Peugeot 208 Forums banner

petrol or diesel

11K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  CaptainTooty 
#1 ·
Hi everyone hope you can help. Just placed an order for a 1.4 hdi allure in white. Didn't think much about the DPF thing until ordering via a company lease and had to sign a disclaimer about mileage and the DPFetc. Anyway it will be mostly doing mixedlength journeysof between 10 to 30 minutes with less frequent longer journeys. Anyway I am in a dilemma now wondering if I should of gone for the 1.2 petrol because of the DPF issue. Anybody had issues with DPF clogging or is it less of a problem these days.

#2 ·
Spoken to the lease company and the diesel is on hold as I've not driven the 1.2. I ruled it out because of the engine size. Had a conversation with Matt the sales manager at Stoneacre at Dewsbury, very helpful. He told me it's the larger diesel engines that suffer more with the DPF issue but I should try the 1.2. He says they are so popular he only has one left that's available to drive and it's out with a customer till the end of the week. So I am waiting till then, however I would love people with a 1.2 to comment regarding how it drives and does it feel a bit more powerful than you would expect from a 1.2.

#3 ·
Hi, I have the 1.2 petrol active model and I think it is very nippy, great engine to have when driving round town and a smooth cruiser on the motorway I was shocked when I first drove it to how responsive it was., I may be wrong but I'm led to believe that they've discontinued the 1.4 petrol because of the popularity of the 1.2

#4 ·
I have a 1.6 e-hdi and never heard of such DPF issues and have no issues with the diesel engine its so much smoother compared to the jumpy and lively 1.2. Felt like a go kart or a town car. Not very nice on a long run. I test drove the 1.4 hdi but noticed the lack of bhp compared to 1.6. Good luck though,

#6 ·
I have a 1.2 Allure, and have no problems. Drives nice and smooth on the motorway, and I overtake with no problems.
Its very nippy, and feels like it has more power than you would expect from a 1.2.
I can go down the motorway in the fast lane with no problems from the bigger cars.
My previous car was a Z3 with a straight 6 2.2 engine, and all my
previous cars in the last 20 years have been 2 litre, so I know what
it's like to drive a more powerful car.
If your a "boy racer" and try to floor it then yes you will notice the lack of power, but driven normally it's great.
I'm currently averaging 48mpg, most of that 70mph (ahmm +). MPG was lower to start with, but as I've done more miles and the engine has loosened up the mpg has got better.

Edited by: Gio

#7 ·
I have a 308hdi but I'm switching to White 1.4hid 208 allure next month, my 308 have never had a problem & for the last year Ive mostly done short runs, never had a problem, I've gone for the 208hdi for some of that 85mpg, lol OK prob 65 round town, but that's better than 45 in my 308 round town.
Lets hope we both enjoy our cars.

#8 ·
Thanks guys. I have bitten the bullet and cancelled the diesel and gone for the petrol. It must of been an omen but the diesel I went to drive was faulty, engine light on and smoking and that was a showroom fresh unregistered model. Found the 1.2 petrol quite nippy and found the engine note quite addictive, although that only seemed to be on hard acceleration so wont be doing that when I am paying for the fuel!! Didn't realise the 3 door gets half leather which is a bit annoying as I need the 5 door for practicality.

#9 ·
Hi Steve, sounds like a good choice to me. I opted for the 1.2 petrol in 5 door format and while it can't quite match the diesel for basic MPG the cheaper cost of unleaded somewhat makes up for it. I find the three cylinder engine is very quiet at tickover or cruising in 5th and only really sound a little harsh (but not unpleasantly so) under acceleration. I think this is helped by the interesting gear spacings between 1st and second (1st being vey low requiring a quick change to 2nd) and the large gap between 4th and 5th which obviously makes for very economical higher speed cruising. I'm still running in at the moment but I can get 55+ MPG on a good run and usually get 40+ on short trips around town.

#10 ·
think i will take the car back to the dealer as i cannot get anywhere near that MPG i was getting 55 MPG form my Alfa Mito 1.3 diesel , our 208 1.2 is horrible to drive changing from 1st to 2nd its almost like it got a misfire 3rd to 4th its like it has a big flat spot maybe the poor MPG is the fact i have to rev it harder to make it go at the moment i am not liking tho car at all

#13 ·
Hi, hope you manage to get the problems sorted out. I have a 1.2 Active and have definitely not got a problem between 3rd and 4th gears. The only real issue is the very low first gear which means a very quick change to 2nd just after pulling away.Just a case of my having to change my driving style to suit. There is also a large gap between 4th and 5th but since most of my driving is in urban situations (where 30 or 40 is the limit) I rarely need to use 5th. Did you ever get to test drive the 1.2 and did this problem show up on the test car at all?

#14 ·
no dealer did not have a 1.2 to test drive so we went out in a 1.4 but all the reviews raved about the 1.2 so thats why we got it , I all so own a 2012 diesel smart car which i can honestly say is nicer to drive and more nippy and does 60 MPG if dealer cannot sort it out my think off getting rid of it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.