Peugeot 208 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Owned gti for 2 weeks
Last 4 days heard a grating sound coming from rear offside brake
Taken it in for test and have been told there a 'Pitting' and excessive wear apparently this should be expected of a car with a few thousand miles (not 500).
Technician stated it's prob from me 'riding' the brakes.
Having explained that I am not doing that (i am classed as an advanced driver in my work and am aware of potential issues around riding the brakes or clutch). I have only had 3 spirited drives in the 2 weeks of ownership (6 miles each which I assume a gti should be able to cope with) he then changed his mind stating it couldn't be explained and was 'uncommon' in such a low mileage car.
It has been documented with Peugeot and I have Been asked to monitor it and call back if it 'seizes up'
Not inspiring confidence in a 2 week old car.
I really don't want to become one if those customers fighting for warranty work from the start!

Any thoughts, experiences or advice would be appreciated.

I don't want/expect to be give a bill for new pads/discs in a year after only 8000 miles or so!Edited by: FOX1429

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
They also did a brake efficiency test which passed but showed slightly more wear on the one pad (rear offside) than the others,
Surely common sense would suggest that if I was driving like a boy racer (which I don't by the way) for 500 miles then all the pads would be showing more wear than would be expected not just the one?

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can anyone else with a GTI please let me know if they have any pitting/grooving of the discs and if so how early did these manifest themselves?

Also do you have a constant metallic noise from the brakes at low speeds?

Peugeot will not replace all pads/discs as they have tested the brakes again and have noted no faults!

·
Premium Member
506 Posts
No metalic noises from mine i'm afraid .
I don't think the discs are too badly worn!

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
I have the same problem! Metallic sound at low speeds, grinding when braking and heavily scored rear discs. I've asked them to take a look at them next week when my GTI goes in for the temperature sensor recall. I'm already expecting a list of excuses and am already planning out my letter of complaint to Peugeot.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
krlsh said:
I have the same problem! Metallic sound at low speeds, grinding when braking and heavily scored rear discs. I've asked them to take a look at them next week when my GTI goes in for the temperature sensor recall. I'm already expecting a list of excuses and am already planning out my letter of complaint to Peugeot.
Out of interest how old is yours and how many miles have you done?

I will be writing to peugeot uk again today requesting that they give me something in writing to confirm that they will replace pads and discs should they be needed during my 20,000 mile PCP deal.
I have owned new cars for the last 15 years and have never had to replace the parts over my 3 year PCP terms so I would not expect to have to with a £19,000 Peugeot. First (and prob last) peugeot for me.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
krlsh said:
Mine is 5 months old and it has about 1400 on the clock (I've only done 300 as it's an ex demo vehicle)
Very early then same as mine (600 miles)
I have asked my dealer for something in writing to say they will replace pads/discs over my 20,000 mile PCP term if they're required.

Will see this afternoon if they will oblige.

If not I'll be back onto Peugeot uk.
Will let you know.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Just collected my car from the dealership after going in for the temperature sensor recall. The service guy told me this morning that there is another recall as of the 21st March to check the positive battery cable routing and protection, so they checked that too. I asked them to have a look at the rear brakes due to the grinding sound and scoring on the discs. To my surprise, they replaced the discs and pads with no fuss at all! And they re-aligned the steering wheel as it wasn't perfectly centred (I hadn't even noticed)

I was expecting a battle over the brakes but I'm pleasantly surprised. Car sounds much better when applying the brakes now.. No grinding sound at all.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well they wouldn't do mine although they will keep an eye in them and if a change is needed prematurely they will oblige apparently.
Keep me posted on how these discs do as it will be interesting to see if they score straight away!!

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
No problems with mine. The journey home from the dealership (126 miles) was fine but the brakes smelled badly. That was the brand new pads bedding in. Other than that, no problems at all. 700 miles down the line my GTi loves life!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All,<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">

<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">Just joined but been lurking for months - thanks to the forum I've been able to have my SatNav updated FOC. I purchased in Feb and lobbied Peugeot for update to Postcode capabilities successfully.
<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">

<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">A quick note - my car developed a rubbing in rear-left about three weeks ago which I've had looked at today. After just 6,000 miles my rear left disc is badly corroded (all others are immaculate) - about an inch and a half from the edge all round.
<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">

<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">Garage are investigating with regard to warranty and I have raised it separately with Customer Care.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have noticed the same issue a grinding noise on the rear sounds like the pads are rubbing on the discs! Going to take it in on monday and see what they say. car has done 9800 miles.

Also get the issue with handbrake realise handbrake and pull away and get a clunk from pads realising from the discs.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi my discs have started corroding as well, noticed on the front about a inch wide as well. Is this a common problem or a fault with the discs, please can someone advise. I have had other problems with my GTI, so don't have much faith in Peugeot anymore.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My brake discs have also been rubbing and get the clunk when I set of after the hand break has been released. Not taken it in yet though gona see how it goes

·
Registered
14 Posts
The clunk is normally when it has rained and the brakes stick a bit. This is normal or if the car has been sat for a while i.e. a week

1 - 20 of 23 Posts