Peugeot 208 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1.6thp sounds like a diesel at idle. It's been like it from new. I'm currently at 400 miles and unsure if it will quiet down as the mileage builds. It's not a worrying noise just noisier than you would expect from a new car

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Next time it happens just press the clutch in to see what difference in noise it makes

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Duffy, are you the only other person on here
You responded to my other question.
I hadn't thought of the noise being related to the thrust bearing in the gearbox. The
noise in question can only be heard from outside. Perhaps I'll try with the window down.
Did I read somewhere that the engine is also used in the mini cooper s ?

·
Premium Member
506 Posts
Jonjak said:
Duffy, are you the only other person on here
You responded to my other question.
I hadn't thought of the noise being related to the thrust bearing in the gearbox. The
noise in question can only be heard from outside. Perhaps I'll try with the window down.
Did I read somewhere that the engine is also used in the mini cooper s ?
Duffy is the resident knowlage base for all things hands on !!

Yse the engine is the same one as the mini cooper s / jcw & the ds3 racing !!

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Ahhh but Jonjak... Doing this test doesn't just identify issues with your thrust bearing. When pressing the clutch your activate a lever or piston which applys force to the pressure plate, disengaging drive from the engine..so yes if you press the clutch and a noise appears then its the bearing. However I know its not that and was not thinking of that. What else happens when you press the clutch?

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
This was also reported as issue with the THP engine on the 207 and if I remember correctly was linked to the timing and tension in thechain.This was supposed to have been sorted thoughI know 207's stillhad problems withthis and loss of power. We previously had 207 GTi and experienced the problem with power loss. This was resolved by resetting timing. Was always worried about further problems once out of warranty so was a factor in changing to 208. Still have THP engine and touch wood have not had any problems so far as far as engine is concerned.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Ahhh good shout there! I imagine with the cars only being no more than a year old, that the problem won't occur yet? Im not saying that for certain. Anything is possible. Things usually start to go wrong when they aren't maintained correct ie servicing is late.
Usually what happens with chain timed engines is the tensioner seizes. The tensioner is a little spring powered piston that keeps pressure on a rail that the chain runs along, keeping it timed and taking up slack as the years go by. However not servicing your car regularly means the filter gets blocked up and oil thickens meaning it is harder to get around the engine. Now this little piston is lubricated so it is always free moving. Lack of servicing causes it to seize up, meaning the chain can now stretch without having the slack taken up. Thus giving us our timing issues as it gets more and more behind.
The smaller GM engines are notorious for their chain rattles needles to say ive had to do a few myself.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very interesting. Thanks guys. I have my 1st intrim service on the 11th so will ask them for their advice. Also I will get car out today and wind windows down checking the noise whilst engaging clutch.
I wanted to delay my 1st service! as I argued that I would not do 1k miles in a month. The dealers service dept said it needs to be 1k or 1 month. I then contacted Peugeot about this. I told them that if the 1st service was a nut and bolt check, then I would not be getting a fair check if the mileage was not done. Nuts and bolts don't need checking whilst car is in the garage. They said the 1st service does not effect warranty, and therefore it's timing is not an issue. This is down to your dealer, ask them to extend.
However, as the date is good for me, I'm going to see if I can up the miles a little.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Thats not a service mate. Just a post sale check to make sure everything is still in order. They'll have your car for about an hour and a half and will check wheel bolts, tyres, oils, engine mounts, chassis welds etc etc

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Guys,

Did you ever get to the bottom of this?

Mine is a year and a half old and is rattling away a bit like a diesel. It wasn't like this when i bought it a few months ago, but when i take it to the garage I keep getting told its normal for the THP engine... this can't be true is it?

Should I be insisting that they check the timing chain?

Thanks for any advice.

Dave.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Yes they do sound like a diesel and is normal.

My first encounter with the THP engine was with the DS3 and like you thought I had got diesel. So my when I got my GTI it was no surprise that too also sounded like a bag of old bolts.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What about Turbo rumble. Not sure when mine started as the radio has been hiding it.
But turn it off and there is a definite rumble.?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for the input. Still seems weird to me that it's normal for a sporty petrol engine to sound like a clattery diesel... oh well, one worry off the list anyway.

Jonjak, I turned my radio off (is there a way of doing this permanently rather than just muting every time you get in the car?) and had a right good listen to any noises on the way home from work today - I don't think i'm getting any rumbling noises. Maybe yours has another issue?.. :(

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
jack handle said:
is there a way of doing this permanently rather than just muting every time you get in the car?

From fw 3.17 on your smeg unit, it will remember if you have muted before you turn off your car.
So if you mute the stereo and turn off the car, it will be muted when you start the car again or just start the stereo.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi there, I don't know if the problem I have is the same as in this post, but here goes. About 7 months ago I bought a 2013 XY 1.6 THP with 32000 which had a full service history. I use it to commute 26 miles a day, after about 3 months it was noisy on start up then after about a mile it went away, this was diagnosed as timing chain and this was replaced under warranty and the car appeared ok. Because I have been furloughed from work I have not used the car much but now when you sit at idle the car has a lumpy noise which you can hear inside and out of the car, when you depress the clutch it goes away and comes back when the pedal is released. I was wondering if this had any connection with the timing chain replacement, my warranty does not cover clutches and I haven't been able to return it to the garage I bought it from so have had no advice, I wondered if someone could help me please. As a final note the car has always had hesitation during hard acceleration I put this down to lack of use but it still seems to be there, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi there, I don't know if the problem I have is the same as in this post, but here goes. About 7 months ago I bought a 2013 XY 1.6 THP with 32000 which had a full service history. I use it to commute 26 miles a day, after about 3 months it was noisy on start up then after about a mile it went away, this was diagnosed as timing chain and this was replaced under warranty and the car appeared ok. Because I have been furloughed from work I have not used the car much but now when you sit at idle the car has a lumpy noise which you can hear inside and out of the car, when you depress the clutch it goes away and comes back when the pedal is released. I was wondering if this had any connection with the timing chain replacement, my warranty does not cover clutches and I haven't been able to return it to the garage I bought it from so have had no advice, I wondered if someone could help me please. As a final note the car has always had hesitation during hard acceleration I put this down to lack of use but it still seems to be there, thanks in advance.
Did you have any luck with this, my 2015 208 makes a similar noise and stops when the clutch is preseed. Otherwise its fine

1 - 17 of 17 Posts