farenheit-DVD-45-Half-DIN-Universal-Remote-Mount-DVD-CD-MP3-Receiver-/160998210660?pt=US_Video_In_Dash_Units_w_o_GPS&hash=item257c3dbc64

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DVD-45-FARENHEIT-1-2-DIN-SLIM-THIN-IN-DASH-CAR-DVD-CD-MP3-USB-SD-PLAYER-NEW-/120820680587?pt=Car_Audio_In_Dash_Receivers&hash=item1c2179478b

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Do you know what SOT (quad lock) connector it is for the SMEG system?? I don't want to damage the wires when I fit my Sub. There are loads about SOT-40 then letters, or SOT 16 ???

I am just looking for an extender cable, then I can connect in on that.

Many thanks

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
w4yne said:
Do you know what SOT (quad lock) connector it is for the SMEG system?? I don't want to damage the wires when I fit my Sub.  There are loads about SOT-40 then letters, or SOT 16 ???  

I am just looking for an extender cable, then I can connect in on that.

Many thanks 
frankly speaking I don´t know.
I received my unlock interface unit with the Quad Lock cable for plug and play installation.
I tried to find quad lock , male and female connector, to build up an extension cable, and I could not find full pinout quad lock connector.

The quad lock has 3 areas: area A , for speakers/power connectionr. Area B for additional devices/ cd player / external cd changer . Area C for can bus data and communication with other devices.

The 208 has and uses all those 3 areas. So you need to find a connector with all those connections.

If you just want to add speakers and build up a complete extension, you will need that. I saw in ebay some quad lock to ISO adapters, both Male and Female versions. But when you go to the ISO connector, you will not be able to extend area C, which I´m not sure SMEG will work fine without it.

If you just want to add a Subwoofer for example, you can use crimp connectors, so you don´t need to cut wires and get the signals direct from original loom. So not cuting wires, you will not have any warranty issues

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Hi Erik I have now seen my car, get it Monday. Can you please send me the details of your contact in Navitec. Also how much did you pay for the system?? Many thanks

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
w4yne said:
Hi  Erik I have now seen my car, get it Monday.  Can you please send me the details of your contact in Navitec.  Also how much did you pay for the system?? Many thanks
Nice ! And congratulations for the new car !
I paid us$225 for the unlock interface + shipping.
The HDMI converter I bought is not anymore available.now they have this option,which offers smart mirroring for android phone with more features, and costs around us$185+ shipping

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6EDAezC3rs&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Will share via pm email contacts

1 - 20 of 57 Posts