Peugeot 208 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So our 14 months of owning our two 208 1.4 HDI Actives is over.. Only had a couple of issues with them which, compared to our RCZ was a blessing ... One had a loose A/C bolt that was vibrating and the other a turbo sensor which meant loss of power. The reason we've sold them is there not at all comfy on long trips, there's no support down the sides if the seats and you just tend to roll out of them on every corner also the screen.. although it looks good to have a screen that size it really serves no purpose if you don't have sat nav, I thought there might have been software updates for different themes and apps to download but nothing. So after about several years of owning Peugeot 207's 207 cc 308 and an RCZ it's time to switch brands and we decide on 2 VW Polos
Maybe one day we will return to Peugeot but for now it's time to move on for us

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lol.. I don't agree... So well built compared to the 208 and looks and feels better.. Another thing I forgot to mention was how thin the panels are.. I've never had as many little niggling dents I had , never got them on other Peugeots

·
Registered
26 Posts
I think the fact that you ordered the 'Active' is the reason you were disappointed.

I ordered the 5-door Allure 1.6 e-HDI 92 and it has the best seats I have ever had. Much better than my 206, 207, and 207 SW. They really hold you like a glove, and I don't get a numb bum on a 4 hour drive to Cornwall.

I specified Sat Nav because I had already ordered so many extras it was a mere £150 to pop the Sat Nav in. But I often use TomTom instead.

This may be my 4th and final Peugeot, however, because this had a gearbox fault that was denied for 4 months and then required replacement of all the components on 1st and 2nd gears. I was shocked at how unsupportive Peugeot UK were and for that reason I am inclined to try a new badge next time, and Skoda looks Fab (geddit ?) because they are not as boring as the Polo and cheaper

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Redsimon.. I think your correct about my model choice, but just over 14k each was all we could afford at the time. Before deciding on the Polo we test drove many small cars including the Clio, Ibiza, Fabia, fiesta and corsa and out off all of them the Polo offered us the best in comfort, gadgets ( DAB radio, parking sensors,cruise etc etc) all for 2k less than the equivalent 208 , oh and a three year service plan for £199 and free insurance. I was shocked when we took our 208's in for service and they wanted over £200 each for first services.. I did manage to get them down to £140 each by the way but felt a little peaved that they tried the higher figure out in the first place :-(

·
Registered
26 Posts
Although I had owned 3 Peugeots on the trot, replacing the 3rd one was not automatically going to be a 208. I sampled Skoda, Seat, and Citroen first, and tried to get me hands on the new Renault Clio but was too early.

I test drove the Skoda Fabia Monaco with 105bhp 1600 TDI and this went like sh*t off a shovel, but the suspension was brutally hard. When I investigated a more conventional estate version of the car with the same engine, I found it was a very plain Jane inside and had hardly any toys.

So I tried the Seat Ibiza with the 105bhp engine - essentially the same car as the Fabia, but I couldn't live with the bland interior and lack of modern technology. The drive was also uninspiring.

The Citroen DS3 was great fun, but as I am 6'3" it is only a 3-seater with me driving.

As soon as I sat down in the 208, when the dealer was able to get the correct spec car for a test drive, then I knew it was for me.

However, since then I have investigated the 2008 and wish I had waited for that since my 208 feels small after my 207 SW.

Skoda are upgrading both Yeti and Fabia models and may well be more pleased with those updates. However I am now locked into my Just add Fuel and will be penalised if I try to change in the next 2 years.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Looks better? You sure about that?

My Polo had plenty of problems. Front shock leaking after 18 months, iPod connector completely packed in. To be fair though, I have gone to a GTI

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
JBD...looks wise the 208 does nothing for me, it has a very non descript front end and the rear is pretty much like any other small hatchback... At least the Polo isn't a clone of every other small hatchback.
Everyone has there own opinions of what they want in a car so yes I think the Polo drives and looks nicer than the 208. I'm also aware that all cars will have problems and if that's all you had on the Polo I would be happy with that :) after all its all covered by the warranty.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Good luck with the new cars, you are bound to get a bit of stick switching brands on here so I might as well join in a bit too! lol.

I actually quite like the polo but to me VW do themselves no favours by making it look the same as the golf which is similar to the A3 and Leon.... Just wish they would have a bit of courage and come up with some unique designs.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
I do think vw/seat/skoda/Audi have lost the bottle with car design.
The new golf is by far the most boring car ever, the new octavia looks worse than mk1, the Leon would be even worse were it not saved by some fancy lights.
The original yeti was at least a bit different and had some character, the face lifted one as lost all that.

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Terrier, I agree completely. Looked at a Polo GTi before ordering the 208. Definitely an OLD MAN CAR, and only available with DSG !

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I do find it funny on car forums that when you decide to switch brands, how much people sl*g it off. Let's be straight, were talking about a Peugeot 208 swapping to a VW Polo.. You really can't compare them.. After a week of owning the Polo it's by far a more superior car compared to the 208..even the compared to the RCZ we had.. the build quality, drive and comfort is fantastic and I really do think it's one of the best looking 3 door hatches on the market ( not a clone of every other small car on the market )
With that I hope you continue to enjoy driving your 208's but just remember when you take those rose tinted glasses off , there are much better cars out there ;-)

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
it would be a boring world if we all liked the same things, in all seriousness I am pleased you are happy with the Polo.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I would echo that, hope all goes well with the new cars. As an aside, when choosing the 208 one 'must have' for me was a 3 cylinder engine (I love the sound and the quick revving). Although the Polo has one, it's only 60 or 70 bhp and I read of problems with it.

I'm happy with the 208 - as long as it remains reliable.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts