Peugeot 208 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all , just picked up my 208 1.2vti Active Spirit Grey .
Looks great , but sounds loud when accelerating which spoils the overall ride .
Is this a common fault with the 3 cylinder engines . Took it back to the dealer after a couple of days and they said it was fine .
Anyone had the same issues as my 7 year old reliable 307 1.6 SE had no engine noise issues .

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Hi, welcome to the forum. Nice choice of car, mine's a 1.2 Active in Alu Silver. The three cylinder engine can sound a bit raucous under acceleration especially when compared to a four or six cylinder engine. My previous car was a gas-guzzling Audi A4 and there was a noticeable difference when I first tried the 208. I soon got used to it though and I'm now quite happy with my 208.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers for the info , looks like the MPG is well down on what i expected .
Currently doing 41 MPG urban driving at the minute , but was expecting more like 55-60 MPG . Will have to see
how it performs after a month or so when the engine loosens up a bit.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Best MPG I've managed so far has been 56 MPG just driving round to run the car in. Average for the first full tank refill was 49.6 MPG. Hopefully this will improve after a few more miles.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow , thats miles up on what i am getting .
I have the 1.2 vti petrol engine , a week old and i am getting about 41mpg around town .
What engine do you have and is this motorway driving or combined .

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Welcome to the site. All 3 cylinder engines are the same, all due to trying to get them balanced (which is impossible) But i'm sure the ride and handlingcompensatefor the loudness on throttle

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
No motorway trips as yet but I have done some 50 limit A roads to try out the cruise control. Most trips were on 30 limit roads and were round trips of about 15 miles with the routine supermarket jaunts of about 5 miles. I do try to drive with fuel consumption in mind so I rarely get the revs above 1800 and do prefer to be in 5th gear at about 1300 if possible.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have not had a go with cruise control yet .
When looking at the dash while driving it suggests when to change gear ( the number of the gear appears e.g +3 ). Is there any way of turning this off .

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
According to my user's manual the gear shift indicator feature cannot be turned off. Luckily I tend to change gear just before the indicator is triggered. I think this is another issue that should be 'corrected' by Peugeot in due course.

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
I've got the upshift indicator on my 207, which I about to replace with a new 208.
If you drive to the light your fuel consumption will definately improve.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
exmgzr said:
I've got the upshift indicator on my 207, which I about to replace with a new 208.
If you drive to the light your fuel consumption will definately improve.

The shift light is definatlynot the most fuelefficientway of drive any car. I always change as soon as possible and never average below 60mpg regardless if its urban driving

1 - 13 of 13 Posts