Peugeot 208 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why would anyone want to modify the 208GTI from the original spec.

What is the point of lowering the suspension, mapping etc. Surely Peugeot has got the design correct, and the lowered cars look ridiculous with the wheels scraping the wheel arches. In my town you wouldn,t get over the speedhumps!

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
How can the design of a car be correct? It's completely subjective.

You can make a car faster, you can make it look better and you can make changes that individualise it.

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The manufacturer would have spent a fortune on developing the car, so why shouldn,t it be correct.

Faster, but why, where can the speed be used legally?
Look better, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, they say.

Would these mods affect the warranty and insurance must be higher for a boy racer

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
You're evidently just don't get it. As I said, there's no 'correct'! If there was, there would be no point in car reviews.

No everyone is bothered about the warranty or insurance,. They see them as necessary evils

Define a correct car please

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Hi, nice to see a healthy dicussion between two 'senior members'. I can see both sides of this debate. When I was a teenager (too many years ago now) I spent a lot of time and money customising my cars both in engine and bodywork ways. This was my way of personalising them to my own tastes. The only constraint was that the cars were always second-hand and did not cost me a lot of money to buy. in my eyes they were simply being improved from what I had bought.
I must admit that as car design has improved dramatically ovee the years I have trouble understanding why anyone would spend a lot of money on a 'new' car only to adapt/alter it in any way. The manufacturer has spent a lot of time and effort in producing a range of models to suit a variety of tastes and driving styles so apart from adding extras what else would need to be done ?

I do find it interesting to read what people do to their brand new GTIs although I sometimes have to take a step back in surprise at these activities. Even so I applaud their efforts even if it would not be my choiceto change my lovely 208 in any way.

I think this could become an interesting discussion in the next few weeks/months, keep it up.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
I understand Nicky and I agree to a point, but I don't think it's as bkack and whiite as exmgzr said. If you're bothered about sticking to the speed limit, why get a GTI at all?
Simple stuff like paintwork and trim modifications can make your car just a little bit different and they can be put back to how they originally were.

I'm not sure on the argument about mapping, I can't see any downside to it, other than warranty issues. Engines are mapped from the factory to fit certain emission regulations, certain power ranges etc, but I don't think it means they can't be improved.

I guess some people have a lot more interest in and appreciation of fast/attractive cars than others. I don't think I have to settle for something just because a car designer made it that way..

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
HI, JBD, I quite agree with you, if someone wants to spend a lot of money buying a new car and then spending even more 'adapting' it to their own design then I have no problem with them doing so at all. My point is that I don't understand why it is necessary to to this with a 'new' car. Indeed I have done such modifications myself in my younger days but only with cheaper, second-hand cars where the value of the vehicle is not too adversely affected by my actions. We all have different reasons for buying the cars that we drive and in many cases this involves compromises to what we would consider to be ideal. My 208 ticks all my 'requirement' boxes and even adds a few nice touches that I hadn't originally considered when I was looking for a new car so I wouldn't dream of changing it purely for cosmetic or performancereasons but I would fully support anyone who chose to do so, even if I don't understand the reason why.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
I guess it's not possible for me to design my own car, so I just buy the one that's closest to my ideal and then just change a few things. I get enjoyment out of it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts