Peugeot 208 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I'm really interested in buying 5 door Allure version with 1.6 VTi engine.
In Poland Allure is a top configuration, we don't have feline, or XY...

I couldn't even testdrive it, cause in two dealerships I've been, there wasn't one. There were only 1.2 Vti, which are definitely too slow for me.

I'm writing here, because i'm torn between automatic gearbox and a manual.
I mainly use my car in the city, 3-4 times a year (tops) I may go for a longer trip (vacations for instance). That doesn't change the fact that I like to drive dynamically.

Currently one of the cars in family is Citroen C5 2.0 HDi with an automatic 6speed, single clutch gearbox, and it's good enought for me, but in Peugeot there are only 4speeds, and that's what I'm afraid of.

Please guys share your opinion about both solutions, manual and automatic in combination with this particular engine!

I hope my English is understandable, sorry for my possible mistakes.

Regards,
Bartek

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
i see no errors in English, well done!
i'd go for it definitely, i haven't drove an automatic at all so i'd say manual, although the gearbox is a bit clunky i wouldn't let that influence the decision too much. the 208 is a delight to drive, i have a 1.4 which is nippy, and i've always said if i had the 1.6 it'd be fantastic...

hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
506 Posts
welcome to the forum

if you like to drive the manual can be the only option !!!!!

i have had 2 auto's in my past , both were very good in town traffic but I missed the physical connection when out having fun !!
Unfortunately i have no experience of the Peugeot auto ... but in my opinion manual is the only way to go .

good luck in your car hunt ....

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
I'm from Brazil and sorry for my English as well.

Here in Brazil we don't have Xy nor Gti nor the feline with thp engine. So my 208 here is the top version, 1.6 16v vti + auto gearbox

I know in Europe, in some countries, they don't offer auto version but only automatized clutch system which behaves similar to the automatic gearbox. Here in Brazil we only have 5gear manual or the 4speed auto which uses the At8 gearbox, basically same as the old AL4 but with newer software and solenoids. I had previously a 207 with the AL4 gearbox and it was terrible as the gearbox was too slow and most of times while driving in hill areas the gearbox couldn't decide to keep either 2nd or 3rd gear and when changed the gear it had very strong shake /impact coming from the gearbox /engine. I gave up about buying another peugeot because of that gearbox but after a test drive with 208 automatic I was convinced the newer AT8 is much better and I step back about my decision to give up Peugeot. So as I liked the 208 a lot and the newer gearbox was not a problem for me anymore, I bought it.

Fuel consumption was always terrible here in Brazil as the engine is flex fuel ( ethanol or gasoline) and because of that flex fuel setup for the ecu the car is not economic. Same peugeot model here with gasoline only when compared to the flex fuel may be 40-60% more economic. Not sure about automatic gearbox with the fuel setup for Europe or your country

1 - 4 of 4 Posts