Peugeot 208 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Peugeot 208 GTI on a 18 plate.

The exhaust tone between 70 - 80 mph makes a droning sound in the cabin which after a while can be quite annoying. The exhaust tone is great when going up and down the gears, particularly when making progress. If I sit at 50 mph in 5th or 6th gear there is no droning sound.

I have had the car from new and no modifications have been put onto any part of the car.

Does anybody know if this is a design problem on the GTI? Or may there be a fault on my car?

Note, it has done this from new.

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
I've had two GTIs and they were the same. Any speed more than 30mph mean I can't hear the radio unless it is on at an ear bleeding volume.

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
Can't say I ha e noticed this on my BPS 18 Plate, though the standard GTi does have a deeper note to the exhaust than the BPS.

Have you checked the exhaust clamps incase the drone is vibration of the clamps or worn bracket rubbers?

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2017 Prestige. I noticed that there is no mid silencer on the exhaust, just the back box, when I jacked it up to do some work the other day. I'm not sure if the previous owner had it taken out or if it came like that from the factory.
I have seen some posts stating that some of the facelifts came like that from the factory on a Facebook owners club. How true that is, I don't know.

It maybe worth having a look under yours to see if there is a mid silencer or not.

Mine drones a bit at motorway speeds but it's not what I would consider excessive. I've owned a few hot hatches over the years and they've all had a bit of a drone at 70mph. Wind/tyre noise also isn't great. But being a hot hatch I wouldn't expect it to have the same sort of comfort levels as say a bigger Audi or BMW, where the metals on the bodywork and sound deadening is generally a lot more generous. The bodywork metal on the 208 and a lot of smaller hot hatches is rather thin. They're not really designed for comfort cruising.

My friend has the new Fiesta ST and even when that's set to eco/normal with the valve closed in the exhaust, that's meant to make it quieter, it still drones a bit at motorway speeds.

If it's really bothering you and you plan to keep the car mid-long term you have two options.

1. Have a mid silencer fit in the exhaust if there isn't already one there or look at changing the exhaust completely to an aftermarket one. Milltek resonated is meant to be quite good but drone wise I'm not sure how much better it would be. They are said to be one of the better ones for not droning much at speed.

2. Look in to sound deadening. I would imagine if you did the footwells/floor, boot, doors and rear quarter skins it would make a fair difference on overall road/wind noise and drone. Won't eliminate it completely, but will help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts