Peugeot 208 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know some of you may be thinking about doing this mod and wondering how to do it? Is it easy? Is it legal? What are the alternatives?

Well, I am here to help answer some of these questions.

I have had aftermarket HID in my cars for the last 8 years and so long as your sensible about it there won't be any problems.

Are they legal? Anything over 55 watts light output will fail an MOT if they check the bulbs and the police may not like it either.

Any HID/XENON kit fitted to any vehicle that is not a factory option that DOES NOT come with auto levelling aim adjustment AND headlight lens washing jets, will fail an MOT and the police may not like it either.

HID kits are heap enough on eBay, so there is no excuse fro people saying "I can't afford it", but if you really can't but still want white light instead of the dirty yellow, the alternative is bulbs.....but just not any old bulbs.

You may have heard of night breakers and the such that boast brighter whiter light and longer viewing distances, but for me I dislike them as they still produce yellow light.

I buy every time "Ring Sportz Blue" as the glass is blue coloured which filters out the yellow light and is rated at 100 watt light output.

Yes I know that some of you will say "but there not legal" or that "the manual says not to exceed 55 watts". I have never had a problem and I understand that the cars are built to take this strain, but if there were a problem I sure the fuse would go first. However I take no responsibility for any damage to anything or anyone by taking my advice.

But if you want to take the plunge and get the best, then first things first, let's go though some simple rules to follow:

1/ DO NOT FIT HID BULBS TO STANDARD REFLECTOR HEADLAMPS! They case light scatter which is very dangerous to other drivers. You must have projector style lights.

2/ ALWAYS MAKE SURE YOUR HEADLIGHTS ARE PROPERLY ALIGNED BEFORE YOU START!

Ok, so now that's said let's look at options.

If you are clear about the first two rules the we can look at what you need.

You will need PROJECTOR LENSES like these below. That's the lens on the LEFT, the middle lens is a reflector ( and to be complete, the one on the right is the indicator)

Once you ensure you have these lenses, you need to choose the correct bulb - please refer to you user manual, however commonly they tend to be H7 fitment.

Next, choose the colour of the light that you want to be. Sounds silly but look below and you will send what I mean...

Personally I would not go any higher than 8000K as this might attract unwanted police attention. I love the higher colours however it also limits the visibility you get at night.

I have always opted for 6000K because the light output is by far the best and clearest.

When choosing your HID kit try to purchase a kit that comes with a relay kit. This way there are no problems with CANBUS errors or flickering.

Installing the kit is straight forward, just follow the instructions that come with it.

I can give you pointers if you wish to tackle it.

The finished article should look like this...

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Ive had HIDS on my other cars but tried to avoid it this time due to legality. However I have had enough of trying to make do with changing bulbs. I probably am on my own on this one, but I hate the look of the front of my car. It sticks out like a sore thumb. Loverly white LED running lights and yellow head lights. Ive recently replaced the bulbs with Phillips Extreme vision and found that the light out put was better but still yellow. I currently have Phillips Diamond vision 5000K. They are almost perfect in looks but the performance is a step back. Obvious really. If you coat the bulb to shield the true colour, you will shield some of the output.
I am now waiting for HIDS4U to get the new 208 HIDS in. Then I will have some.
There are many cheaper ones out there but you could end up with a cheap output or worse still, a cheap fire. Sorry but I really don't trust things that are to cheap. I mean £30 for a HIDS set. Something is really not right there.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Funny how this topic has popped up after installing HID's on my car this last week. Just finished the wiring and a good tidy up today. I did retrofit a HIDS4U kit on my previous car and they were on it whilst i owned the car for 4 years. I never had problems come MOT time at the dealers due to the lights. The only problem I noticed is that the HIDS4U kit did interfere with the radio if reception was weak. Unfortunately I never found a solution to this problem except of course listen to CD's/Ipod

However on my 208 I decided that if I was going to install HID's then I would do a proper job. So I bought Hella Gen 3 ballasts with a built in ignitor, Osram D2s Xenarc bulbs, a H7 to D2s adapter and a pair of capacitive can bus error filters. So far I'm impressed with the light output. Much better than the Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited halogen bulbs.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Nice one phil208. That sounds an expensive way of doing things. But one thing for sure. The gear sounds quality.
As your aware, providing your lights are facing where they should, all is fine come mot time.
The ones that I am waiting for are campus error free, but you never know.
First time I've heard of interference on radio also. Fingers crossed.
What Kelvin did you settle on. I personally like the look of 6000k

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Unfortunately the setup is quite pricey. One ballast cost £90 from ebay. The colour temperature I settled for is 4300K which is supposedly best for light output. I did use 5000K in my previous car which looked very nice but a little less light output compared to 4300K

As far as radio interference goes I wasn't sure if the ballasts were chucking out RFI noise or sending interference back through the cars wiring loom. So I tried a little experiment by setting up one of the ballasts on a table next to a radio. After finding a strong reception on the radio I connected up the ballast to a bulb and powered up. Sure enough the radio station disappeared and all I could hear from the radio was the PWM from the ballast. I did try grounding the case of the ballast and wrapping it in foil and also tried different light bulbs. I tried this with both ballasts but ended with the same result. I tried the same experiment with the Hella ballasts and problem solved. They did nothing with the radio.

Fingers crossed though you wont have the same problem as I did. Also your radio reception is probably stronger compared to what I have around here so that should be a big help for you. If you use DAB radio then you shouldn't have any problems at all.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
I'm surprised by this. I thought that the ballast was there to create the initial high voltage to ignite the xenon gas, then the power is reduced to a lower than normal level.
Hope this is not the case when mine is fitted.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Yes you are correct. The ballast is there to send a high voltage pulse (23Kv) to ignite the bulb an then stabilise the voltage to around 85v to maintain the arc inside the bulb. The problem is that the ballasts convert 12vdc to high voltage AC voltage and that AC noise is picked up by the radio. Not sure what the frequency is but im sure I read somwhere that the output pulses are square waves at 400Mhz. But that said the radio in my 208 is much better at picking up stations than my previous car which was always a bit on the weak side. It is worth mentioning though that the ballast I had were bought in 2010 and chances are they will have improved up on the design. HIDS4U customer service though is preety good. I did have a ballst fail on me soon after purchasing the kit but with in a few days It was all sorted and I had a new ballast. So if you have problems they will most likely be able to help you sort it.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Cool. When I looked on their web site, they state that
the 208 kit is due in May. Not sure what the
problem us. Surely any canbus h7 will do?

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
I've just looked on their website and I belive that the H7R kit that is not available untill the 5th of May. Reading your description of your type of headlamps I think i'm right in saying that you need the H7 kit to fit your projectors. This is the kit you will need :- H7ULT6

According to the description its the H7R that is not available untill May.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
85-105£ seems very steep

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
You can get them much cheaper, but if you buy cheap you could end up with ballast units that may not have the right power, they may not last or they may be fine.
Remember though. If they catch fire, your warranty may be void.
All I know is HIIDS4U are trusted buy me.
FITTING..this is a doddle. If you can change a bulb, you can fit Xenons. My car is a XY 1.6 thp. The ballast for the N/S is stuck to the fuse box located near the battery. The O/S was harder to locate. I ended up making a small bracket. This may be different with other spec cars.
This mod is especially good if you want to match the 6000k of the LED running lights, as well as having brighter headlights.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Installed HID kit yesterday, they look really good, and it was very nice to drive today. BUT, the radio reception is bad now, have to reinstall the ballasts, put them against metal.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Been looking at the hids4u ultimate ones are they ok with the automatic lights on the 208 going on and off? Also is the price on the site of 105 for a pair in the kit?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts