Peugeot 208 Forums banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
My final post on this forum, to which I offer my thoughts/advice to those affected by this pearl white paint issue:

If your car is still within the 3 year warranty, then you are fortunate as Peugeot will have to fix it. If they see it best to replace your car for you, then of course DO NOT let them give you a replacement car in this doomed pearl white colour! Unfortunately, they most likely won't entertain the idea of offering you a replacement car, and will instead want to do the cheapest fix possible, which will be a low-grade respray with minimal effort and cost involved. If this is their only fix offered, then get in-writing from them that they will fully sand-back to bare metal and respray all the externally exposed metalwork, stipulating that the respray has to be a perfect colour-match throughout (i.e. matching perfectly with the paint of the plastic bumpers, which they may not respray for you). Once that respray has been completed to a degree which is unnoticeable to an unsuspecting person or a suspecting person that has a 'paint thickness testing device', sell the car immediately! As not only will the repair of potentially unearthed some entirely new issues from the car being partially deconstructed during the respray, but also the paint issue (and therefore the inevitable rusting) will still be occurring on some barely visible areas which did not have the sand-back and respray done on them. In fact even on the resprayed surfaces, the issue will most likely reappear in some way, shape or form depending on how much effort was put into sanding it back, and of course the quality of the respray paint itself.

If your car has this problem and is past the 3 year warranty mark, then you could initially contact your Peugeot deanship and ask them if they will fix it still. By the luck of god you may somehow get them to do it, if they happen to be particularly empathetic people at your dealership. Most likely, however, they won't do anything other than spend months/years fighting against you and ignoring you until you lose the will to live. Remember, refusing to help you and therefore saving Peugeot a ton of money in the process, will certainly not threaten that dealership employee's position, in fact they will most likely be incentivised for it. The 12 year anti-perforation warranty only covers rust coming in from the internal-facing side of the metalwork, rusting right through the metal sheet/panelling to the external-facing side. As this is problem stems from above the metalwork (i.e. at paintwork level), they don't (to the best of my knowledge) have to help you based on that aspect of their warranty. If your blistering paint is in its infancy and therefore still barely noticeable, then I would suggest quickly (and I mean quickly) either trying to sell it to one of the major used car buying organisations out there, praying that they don't notice the problem upon inspection. Or instead, try part-exchanging the car at a dealership that has a car that you like (not another Peugeot, for the love of god!), again hoping that they are so eager to make the sale that they sign the deal before they have time to thoroughly check, notice, and understand the seriousness of the problem with your doomed Peugeot. You may have to try a few dealerships though if initially some of them notice the problem and refuse to entertain any part-ex. If neither of those methods work due to the blistering having become so severe and noticeable, then I'm not sure what to advise... possibly list it on eBay at a low price, declaring the problem in-full, so that maybe someone who either works at, or owns a car bodyshop, sees the car as a 'fixable bargain'??

Turns out, Peugeot have not yet been in the automotive business long enough for them to master the application of pearlescent white paint!

If it wasn't for the paint colour I opted for, then I probably wouldn't be saying this, but what the heck, I think that I deserve to say it:

I'll never buy another Peugeot again, FFS they can't even be bothered building a proper righthand drive version, instead they just make-shift transfer things over from the lefthand side, resulting in a cramped footwell with no room for a footrest plate (that the lefthand drive versions have), leaving a set of foot-pedals that are cramped up too close together.

My parents warned me to stay away from French cars, I chose to ignore their advice. Lesson learnt.

I got rid! And so that's me signing-off of here for good.

I hope this post can possibly help out another 'Pearl Peugeot victim' some day.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My four and a half year old Roland Garros with the white pearl paintwork has developed microblisters all over. It's been inspected by my Peugeot dealers authorised paintwork garage who will report back to the dealers. They told me that I'll be lucky to get any compensation from Peugeot as it's out of guarantee.
This is obviously a common problem with this paint finish. Has anyone had any success in getting Peugeot to take responsibility for what is obviously a manufacturing fault when their car is out of guarantee?

·
Registered
3 Posts
New to forum,will inform you all of my pimpled 208 rolland garros shortly.
My 2015 Roland Garros is blistered all over. It's out of warranty now for paintwork. Has anyone had a good result from their Peugeot dealer with this problem? My car is the white pearl finish. The white paint seems to be the problem.
Hi

Do you still own your car? I have the same problem and am getting nowhere with Peugeot so I am thinking about contacting watchdog - interested?
Has anybody contacted Trading Standards/ Motor Manufacturers Association or any organisation that has any clout to help with this problem?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm late coming to the party as my car has only just developed blisters. Actually I'm gatecrashing as my 208 is actually a pearl white 308cc, but this forum was recomended. The blisters are on most panels, but not all and none on the plastic components. My local Peugeot dealer asked me to take the car to an 'independant' body shop they use. The body shop diaognosed industrial fallout, which is rubbish as there are no perferations to the paintwork. This has been confirmed by two truly independant body shops who confirmed the problem is coming upwards through the paintwork, rather than downwards into it. I contacted Honest John the Telegraph's motoring correspondant, who told me about this forum, and suggested grouping with other affected owners to employ a lawyer to take a Class Action against Peugeot, on a 'No win, no fee basis'. Has anyone had any success with getting Peugeot to accept responsibility, is anyone taking legal action against Peugeot or does anyone have a clue how to do so.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'd had the same thought about getting a group action together against Peugeot.
My dealers in Canterbury got me to take my 208 to their recommended bodywork garage who confirmed it was a known defect, possibly through spraying the paint in damp conditions.
The local dealers were supposed to have contacted Peugeot with my complaint about 6 weeks ago now but I've heard nothing.
People don't seem to be getting any response as individuals. There's strength in numbers - and also cost saving. Let's do something as a group.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts