Peugeot 208 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning all!<div id="post_message_662650" style="font-family: verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: normal;">
I am thinking of buying a new 208 GTi but I have never owned a Peugeot before, so I would appreciate any feedback you could give me on the GTi itself and Peugeots customer service.

Are there any major mechanical issues that I should know about, or does the car seem quite reliable in general?

I was very impressed with the interior when I took it out for a test drive, but how well does it age? Has anyone noticed any annoying rattles after a couple of thousand miles on the clock?

What is Peugeots after sales service like? In your experience, is it is painless or painful to get any issues sorted under warranty?

I LOVE my hot hatches and Peugeot is one of only makes left that I haven't owned. Any advice would be appreciated

<div ="vbseo_s" id="lkbtn_1.102210.662650" style="clear: both; font-size: 11px; : relative; margin: 10px 0px; font-family: verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif; line-height: normal;"><ul ="vbseo_s" style="visibility: ; padding: 10px; margin: 0px; width: auto;">[/list]

·
Premium Member
506 Posts
I was in a very similar position before buying mine , never had a pug before !
All in all i'm very pleased with my GTi , no rattles after 8500 miles ..
After owning BMW & Audis i find you have to push the customer service a little more to achieve the same result but otherwise no complaints !

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Mine has just over 10500 miles, no rattles or any mechanical issues. Only problem I find is the grill/bonnet gets a lot of stone chips and flies.
My family has had pugs for years, no major problems in 15 years of having them.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
I have the same issue with stone chips and flies. The clutch pedal was creaky when I bought the car, so that was replaced. But that's the only major thing that has been done. It was done quickly under warranty.

I'm absolutely in love with my car! The gf gets a bit jealous lol

It's much better than the mini cooper s I had and it's a real head turner. Being a new/used car salesman, I know and have driven most cars on the market and I must say I am impressed with this one.

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Love driving my GTI, much better than my previous car BHP 200 RCZ, in the first year all that has needed attention was the alarm had to be re programed due to sounding of it's own free will at various times.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Like every one else have had no problems wot so ever I'm on 9000 miles
And only had recall problems but all done very quickly under warranty by peugeot.Love the car
And find it great fun would recommend buying one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Its my first Peugeot , its had some issues like an oil leak, creaking door and now its burning a bit of oil (just had to add a litre of oil) but i have 13,000kms (8,000mi) in it and love it, wouldn't dream of another car and this is after having a handful of new cars in the past.

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Think the only thing that I have heard is the oil drinking. Had to top mine up with a liter a few months back. And I'm sure a few others have. I've also just got the creak from the boot started but duffys got the answer to square it away.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks again for the input everyone. One question, could anyone confirm what the annual service intervals are? I have found contradicting reports online of either 12k or 20k every 12 months. Many thanks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Oil consumption of around 1 litre to approx every 1k - 1.2k miles is perfectly normal with the THP engine.

Major faults of the THP engine are the timing slipping, Inlet valves clogging (wont be a problem on the 208 yet but will happen in the future) and fuel pumps. All of which will be covered under warranty with the 208 anyway so no big deal :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I put my deposit down on a white GTi Prestige today, will post some pics when I pick her up :)
Thanks again everyone for your advice. Looking forward to owning my first Peugeot!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi there is a problem with the engine on certain 208 GTI models, where the timing gear valve I think it was and the whole Cylinder head has to be replaced. This happened on mine recently, after the engine warning light kept coming on and loss of power. Peugeot wouldn't admit it was a common problem, but a few people on here had had the same problem

·
Premium Member
506 Posts
dfejones said:
I put my deposit down on a white GTi Prestige today, will post some pics when I pick her up :)
Thanks again everyone for your advice. Looking forward to owning my first Peugeot!
great stuff !!!!

how long do you have to wait ? ? must be painful

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mine's a year old this week, started about 9 months old with engine warning light on and off. I had to fight like mad with Peugeot Customer Service and my dealership to get the problem resolved. My car ws off the road for 1 month, only got it back at the beginning of June. Love the car though, but wouldn't of bought it if I had know about the fault. As it was a new model its difficult to predict the future.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.