Peugeot 208 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the forum members views on pressure washing or rotary car washes.
I, myself would not touch them.

I find that I can wash my 208 with shampoo, bucket and sponge, then hose down. I then give it a blast up the road to blow the water away, and then chammy off to finish. In fact I find the 208 easier and quicker to wash than my previous 207.

I would expect high pressure washing to have some effect on the Autoglym High Definition Wax I use, am I correct. As for as rotary washes go, I call them "Wash and Scratch"

My 208 1.2VTI Allure 3 Door in Rioja Red is looking real good now with it's fourth coat of Autoglym HD Wax, since new on 17th May 2013,just applied.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
HI, definitely agree with you on pressure washers. I don't like the thought of small particles being pressed firmly into the paintwork. I find a bucket of proprietary car wash and a sponge work really well followed by a chamois and finished with a microfibre towel. Always comes up looking good.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
I disagree. I use a Karcher pressure washer for a 'pre-wash' with a foam canon to bury the car in foam to loosen the dirt and then, after about 5-10minutes, rinse off at medium pressure. By that time the foam solution has softened, lifted and captured most of the dirt off the paint. After that I use a two bucket wash method to wash the car. This is my full detailing regime:
http://208oc.com//index.php?topic=142.0

Also, recommend that you don't use a sponge as they can pick up dirt and hold it against your paint surface as you wipe the car down. Quality MF mitts and sheepskin on the other hand will hold particles away from the surface but let them go when you rinse the mitt in your wash/rinse bucket.
P.S. Using the 'pre-wash' method described above I have not noticed any deterioration of my Autoglym HiDef wax coats. Once 'cured' a good wax or sealant should be durable. The surface prep for your wax or sealant I see as very important if a good bond is to be created. If done well, your shine should last a long time. But then again I use a gentle wash liquid that should be leaving the sealant and wax alone.
P.P.S. I love the term "Wash & Scratch" because incorrect car washing procedure will do exactly that over time.

Edited by: esterhazy

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Hi, thanks for the information. Unfortunately I stand by my views on pressure washers ever since I hired one to clean my patio. It came complete with a manufacturer's warning not to use it on vehicle paintwork for the reasons I mentioned earlier. Mind you this was a few years ago now so I guess more recent variants can adjust the pressure to a more suitable level. Interesting 'take' on sponges though. I take great care not to use excessive pressure when I wash my car with a soapy sponge and I have not noticed any signs of scratching or swirling in all the years that I have been washing my cars in this way.
I must compliment you on your 208, it does look extremely good in the pictures.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Thanks for the compliment. I see your point on the potential risk of the pressure washer. But as you say it depends on the psi pressure that is coming out of the nozzle and how close you are to the surface being cleanedthat is the factor.I only get close for glass and the alloy wheels and tyres. The other major factor is the 'hardness' of the paint. I believe that the recent Pugs have hard paint compared to some other brands I have learned about.Even with the care I take I still see a few scratches on my car when viewed in bright enough light. They could be by me or by the dealers' vehicle prep team who I don't think took as much care as I do now a days. Some pro detailers recommend that when buying a new car to ask the dealer not to prep/clean the paint or interior but to do it yourself. The next time I buy my next Lambo or Bugatti (LoL) I'll do that.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
But as Nicky correctly pointed out, not all pressure washers are the same. Some are capable of tremendous force that could damage paintwork if used incorrectly IMO. Research, training and common sense are useful in doing the job right.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts