Peugeot 208 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've noticed that my car makes a rubbing/clunking sound when on full left lock with the car moving very slowly (i.e turning into a parking bay). It only seems to do it when on left lock and it also can be felt through the steering wheel as the car moves. I can recreate the sound by turning the wheel slowly to the left with the car stationary. As the steering becomes close to reaching its full left lock I can hear the noise. Rotating the steering wheel towards full right lock makes no noise at all.

Anybody else experienced this problem?

Many thanks.

Phil

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
I have a similar problem with a knocking noise which I mostly notice when I go from lock to lock when reverse parking. Cars in the garage having a new turbo fitted and I asked them to look at this but I think they will say nothing's wrong like they usually do!

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the noise that you have there all the time? My car only seems to do this when its been on the road for a while with everything up to working temperature. Leaving the car at work all day and it will be fine untill I get home which is roughly a 30 minute drive.

Good luck with getting your car sorted though

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Funny you ask that because thinking about it I only notice it it when I arrive home from work which is a 20 mile drive. I will update you if they find anything. My cars been in the garage for over 3 weeks now but I am expecting a call in the next couple of days to say it's done.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That would be great if you could let me know what they find. I noticed this evening that its getting worse so I will have to get in touch with the dealer. I also had someone else listen to the noise and he reckons it could be the knuckle joints that are inside the rack.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thank you for your responses..Yes it has not got any worse. Also I have just got used to drive like this.

I checked with my dealer too, they said this is a normal thing because of the rubber materials at the steering section.

When the engine is warm the noise is slightly coming however if the weather is too cold i.e. under 0 degree than the noise is coming more. If this issue is related with that rubber part then it is normal.

If you have any solutions in the future please continue from this section.

Regards,

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same issues with my 208 GTI- a noise that comes from the steering especially when the wheel is turned slowly. Sounds like a rubber bush/bellows type problem. Took to dealer who replaced steering rack (under warranty-thank God!-£1200). Noise went away for a few weeks but now returned. Always sounds worse in very cold weather and almost disappears in warm weather. Does not affect the steering and can`t feel anything through the steering wheel- just a bit annoying really! Car coming up for service so will get it checked out again- will update post with any results.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Same for me..

However after lubricating of all the parts the sound is gone, only very minor noise is coming for just 2-3 minutes then nothing..

Try to lubricate all the parts and if nothing happens, then you can contact with your service to replace rubber suspension mounts ..

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My car has just started doing this again. It only does it when the weather is warm and after the car has been on the road for roughly over 40 minutes. Once its been parked up for am hour or so the sound will be gone. The longer the car gets driven the worse it gets to the point wher you can hear and feel it through the steering wheel even if I'm not turning the steering. As long as the car is moving. Especially at lower speeds

The suspension joints did get lubricated some time ago which cured the creeking noise that I could hear whilst turning the steering slowly left.

I have noticed that the car has slight brake judder so I am wondering if its the discs that are causing this weird problem.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Hi Phil did you ever get this fixed? My car had it a year ago in summer, it went away during the colder months but now that it's warm again the noise has come back, and only after a longish drive (more than half an hour or so). I've read that it could be anything from the steering track rods to the anti-roll bar links so I'm curious if yours was fixed and what the cure was.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Interesting answers from the group , I will be checking the 208 over , when I return home.
Will let all know what I found as well.
Many Thanks.
Geoff -Australia.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi Phil did you ever get this fixed? My car had it a year ago in summer, it went away during the colder months but now that it's warm again the noise has come back, and only after a longish drive (more than half an hour or so). I've read that it could be anything from the steering track rods to the anti-roll bar links so I'm curious if yours was fixed and what the cure was.
Mines doing the same and I've been told its track rods. Getting them changed next week

1 - 16 of 16 Posts