Peugeot 208 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,

I'm quite interested in purchasing a 208 GTI...

However I'm wondering what the real sort of MPG is on one of these cars? I'm doing around 12,000 miles a year. Mainly on the motorway in the middle of the night, so very rarely am I in traffic. A diesel would obviously be my best choice... however I want a fun car... and from looking at this car it seems like I could have the best of both worlds...

The new GTis come with stop./start technology, and it seems to have pushed the MPG up by quite a bit. Quoted average on the website is around 50 mpg combined...

Is this realistic? I think it sounds a bit too optimistic... I would be able to buy this car if it was around 40. I appreciate driving it harsh will reduce it to 30s or even lower perhaps?

Also, is it comfortable on a long distance drive? My commute is around 3 hours, twice a week. Lincoiln > London and back.. twice a week.

Also, would you buy your car again? Are you happy wirth it? What are its flaws? And positives?
I've had cars in the past that I loved... but wouldnt buy again just due to their flaws, but I put up with them.

Do you have a prestige version? I quite like the sound of having a panoramic sunroof, been a very very long time since I had a car with a sunroof!

Thanks very much for your time in replying, really appreciate it!

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
I have the bog-standard 208GTI. It is fine for longer journeys, I did Plymouth to Bridgend (approx 3 hours of constant 70mph... or higher...) and i was perfectly comfortable all the time, the standard seats are great! It's not loud or annoying at that speed, wind noise is fine, fuel economy was about 40 mpg without cruise control and like I said, I wasn't always doing 70. I have a 2013 car which means Euro 5 engine so no stop/start and I could see higher than this if I wanted, the Euro 6 engines will do better. Normal mixed town/dual carriageway will see mid 30s mpg out of mine no problem.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
I'm averaging 45.5mpg long term in mine.

Long trips are no issue, I do Edinburgh-Glasgow and back without issue and have done an Edinburgh-Manchester and back too.

Actually a really good car on a nice motorway run, decent on fuel, comfy seats, plenty toys and plenty of poke!

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Overall, I average about 37mpg, and I tend to hit it hard - IMO that's not too bad.

I get through tyres though, the front pair are shot at 12k and I'm having to get new boots on there this week.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Same here with 37mpg. Driven 37000miles, it just keep going even when I'm using this as a track/daily driver, in all weather conditions(in sweden) but Cheapest car I've owned in repairs and services. But I'm doing everything by myself or handing it over to a friend who is an mechanic, specially for upgrading parts.

Only thing I dont like is all the plastic noise you get in a "cheap" cars, particularly French made cars

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've only had mine a couple of days but am really happy with it. I changed from a Peugeot RCZ which was a great car but the 208 is more fun to drive, if a bit less refined.

On the motorway I have been getting around 49mpg which I was really impressed by, and overall with the occasional lead foot and mostly town driving I'm getting around 36mpg, which I think is pretty good for a hot hatch!

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Good looking car and good when its running. if i where you take out extended warranty if your not a mechanic haha. Car has 50k on it now and its been nothing but trouble here is the list of things i jave done
1.Dual mass failure new clutch and flywheel solid state
2. New coil packs
3.New water pump had bad coolant leak
4. two clutch master cylinders both one failed 1000miles after other.
5.Electric water pump
6.Brake switch throwing esp warning
7. A brand new high pressure fuel pump at a £1000 as was throwing a low pressure fuel fault and running naff. was down 1500psi. These pumps are know tp be an issue.

·
Banned
2,157 Posts
I would still say this normal stuff for a car. Im not saying youre wrong but people should check out other cars and see we are all in the same boat

Check out fiesta st forum and you will see turbo, clutch and gearbox failures have been common. All cars are the same , you either get a good one or bad. Getting 50-80K out of a clutch is good these days - all down to DMF and everyone should replace both plus concentric slave, Its 9 hours labour+parts+fluid and gearbox oil.

Plugs - Even NGK website shows they are for 12'000 miles, about halfway through that they will begin to fail and draw the load on the coils which knackers both. Uprate the coils and they(coils) last 4 times longer.

Fuel pump- you got unlucky, we have equiv of 120K out of ours and no issue. We run at max which is under 8mpg with the tune.

They dont make them like they use to. Only bullet proof cars are still Honda

Edited by: Comkotes

·
Registered
12 Posts
My long-term average mpg is 37.1. It'll do 45 on a gentle cruise at 50-60mph but when spanking around a B road at 4000+ revs you can expect more like 25-30.

Long distance is fine. It's well damped compared to the competition (e.g. Fiesta ST) and the seats are excellent. Cruise control and speed limiter make motorways an easy drive. I've driven Leeds-Hull for work in my GTI and had no issues whatsoever.

I would buy mine again any day of the week. Fantastic machine, always puts a smile on my face no matter what I'm doing. The car is a riot to drive round a B road, you can dislodge the back for some nice oversteer or sliding if that's your thing or it'll grip like a vice to the road if you prefer that. The tech is pretty good too, though the touch screen is a tad on the slow side. Biggest issues for me are the engine is a bit quiet and just sounds breathy rather than exciting (though the refinement is a plus point long distance) and the gears are too close together which helps 0-60 times and increases B road fun but costs needless extra fuel on long journeys. Neither of these issues are deal breakers for me as I feel it's part of the hot hatch compromise.

I didn't bother with the prestige version. Mine is an entirely standard spec 15-plate (so no start stop).

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
36 Posts
My driving is a mix of motorway and flooring it and I'm averaging 37mpg. It's not that great on the motorway in my opinion, I generally get about 45mpg taking it steady, which I suppose isn't really bad but no where near claimed from Peugeot.

In terms of plastic rattles as mentioned I have none, ive driven quite a few Peugeots in the past which have had cheap flimsy interiors, and this is a huge improvement in quality over previous models.

Day to day in the GTI is easy going , nice and comfy to drive and the engine has a lot of torque and will pick up nicely without being screwed.

I have a prestige model and glad I got it too, as the heated seats are great as is the sat nav

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
I have never got anywhere near 50 in my life with the GTi, closest ive got is 35mpg and that was with a lot of motorway driving etc. Realistically i get around 27mpg.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
With a cold engine and a 3 mile commute, I get 28mpg, but my long term average is around 37-38. At a steady 60mph you can get nearly 50mpg.

I would disagree about the "terrible suspension". It's wonderfully dampened for a hot hatch, striking a good balance between ride comfort and handling.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.