Peugeot 208 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have launched this as a NEW topic because the problem is quite serious and I don't want it submerged beneath other Gearbox problems.

My 208 1.6 eHDI 5-door Allure will suddenly jump out of first gear. The gearlever springs across the box into the 3/4 plane almost hitting my leg as it does so. There are graunching sounds when it does it.

The conditions for this happening are:

(1) Car is being driven in 1st gear.
(2) Speed less than 10mph
(3) light throttle
(4) usually going down a steepish incline.

I described the fault to the dealer and they checked it out at the 1000 mile service, but of course it would not do it for them.

Annoyingly the fault DID occur within about a mile of their premises when I was on my way, going down an incline in heavy rush hour traffic and queuing to traffic lights, where vehicles were moving at walking pace. When I later took their mechanic on a test drive to the same location (without rush hour traffic) of course it did not do it to order.

Now with the speedo on 1400 miles the fault seems to happen more often, so I have taken the car back to the dealer and left it there for 3 days asking them to take it home and drive it.

On the way in to them the car faulted TWICE on the short descent from my car park to the main road (about 200 metres long and steepish at the top then flattening out), speed shown as 9mph. Then about 2 miles from the dealer I had to negotiate 2 sets of traffic lights, both on flat level road. Stop at the first set, then on green engage 1st and move forward to the second set of lights which are still on red. The second lights are about 150metres from the first set. Car jumps out of first gear again.

Nearer to the dealer I tried to replicate the fault on the same piece of road where it had faulted in rush hour traffic previously, but it would not do it to order.

This problem only seems to occur at low speed, in conditions where the terrain, visibility or traffic demand caution.

If I take away fast, I can max the revs in all the gears without problem, I just can't go slow in first gear. Otherwise the gearbox is good to use, and it copes easily when I change straight from 3rd into 5th or from 5th back into 3rd (a U-shaped change); no evidence of a clunky change here.

I might add that the 208 1.6 eHDI is the 4th Peugeot I have owned, all at the same location, and all mechanically almost identical (206 1.4 HDI, 207 1.6 HDI, 207 SW HDI 1.6). I think I know how to change gear and how to drive a Peugeot.

QUESTIONS:
How can I get my dealer to recognise the fault if it wont do it for them ?
Is there something the dealer can check even if they can't experience the fault ?
What can I do to get it fixed if the dealer insists that all is well ?

Has this happened to anyone else, either with a 208 or any other car?

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Hi, my mom had the same issue with her 11 plate fiesta. Turned out it was a little piece in the gearbox like a little arm about 2" long that had snapped. She had they same issue with ford, I.e it wasn't doing it for them etc.... In the end she said look it is doing it so I suggest you get it sorted and I don't want my car back until you have fixed it. And they did. Be firm and remind yourself of the cost of this car, it's the second most expensive purchase you'll make so stand your ground and demand its sorted. Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.

Yes I am going to stand my ground. This is the third car I have purchased from this dealer, and they already fouled up the order so I had to wait 5 months for the car, then it had the wrong wheels on .....

They have some ground to make up in terms of 'customer satisfaction'.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I remarked here some weeks ago about how my new (April 2013) Peugeot 208 Allure 1.6 HDI 90 kept jumping out of first gear, and I returned it to the dealer twice who had little interest in the problem.<br style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: 'lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13.200000762939453px; line-height: 20.399999618530273px;"><br style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: 'lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13.200000762939453px; line-height: 20.399999618530273px;">Well this week, after making complaints at the highest level my dealer arranged another visit (but I had to take a day off work), and I went to show them the fault. But this time I went armed with 3 videos taken by my Canon DSLR mounted on a tripod between the front seats.

Went off on a test drive, and this time descending a steep hill in first gear at about 12 miles an hour (circa 2000 revs) my 208 does what it always does with me. Lever jumps out accompanied by grinding noises. Young mechanic was able to witness it and see that my foot was not near the clutch or anything.

In fact, he remarked, "okay I don't need to see any more", but when I slotted the lever back in, it came out twice more.

After I left the premises I think every man and boy at the dealership took it out, and everybody found the fault - which they couldn't find previously. At the end of the day they said they could reproduce the fault with car stationary by revving up to 4,000 revs and then backing the revs off.

They suspect, as I had already began to, that the engine is MOVING somehow, and that the fault is NOT gearbox at all.

Anyway, back to the sick pig. After 48 hours I don't know what is happening, but I pointed out if the car was manufactured FAULTY (it was !!!), then I don't want it back. Plus I want compensation for all the time off work trying to get attention, and the less than satisfactory driving experience. It was quite worrying at times when it jumped out of hear on steep Cornish lanes and started heading downhill in neutral.

What would YOU do ?
Anyone know what the fault is ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi All - My 208 1.6VTi Allure jumped out of 1st this morning when I was going slowly uphill in a traffic jam. Most alarming. I shall take the car back to the dealer if it happens again. Otherwise, very happy with
the car.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In the end my dealer had to replace all the components on both first and second gear, and had the car for almost 3 weeks, loaning me a 208 1.2 VTI - a rather lifeless little car.

Peugeot UK could not see why I was making a fuss, and did not feel the need to do anything apart from fixing the car. Even the dealer wanted me to pay insurance for the loan car - but I refused.

Brand Loyalty? Ha Ha, My 5th 'Peugeot' is quite likely to be a Fabia.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts