Peugeot 208 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does anyone know, how much screenwash should I expect to lose through evaporation? On my newish 208 I filled it into the neck but leaving about an inch of room at the top. After seven days the level had gone down two inches, without me using the screenwashers at all. It then continues down at about the same rate - i.e. it doesn't seem to settle at any level. The dealer says there are no leaks and it must be evaporation as "unfortunately it's not a sealed system". I've never noticed losing so much on previous cars. The top image below is 4 October as topped up at its one year service, the bottom is 6 October, screen washers not used in between.

·
Premium Member
1991 205 GTi 1.9 Red ; 2014 208 GTi AE #071 White
382 Posts
i have never heard of this happening. I've had water in for months and months without losing any. Its not a 'sealed system' as in a pressurised system but it certainly isn't an 'open' system either. To blame evaporation to me means that we couldn't be bothered to check. I think you have a small leak somewhere. Best way to check would be to pressurise the system at low pressure and see if it holds. Interested to know what it is....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks acboxer. It's a 208 Pure Tech Allure 130 EAT8 2250 miles, first reg. September 2020 but bought by me as a pre-reg in June 2021 at 780 miles. Maybe a hasty purchase as I could see prices rising quickly. The quality problems take me back to French/Italian cars of 25 years ago tbh. Aside from disappearing screenwash, water vapour is visible inside the offside headlamp and the fabric on the driver's seat squab is starting to wrinkle- at 2500 miles😟. I've also had to touch up the paint where it had flaked off around the same headlamp, the first time I've bought a car and had to do that since 1984! On collection, there was an unattached piece of trim on driver's B pillar. Robins and Day Coventry South completely dropped the ball on the first repair visit, apparently forgetting about the job and failing to order the parts. They got it right the second time after a written complaint. Also the stop start system only works if I connect a trickle charger approximately once a fortnight. That's due to short journeys I'm told. It's a pity because it's an effortless drive, has those lovely digital dials and 17" wheels (both deleted from Allure spec. now) and looks nice in Vertigo Blue.
Re the screenwash: I was suspicious of the tube to the rear wash/wipe initially, because it's obvious there had been some minor repair work on that side (the loose trim, plus burred door bolts suggesting the rear offside door had been rehung) - possibly a prang in Robins and Day's hopelessly overcrowded car park. But I can see no leaks. The screenwash is close to the coolant reservoir as the pics show, and it does heat up noticeably, which is why I accepted the evaporation story at first. I've sometimes found a few drops on the outside of the lid.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update 03/04/2022: problem seems to be evaporation from the flimsy screenwash lid. I put a thin piece of rubber so that it's trapped under the lid on all sides, and this has slowed the loss right down. Also, I experimented with attaching a small balloon over the neck of the reservoir. When I operated the washer stalk I could see the balloon being sucked inwards, so presumably this must mean that the system is airtight (no leaks)? I didn't leave the balloon attached because it tended to make the lid pop up, but the thin layer of rubber seems to do the trick.
My tub of Sainsbury's screenwash has a fire hazard label so it seems that screenwash contains a spirit or solvent to remove grease, so it would evaporate easily, especially as it gets warm in the 208's engine bay next to the coolant reservoir. Crappy French build quality lives on it seems.

·
Premium Member
1991 205 GTi 1.9 Red ; 2014 208 GTi AE #071 White
382 Posts
Good to know mate. Great info

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. Can anyone tell me what the total capacity is for screenwash in all-new 208 petrol 130? I'd like to see what percentage is going missing after one month with no use of washers. I've been taking photos every two days and it seems likely that the level will have dropped below the filler neck - and so will be invisible - after one month. Car is going into Robins & Day Coventry South for investigation on 7 July (second attempt to get this sorted and I want to be forearmed against the usual responses - it's within Peugeot standards/customer is at fault in some way/no fault found)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts