Peugeot 208 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a New 208 Allure yesterday and I've been trying to get the iPhone linked (mirror function) ever since!!!

Bluetooth is fine but can't get CarPlay to detect and MirrorLink isn't working either! Downloaded AppInCar and it does absolutely nothing whatsoever.

iPhone 5c on newest update and iPhone 5 on iOS 7 both tried!

Has anyone actually got this working? Sounds great and it was a factor in choosing the car over another manufacturer.

Manual says that Apple are developing an app called CarPlay and won't be able to link the iPhone until then but CarPlay has been around for ages and this seems to be a lie.

The firmware version is 6. Etc....

It's the new touch screen without sat nav

Please help a newbie!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ItS plugged in with AppInCar installed on iPhone. Tried 3 cables, all of which work for data, and it simply doesn't work!

Somebody out there must have got it working or is it as useless as I am starting to suspect?

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
From what I can work out from the research I've done on the internet, Mirrorlink doesn't work with Apple products, it is designed for other smart phones makes (most probably just Andoird but don't take my word on that).

Apple have their own system called Apple Car Play, this should, if you have iOS 8.3 or above, work both via the usb lead and Bluetooth. I believe you need at least version iOS 8 for it to work via usb. Apple car play was launched late summer 2014, so has been around for about a year.

It basically allows about 8 apps to be displayed on the 208's touchscreen, they are messages, maps, music, podcasts and I believe Spotify is also compatible. There may be a couple more apps compatible with Car Play as well but I'm not 100% sure without looking it up.

Now comes the BAD NEWS

According to Peugeot, the ICE in their new 208 is NOT compatible with Apple car play. They have used their own propriety Peugeot Mirrorlink system and this is only compatible with a small amount of phones, which bizarrely include the iPhone 4 and 4s but not the 5 & above.

You have to download and install a third party app called AppinCar, which from reviews on the Apple app store only has a one star rating!

You can find more information here :-
http://www.peugeot.co.uk/peugeot-mirror-screen/

Why Peugeot didn't go for a proper Apple Car Play compatible head unit I will never know.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
I'd heard the update for carplay was coming later this year for the 208 as a software update to these units? I wish Peugeot would be more consistent

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The vehicle manual States CarPlay is being by developed by Apple for iPhone but yes, it's already done so what are they on about!!! (Don't know when the manual was printed but it's for the new model so sounds like a cop out to me)

Appincar does NOTHING apart from take up space on your phone!

I've checked the firmware version on the touchscreen (hold down SRC button) and its SMEG 6.(etc) so should be the most up to date (???)

I've read just about everything that's on the internet about it from mirror link, Apple CarPlay and Peugeot and nothing adds up!

Has anyone out there got it working or is it as useless as it appears!

Apparently when ios9 comes out in October (ish) it will let CarPlay go wireless (lightning cable needed at the moment) but will it work then and what about now???

Had the car 48 hours and wondering how they'd react to it being returned as "not as advertised"

Tweeted Peugeot and got told;

"All manufacturers (http://t.co/hQPvT5EezP) are in the same position Dave, you'd have to speak to MirrorLink ^Martin"

Really??? Thought I'd paid Peugeot for the car and all of its equipment!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I can get mirrorlink working on Samsung S4 but cant get MirrorScreen working. I wouldnt worry about Mirrorlink at the moment as it is crap anyway as there are hardly any apps for it.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
sounds like Peugeot dropped a bollock here. They aren't even supporting the old apps for the car. its piss poor considering how easily the head units can be updated

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Dgrievo said:
Apparently when ios9 comes out in October (ish) it will let CarPlay go wireless (lightning cable needed at the moment) but will it work then and what about now???
Apple Car Play is already wireless with iOS 8.3 & above, no lightning cable required.

Gremlin12 said:
sounds like Peugeot dropped a bollock here. They aren't even supporting
the old apps for the car. its piss poor considering how easily the head
units can be updated

It certainly does seem Peugeot and made a right cock up with this, especially considering this 'new' version of Peugeot ICE software has been around for many months in the 107, surely they could and should have ironed out the bugs before now?

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Dgrievo said:
Picked up a New 208 Allure yesterday and I've been trying to get the iPhone linked (mirror function) ever since!!!

Bluetooth is fine but can't get CarPlay to detect and MirrorLink isn't working either! Downloaded AppInCar and it does absolutely nothing whatsoever.

iPhone 5c on newest update and iPhone 5 on iOS 7 both tried!

Has anyone actually got this working? Sounds great and it was a factor in choosing the car over another manufacturer.

Manual says that Apple are developing an app called CarPlay and won't be able to link the iPhone until then but CarPlay has been around for ages and this seems to be a lie.

The firmware version is 6. Etc....

It's the new touch screen without sat nav

Please help a newbie!!!

According to the Peugeot website, you need a special cable for Iphones.
For iPhone 4/4S, the connection uses a specific cable (USB + Jack) that you will need to purchase through your local Peugeot dealer.<br style="color: rgb97, 97, 110; font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 20px;">
http://www.peugeot.co.uk/peugeot-mirror-screen/

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
red1864 said:
I can get mirrorlink working on Samsung S4 but cant get MirrorScreen working. I wouldnt worry about Mirrorlink at the moment as it is crap anyway as there are hardly any apps for it.

It is all very confusing when Peugeot call it "Mirror Screen", when in fact they really mean "Mirror Link".

·
Registered
14 Posts
afaik - sadly MirrorLink will not be available in the 208 until the new 2015 version (facelift thingme) coming end of summer..

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
dkkev said:
afaik - sadly MirrorLink will not be available in the 208 until the new 2015 version (facelift thingme) coming end of summer..

That's what I've got. I'm in the Uk and had the updated/facelift version since the beginning of July. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
lucky sobs.. I got my 208 allure in end of may. no facelift.wanna trade? :D j/k

I really want mirror link aswell.. even willing to buy a whatever-phone and subscription to install permanently in the car. heh

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
dkkev said:
lucky sobs.. I got my 208 allure in end of may. no facelift.wanna trade? :D j/k

I really want mirror link aswell.. even willing to buy a whatever-phone and subscription to install permanently in the car. heh
As far as Mirror Link is concerned, you aren't missing out on anything at the moment.As for swapping. Nah ! ;-)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Tried a tweet to peugeot:
@PeugeotUK: @dgrievo All manufacturers (http://t.co/hQPvT5EezP) are in the same position Dave, you'd have to speak to MirrorLink ^Martin

Emailed MirrorLink:
Thank you for your email. For the current MirrorLink® Certified Product Listing please visit https://cert.mirrorlink.com/ProductListing/. Please note that iPhones are not compatible with MirrorLink® and Apple is not a member of the Car Connectivity Consortium; CCC Administration is not privy to individual company implementation plans.

Thanks for the advice Peugeot! Don't know their arse from their elbow evidently!

Tried upgrading to ios9 beta (which works great for me by the way) and now I've got the wireless CarPlay option under the general settings. Got all excited thinking I'd solved it, however it doesn't detect the car!

I expect that the touchscreen needs a firmware update but if that's the case Peugeot should be telling us this and indicating a timescale. If they said they were working on it and it'd be out within "x weeks" I could happily carry on with my life until then but I honestly don't think they have a clue what's going on!!!

Who makes the head unit? Mines the "new 208" model without sat nav.

Do you think Chris Evans fancies a crack at this for the new Top Gear? I expect the other presenters could be conceived, born and passed their driving tests by the time this system works!

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
The head unit is a SMEG model in the current cars, so I'd imagine its still the SMEG with some additions on it for the wireless connection. I'd read somewhere that carplay was coming as an update later in the year for the 2015 models. To be honest Peugeot are crap with communication and making sure the tech is updated considering this is most likely just a software issue for older cars.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Can someone tell me if "mirrorscreen" just appears as an option on the display?

We have picked up a 2015 Allure, The body is pre-facelift, however it has the 110bhp 1.2 turbo engine in it.. So not sure if our SMEG system is the old version or the new version...

1 - 20 of 91 Posts