Peugeot 208 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And so, after a month and 1500 miles of ownership, my 208 makes its maiden trip to the workshop, not for a reason I'd expect either.
Managed to pick up an innocuous stone chip on the motorway, so small I didn't even notice it. Only to find when I'd left it after several hours at worktwo cracks radiating from the epicentre - one going to the edge of the screen (4 cm) and the other in the opposite direction being 40cm. B******s!

Insurance job and excess of about £150, no two ways about it, after assessment by Pug here in Gothenburg, the windscreen has to be replaced.

Was I unlucky by the positioning of the stone chip, about halfway up the screen on my driver's (UK passenger's) side and 4cm from the edge, in the bit where it's bonded? Or is this a potential weakness of the 208 meaning it's going to eat windscreens if I'm unlucky again. Sincerely hope not, since I'm pleased as punch otherwise with the car.

Fuming... but at the same time seeing it as one of those things - file under 'it happens'.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Hi that is unlucky I too was on the motorway and a stone hit my windscreen but luckily it didnt break, just a small white mark. I suppose windscreens do withstand alot of abuse.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Mine had the same thing, a small stone chip that led to a crack spanning half the length of the windscreen. Luckily mine is covered under insurance and only had to pay £70 excess

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am getting a second replacement screen next week as a stone chip turned into a crack. I also had to have my windscreen replaced on my previous car due to a chip cracking almost straight away.I don't think it is a weakness in the windscreens, it is a weakness in local councils no longerrepairingthe roads. it's only going to get worse.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi. I too have a 208 and windscreens is what I do.
No it's not a weakness in the windscreen, if a stone hits the windscreen close to the edge of the glass it cracks usually instantly leaving a tiny chip the size of a pen nib or smaller, some people think it's a stress crack until the tiny mark is shown.

·
Administrator
487 Posts
Mine got hit and craked straight away aswell
£80 for a new one for me.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Is that £80 the excess for your insurance. Sounds very cheap for a new replacement . Samtech where do you live I'm a member of a group of independent windscreen companies and we have the UK pretty much covered, so just give me your postcode and I will get a price off your local lad.

·
Administrator
487 Posts
MrChip said:
Is that £80 the excess for your insurance. Sounds very cheap for a new replacement . Samtech where do you live I'm a member of a group of independent windscreen companies and we have the UK pretty much covered, so just give me your postcode and I will get a price off your local lad.
Yep, wouldn't like to pay full wack like

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey guys my 208 windscreen needs replacing and i just found out my insurance dont cover it it has no rain or light sensors so any idea what kind of price im looking at ??

1 - 16 of 16 Posts