Peugeot 208 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title suggests I have questions about a stage 1 remap.

I have searched through various older posts however the information is varied.

I have a stock 208 GTI (208hp/euro6) which I want more power out of. I’ve spoken to a handful of remap companies and they have stated a stage one is feasible with no hardware mods with the car likely reaching 230bhp with 360-370nm of torque. One even quoted 390nm of torque which sounds unrealistically high based on previous Posts.

Can somebody advise whether i should have any hardware upgrades before a stage one?

If you advise hardware upgrade, what specific upgrades do you advise? (I suspect fmic amongst other things)

What should I expect to gain from a stage 1 remap?

Would the clutch handle a stage one without issue? (Provided the clutch is in good condition)

·
Premium Member
1991 205 GTi 1.9 Red ; 2014 208 GTi AE #071 White
382 Posts
The figures you have been given are pretty close to the mark. The gains you can expect is dependant on the overall condition of the engine and a good tuner will map it and extract the best tune accordingly rather than just going for max gains without considering the current parameters and health of your engine. Understandably this could cause major issues in the future.
It is true that hardware upgrades are not required for a stage one but obviously every bit helps. The intercooler is really the piece that limits a tune. It just doesn't handle the extra heat very well and soaks up pretty quickly. To be honest, I would have probably gotten the same or similar results with my remap with the stock IC, but it didn't make sense to leave it stock. My thought was that I would rather have my intercooler provide the perfect air temps no matter what as opposed to pushing the stock unit to its limit which may compromise not only performance but other components. Pug1Off fmic all the way!
The other upgrades I did personally were to address some known weak points under the hood such as diverter valve and hard pipe kit. It is known that the factory diverter valve diaphragm can split due to average quality and that it is possible for the plastic pipework to crack and have bits getting into the turbo. Although rare to happen, I chose not to take that risk.
The clutch is strong and will take a stage 2 without an issue. No need to upgrade.
What you can expect from a stage one should be discussed with the tuner so make sure you use someone reputable and someone who actually gives a sh#t!! I spoke to my guy and didn't want all my gains to be at the peak of the rev range. After all, who red-lines their car in every gear before changing up on the road? (on the odd occasion sure). So it was agreed to concentrate more in the mid-range where 95% of my real world driving will be. She now punches through the meat of the rev range superbly. If it was a track car, then I would have had it tuned accordingly.

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
Gas Auto part Motor vehicle Radiator Machine

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Auto part Automotive design

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
Great answer mate, I was going to ask the same as the guy above myself....but now i dont need to ;)
Can also highly recommend B14 coilovers all round. A huge transformation to the car and complements the remap perfectly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts