Peugeot 208 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Handling on 2016 Gti (23000 miles) has seemed to deteriorated over the last few months , to the point where i'm turning into tight corner or roundabout the car feels like the front wheels are going to go from under it. Also it seems very loose when in a straight line and I move the steering wheel from side to side.

I'm due to replace the front tyres on friday (keeping Pilot Sport 3 on) as I noticed they were down to 3mm tread in the middle however on both outer edges they are worn, which has now got me thinking something is going on.
I'm hoping it is a case the tracking is way out and it solves the problem. However I've noticed a sort of rumbling sound ( as though I'm running with a flat tyre) when driving and I'm thinking it could be down to worn shockers/mountings etc. As stated car is 3 1/2 years old with only 23000 miles on it has anyone had a similar problem where the shockers/mountings have failed at such an early stage

Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sometimes worn tyres can give much more road noise, especially when the alignment is out. So it's definitely worth getting a proper 4 wheel, laser alignment done on it, once it has new tyres. The noise could also be a worn wheel bearing, but I would expect a reputable garage to fully check that and the bearings before any alignment work begins.

·
Registered
15 Posts
car feels like the front wheels are going to go from under it
The feeling your describing is either your wheel alignment or your tyers are worn out to the point that they need to be changed ASAP. I had the same feeling on my BPS when I destroyed the outer edge of the tire due to harsh wheel alignment, I had more responsive steering, was fun in the corners, but the tyers went very quickly, and I had the same feeling you did.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
I get a rumble and it feels like I'm driving on the rims when my tyres are cold and I'm doing a tight turn off my drive but once things warm up the noise goes. As for shocks being replaced, mine were changed on my GTI within the first few months of ownership. I also had the rear bushes changed. No problems with the Bps though.
I have noticed a lot more tyre/road noise from the Bps compared to the GTI and although the Bps is fantastic in dry weather it almost becomes a widow maker in the wet regardless of the tyre wear.

·
Registered
15 Posts
although the Bps is fantastic in dry weather it almost becomes a widowmaker in the wet regardless of the tire wear.
I think it's due to the size of the tier, I went from 205/40/18 to 225/40/18 and it's a totally different feeling, the stress on the tier is a lot less, a lot more grip on wet roads and I don't even have to mention how it handles now when it's dry dry :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorted tracking was out on both wheels when I had new tyres put on and the alignment done,now handles like a dream again.
As for the noise it is just tyre noise from the pilot sport 3's. Workmate has them on his Focus RS and its the same in that

1 - 8 of 8 Posts