Peugeot 208 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help please :

I have a 208 GT line 110 1.2 it has been fine for just over three years, 4 months ago bought the car outright final payment etc....

When the car last had a health check the dealer said there was a very minor oil leak but nothing to worry about, but it would need sorting in a few months.

2 weeks after came back from a 200 mile trip and had an oil top up message.

I bought some synthetic oil from the supermarket just for a top up 5W-30 which it said on the container was suitable for Peugeot vehicles.

About a day after I topped up the oil I started getting oil pressure warning lights and engine management yellow light, have the vehicle repaired etc...

I checked and a engine warning light yellow can still be driven.

I carried on driving for a week until I eventually I got the stop light and the car went into full limp home mode.

Today I have been hit with a bill for over £1000 from the Peugeot dealer as the engine has become clogged up with debris and needed a major clean up with an oil change and new filter/sump etc...

My question is can using 5W-30 oil instead of the recommended 0W-30 cause this much damage or was there possibly something else going on that has caused this.

Appreciate any answers, and yes I should not have driven it after the oil pressure light came on I know that now, but any advice appreciated as I am currently not too popular with the wife at the moment!

·
Registered
10 Posts
It's best to go with the manufacturer's recommendations of 0w/30 oil and no you shouldn't drive any distance after the oil warning light comes on. I guess you learned an expensive lesson.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts