Peugeot 208 Forums banner

petrol or diesel

11K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  CaptainTooty 
Hi Steve, sounds like a good choice to me. I opted for the 1.2 petrol in 5 door format and while it can't quite match the diesel for basic MPG the cheaper cost of unleaded somewhat makes up for it. I find the three cylinder engine is very quiet at tickover or cruising in 5th and only really sound a little harsh (but not unpleasantly so) under acceleration. I think this is helped by the interesting gear spacings between 1st and second (1st being vey low requiring a quick change to 2nd) and the large gap between 4th and 5th which obviously makes for very economical higher speed cruising. I'm still running in at the moment but I can get 55+ MPG on a good run and usually get 40+ on short trips around town.

Hi, hope you manage to get the problems sorted out. I have a 1.2 Active and have definitely not got a problem between 3rd and 4th gears. The only real issue is the very low first gear which means a very quick change to 2nd just after pulling away.Just a case of my having to change my driving style to suit. There is also a large gap between 4th and 5th but since most of my driving is in urban situations (where 30 or 40 is the limit) I rarely need to use 5th. Did you ever get to test drive the 1.2 and did this problem show up on the test car at all?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.