Peugeot 208 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys!

When driving down quieter side roads,I seem to be able to hear all I can describe as a scratchy metal sound. The noise is louder when driving passed parked cars but not as prominent when on a main road with lots of other traffic. From what I can make out, its the drivers front wheel that it is coming from. And it stops when braking.

I got the tyre place to check my brake pads when they were altering my tracking which was out and they said the brake pads were fine. They also took it for a drive but said they couldn't hear a noise.

Does anyone know what this could be please!? My car has done 2750 miles and is coming up to a year old at the start of August.

Thanks in advance for any advice! :)

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Hi, I'm astonished that the tracking was out after such a low mileage. This is something your dealer should correct either as a warranty issue or at the next annual service. As to your metallic scratching noise, the usual possibilities are :-

1. Something such as a piece of grit trapped between the brake disc and the pads.

2. Something catching on the brake disc as it rotates.

Definitely something for your dealer to check out.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks NickyNoogle!

I asked my dealer about the tracking as my steering wheel was slightly off centre, they told me it would be £45 to look at the tracking and wasn't under warranty as it was more than likely off from hitting a pothole or kerb! I agreed to paying that, but on the 2 occasions they had my car in to change the rubber door seals, they failed to have time to look at the tracking! So I took it to a tyre place who charged me less than half what my dealer quoted!

Thanks for the ideas of what the scratchy noise could be. Again, the last time my car was at the dealers, I did ask them to look at what was causing this (plus the tracking) but they again didn't have time!

I have been worried it could be something serious, so will make sure they definitely look into it when it goes in for its first service on 2nd August!

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Hi, thanks for that, I think I would be looking for a new dealer if mine kept telling me they didn't have time to look at problems for me.

Hope you manage to get it sorted though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts