Peugeot 208 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have come to this site not as a 208 owner but curious whether to consider shortlisting one. The 1.2 would be the model of interest.

The thing that caught my attention is that the low steering wheel has met criticism in the press; I don't like the accepted standard for a high steering wheel. Also unusual is that here is a new car that goes against the trend of ever increasing lardyness!

However, I am suspicious about how well a 1.2 is up to the job. I am not concerned about 0-60 time but do consider that the 30-80 region matters. This comes down to gear ratios but unfortunately I can't find anything on this. For instance, if 5th gear is 20mph/1000rpm (109mph = 5450rpm), I estimate a 50-70 time of 12.7 seconds. If it's 22mph/1000rpm (109mph = 4950rpm) it goes up to 14.8 seconds. A difference between respectable and adequate.

Obviously 3rd and 4th gear would also be affected in proportion. It's subtle but significant and difficult to assess properly in a test drive. Is any info known to be available on this? (I don't mind whether it is offered as ratios, speed/1000 or measured increments.)

·
Registered
33 Posts
I found the 1.2 just that little bit too slow for my driving style and conditions (50% town/50% motorway), on the other hand the 30-80 punch is there, but requires keeping the power in-band. Gearing didn't appear to be that much shorter or taller than my 1.4 (3250RPM at 70 on the 1.4, 3500 on the 1.2 IIRC). What was the kicker that made me get the 1.4 was in fact the 1.2 seemed a bit more hesitant on inclines, given I live in a fairly hilly city that was a definite negative. That could have been me though. The other thing was that I found the 1.2 very clattery on cold start until it warmed up, whereas the 1.4 could be a little hoarse to begin with but seemed to cope with the cold a little better. Important for me what with Scandinavian winters (not that the UK has been exempt the past couple of years!).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
götepug said:
I found the 1.2 just that little bit too slow for my driving style and conditions (50% town/50% motorway), on the other hand the 30-80 punch is there, but requires keeping the power in-band. Gearing didn't appear to be that much shorter or taller than my 1.4 (3250RPM at 70 on the 1.4, 3500 on the 1.2 IIRC).
Thanks. So that looks like 20/1000 and 21.5/1000 on the face of it. On the basis of those numbers, my 50-70 estimates come to 12.7 and 12.3 seconds. Not a significant difference.

I have previously had cars do 50-70 in the 16-18 second bracket and it would be unacceptable to return to that. It is just enough to maintain speed up most motorway inclines and although it is possible to downshift, it makes driving a chore. At the moment I have a 1.6 diesel but the car is too big for my wife to drive comfortably. Acceleration at speed is a sheer joy but I wouldn't get another diesel because our journey patterns are wrong for a dpf.

Important for me what with Scandinavian winters (not that the UK has been exempt the past couple of years!)
We might complain about one of your main exports but it hasn't been exceptionally cold this winter. It has just been going on for far too long.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts