Peugeot 208 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had this go in their GTi?Car half way being repaired for faulty engine temperature sensor. Waiting for other part but okay to drive say Peugeot (last Friday). On Monday the orange engine light came on again saying repair needed. AA man on the phone said okay to drive as they would be 3 hours in coming out to me as thought linked to the temperature sensor.

Car in today to finish temperature sensor repair and found Monday's fault is that the high pressure fuel pump has gone. Bloody car, we are not impressed at all. Trying to get the garage to upgrade our satnav free of charge with postcodes after all these issues, we feel it's the minimum that they can do. Will be interesting to see if they do it

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
I think it really depends on your luck (or your car). We have 4 208 GTi in our local Peugeot Club, all of them including mine are manufactured on 2013. 1 of us got the same fuel pump problem TWICE, first time it happened the car was only 6 months on the road. But the rest of us never had this problem, nor we have seen any related fault codes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi from Melbourne, Australia.
I've got a 2014 208 GTi and I've just had the second high pressure fuel pump go! I got 30,000 klms with the first one and now at 62,500.

Are Peugeot fixing this problem? I can't see myself replacing fuel pumps every 30,000 klms

Regards
John

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same issue (or at least Peugeot say it is) on my 18k miles 2013 GTi. Started off when pulling out of a parking space in Tesco, when car wouldn't rev and kangarooed like I was in 5th not 1st & then stalled and wouldn't start. Went in & had engine temperature sensor replaced and then a couple of weeks later (when in a service station on the M4) it did it again, & wouldn't start for a good 30 minutes. Really annoying and it meant driving for a couple of hours meant having to wait for 30 minutes each time.

Went into Peugeot dealer & they replaced the high pressure fuel pump, and occasionally it still has issues. It can go a couple of days with no issues, or it can start, and then stutter when you are at low revs for the first few minutes of a journey.

I am tempted to take it back to Peugeot again & see what they say this time.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
this may seem a strange question to ask but how many people\gti owners have suffered from this?
I had a 207 GT 150THPwhich started to play up 5 days before the 3 year warranty expired in 2012, went into local franchised Peugeot dealer whoswopped plugs around and fitted a new temp sensor has they could not get the car to repeat the loss of power. Shame whenever it came back it would fail again in 10 minutes! Final straw was when it cut out one morning outside of its warranty and the car went into limp mode just has I hit 70 joining the motorway with a 40T behind me!!

Booked car into a Peugeot owned dealer who has supplied all my pugs and they informed me within 30minutes of looking at the car they thought it was the high pressure pump but wanted my authorisation has it was going to cost me £1200 - would then need to argue the case with Peugeot!

It was the fuel pump and thanks to staff discount the bill came to less than a £1000 but despite mechanics confirming it was the same fault has the franchised dealer had not cleared the fault codes and the "diagnostics computer" giving the fix to the symptoms of swoppingcylinders and HPFP as two potential fixesPeugeot did not as franchised dealer would not confirm this was the case.

Asking now has you will see that I've got a new 208THP which replaced the feline which was just a 1.6 following the 207 incident.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My 63 plate GTi is going in for a new high pressure fuel pump this week, had a few problems with stuttering recently and the occasional engine management light but the garage couldn't get to the bottom of it.It had its 60k mile service a few weeks ago and they discovered a crack where the breather pipe joins the plastic air intake, on picking the car up from getting this fixed they informed me that the engine light was due to low fuel pressure, they ordered the new pump and its being fitted under extended warranty.

·
Registered
8 Posts
craigw1975 said:
My 63 plate GTi is going in for a new high pressure fuel pump this week, had a few problems with stuttering recently and the occasional engine management light but the garage couldn't get to the bottom of it.It had its 60k mile service a few weeks ago and they discovered a crack where the breather pipe joins the plastic air intake, on picking the car up from getting this fixed they informed me that the engine light was due to low fuel pressure, they ordered the new pump and its being fitted under extended warranty.

Got the car back after a day in the garage, it's like a new car now!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys, first time on this website!
I've had my 63 plate GTi for 11 months now and have had issues with the fuel pump the whole time I've had it. I'm so fed up that I'm close to getting rid of the car.
Does anyone have a solution to the problem? Last time Peugeot diagnosed it they couldn't find anything wrong with the car and told me to "keep an eye on it", but has happened again. I'm on breakdown number 5 now I believe.

Ive replaced the fuel pump numerous times so assume it is something else. The temperature sensor has been mentioned, is this what could be causing the issues?

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
You need a cheap OBD Bluetooh/WiFi dongle to monitor the real temperature in order to determine that. The normal operating temperature will be around 105C and 85C-90C in a hot day (i.e. > 31C).

Sammoore92 said:
I've had my 63 plate GTi for 11 months now and have had issues with the fuel pump the whole time I've had it. I'm so fed up that I'm close to getting rid of the car.
Does anyone have a solution to the problem? Last time Peugeot diagnosed it they couldn't find anything wrong with the car and told me to "keep an eye on it", but has happened again. I'm on breakdown number 5 now I believe.

Ive replaced the fuel pump numerous times so assume it is something else. The temperature sensor has been mentioned, is this what could be causing the issues?

Thanks in advance!

·
Banned
2,157 Posts
Sammoore92 said:

Thanks in advance!
Hi,
If its stuttering at wot at +4K rpm then its coils and plugs. The boost blows the plug out, the coils works harder then fails. The plugs are only rated for 12k miles, when the plug begins to fail it knackers coils, this is due to high egt from the tiny intercooler. Fit bosch coils which are on our site since they are 4 times better, when fitting new coils fit new plugs. Even a stage 1 can get almost 8-10k miles on stock plugs if bosch coils are fitted+fmic, other route is to fit a larger downpipe as this lowers egt.

I should mention when plugs/coils failing you get no misfire code. It is only when one or more is completely dead will you get CEL.

On a hot day or less humid day egt is always higher.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi all,I think my pump may be on its way. About a month ago I had my first cel, this came on after warming the car up for a couple of minutes. Car drove fine and after a stint on the freeway the light went away and didn't return for about a week or so.
When the light returned it hung around for a while longer and finally went away, only to return and now it consistently stays on unless I erase it. Sometimes even if I erase it and start the car (when cold) the light returns, so there is definitely a problem. The error code is P00807.
Now when I start the car when cold it will fire up and after a couple of seconds stall, like its run out of fuel. It always starts second time. I can drive the car but it seems to be in some detuned state, boost wont come on and its a little jumpy at low rpm.
When the car warms up to operating temp, I turn it off, fire it up again and it performs like normal, no issues whatsoever, although the cel is still present.
So it seems that my fuel pump is problematic when cold only. I'm thinking it may be best to get it checked out properly and fit a new one, last thing I want is to get stranded and pay for a tow truck. Its only done 36k on the odo, thats quite disappointing in this day and age. Would a new pump from Peugeot have a warranty on the item itself? I know in Australia we are covered by Australian Consumer Law, so even if they say the new pump doesn't have a warranty the ACL may well override that. I might buzz ACL and see what they say.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
HPFP is a big problem with these cars. I've posted in another thread but basically - my 2013 gti was running terrible with same error code. It's a very common problem and it you take it to a Peugeot dealer and have done less than 60k miles they will pay for the parts which are about £700.

·
Super Moderator
267 Posts
I'm getting this code now. Had it on and off for like a month but Car is terrible now. Peugeot told me they have not heard of this like extended warranty on the HPFP and that the part is £650 + fitting.

I have found the part online for £360 so looks like I'm paying that :(

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Ricey said:
I'm getting this code now. Had it on and off for like a month but Car is terrible now. Peugeot told me they have not heard of this like extended warranty on the HPFP and that the part is £650 + fitting.

I have found the part online for £360 so looks like I'm paying that :(
They are lying or haven't checked properly. My total bill was about £1,050 but I only paid £300ish. I'll try and find my invoice to see if it shows it. DO NOT pay the full bill. The HPFP on these and coopers are known to break prematurely, hence why Peugeot pay a contribution to the repair. The only conditions are that the car has to have done less than 60,000 miles and or be less than 6 years old.

Really hope your local Peugeot dont try to scam you on this. If it helps I had mine fixed at Peugeot in Harlow, Essex.

·
Registered
17 Posts
went in this morning and the fine folk at Peugeot are replacing the HPFP free of charge, just have to pay the labour costs. Big sigh of relief

·
Registered
17 Posts
everything went well, I picked dup my car today and it drives so much better. All it cost was $308 in labor. I spoke with the guy and he said they have been replacing HPFP's under warranty for any car that registers the fault code. I forgot to ask if there was a limit to how many K's the car has travelled but I assume it will be in line with Peugeot Europe.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts