Peugeot 208 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Fellow 208-ers! Greetings from France!

My name is Sin Yong Wook and I am a designer at Peugeot France.

Tommorow will be a very special day for me because, my own 208 Gti will be collected from one of our dealer!

I am very excited to share our experiences in this forum and I will get back to you soon with some photos of my car!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dan, meanwhile, I am reading some comments in this forum and getting used to the chat room!

Weather forcast tomorrow is looking rather gloomy and wet but I will try to get some photos at the moment of collecting the car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well my red Gti here!

Great to sit in a spotless new car with just 2km on the clock.
Though I have worked on the car for years, it really is a special feeling to have my own 208 Gti.

·
Administrator
487 Posts
Welcome along, hope you enjoy our forum. So what input did you have on the 208?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
CTH- Combine Téte Haute (Head up instrument pannel)

That comes with;
-The weird tiny oval shaped steering wheel.

-The head up instrument panel that some dumb journalist claims they can not see the dials.

and,
-The semi -floating touch screen.

Basically, I am the inventor and responsible of this bizarre new driving environment for Peugeot.

·
Administrator
487 Posts
Good job! I like the smaller wheel saved me having to change it.

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
G'day SYW,

Great to hear about your input to such a great design. Great job. Before ordering my GTi, I had read all the 'can't see the instruments' scare mongering. Then I sat in a 208 Allure Sport (Australian version of the Feline THP 156). Instantly loved the wheel size and position, and view of the instruments.
Love your red GTi. I'm not sure why our UK friends like Black, White, and Shark Grey so much. You'll find a few pics of mine here. http://www.208ownersclub.co.uk/forum/gti-aust_topic655.html
Thanks.
Spec.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bonjour Spec!

Thanks for your kind comment

I had a good look at your car, it looks like we have the same "spec"?

I will one day write a long article about how the new driving position of Peugeot was invented and developed.. It was a really tough work and a lots of research and testing has gone into it. Not to mention, making very difficult and brave decisions by our directors.
It is just so sad that some so called, experienced journalists are not even trying to understand its true intentions. While we had hardly no complaints what so ever from the average drivers from the street. In facts, the responses from the current 208 owners concerning the new driving position had never been better!

BTW, I envy your weather in Australia. It is getting rather miserable over here. Hopefully my Gti will be well run in and engine loosen up for the spring!

Edited by: Sin Yong Wook

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Dave.
I am glad to hear that.
I have have owned a Caterham 7 for 10 years with tiny, detachable momo steering wheel ( my profile photo).

It was this car that has inspired me to reduced the size of the steering wheel!

It seemed so logical to me that these days, with all cars having assisted steering and with new generations of compact air bags, there is no reasons to have a large diameter steering wheels any more..

One day, I will write a full story and the logic behind CTH in this forum... If there are enough interests.
Edited by: Sin Yong Wook

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bet that most of us 208 owners are really curious to find out how you came up with this new cockpit concept - after all, we are quite fond of it! The exterior design is also very pleasing with predator-like strong dynamic lines and a lot of nice little details. Although my initial reaction to the new design style of PSA was perhaps a bit reserved (after all, I'm an old fashioned guy), but now, after having owned these new 8-series Peugeots for a couple of years, I've grown to like their design a lot! I just hope that once the 508 gets a facelift soon its interior will also join the "Wook family" - and especially the dashboard/cockpit. I just can't wait...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
HelloDerAlte.

Glad you like the new driving position and the design of Peugeot in general.

It is funny you have mentioned the 508 because initially, the CTH unit was developed based on future 508 package to replace the 407! That was someting like in 2006!

Unfortunately the 508 project team rejected the idea at the end and went for the safer route using conventional driving position. Which is understandable because the clients of this market segments are often very conservative.

About the 508 face lift, I can't make much comments on that
. We don't want our competitors know what we are up to..

·
Registered
20 Posts
I would also like to hear the story of the cockpit design. It was one of the reasons for me buying the car - it feels very fresh and the cockpit (in my opinion) seems to be of better quality than the other cars I looked at (Corsa, Clio, Fiesta).

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
G'day again SYW,Earlier you described the 208 steering wheel as wierd. My boss just got a Jaguar F Type. This looks really wierd to me. https://www.jaguar.com/au/en/ftype/gallery (scroll through the pics to the interior)
I think they've missed the point on making the instruments visible. The 208 is much more logical.
Also, my wife has a 2007 Honda Civic. It has a digital speedo, temp, and fuel in a separate binacle above the wheel. Tacho and warning lights conventional through the wheel. I like it, but Ilike the 208 more.
Thanks again,
Spec.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Congratulations for the red GTI !

It is really good to see guys like you, from factory/design side join this forum and group.

I'm a Peugeot lover . Had a few 206, 207 and now 208 as well. Unfortunately here in Brazil we never had any GTI, since 206, 207 and 208 now. Rumors say we might get the GTI by 2014/2015 time frame. Last GTI series came with 306 only... Bad for Peugeot lovers like me. I would have bought the 208 GTI if available.

I love the heads up cluster, and the floating touch screen concept! That is awesome.

Here in Brazil, before official launch, some journalists were giving feedback based on what other journalists from Europe were saying. So there was a mix expectation of nice new car and maybe some problems with the new heads up proposal. But I can say that everyone loves this now in Brazil.

That's really nice and a new concept !

Welcome !

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hello erick 3.14.

And it is great to see Peugeot enthusiasts from the other side of the world, Brazile!

Thank you so much for your kind comments on Peugeot cars in general. And it is eye watering to hear about your positive remarks on on the CTH- the head up cluster / compact steering wheel and the semi- floating touch screen unit.
You won't believe how much energy we had to put in to develop, test and put those features in the market expecialy for the Peugeot 2 series which is our most important product!
I promise that I will soon write a story about how it was done and most importantly, WHY it was created and how so many of us fought to make it happen!

My Gti has now covered near two thousand kilometers and the engine is running in nicely. But since the weather in Parisian area has dropped down to near zero, I have to be carefull not to slip on the road.
I am well happy with the power of the Gti which I think is more than plenty enough for a road car.
I am especially impressed with the over-all refinement of the car, which is very easy to drive in the city which feels rather gentle and civilized untill you push it and wake up the car.

More later, I need to hit the bed early today as I have an early meeting at work tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Sin Yong Wook,

I needed a new car. My wife has a new MINI Cooper and I like this car very much. I like hothatches (do I spell it correctly?) since more than three decades and so I looked for a Clubman JCW or a Citroen DS3 Racing. Then after several weeks of searching, I visited on a whim a Peugeot dealer and was able totest drive the GTI for three days. The riding position and the entire car convinced me.

And so since one week I am the owner of a brand new GTI in Ruby Red (like yours).

Well done! I like this car very much.

Straker

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
I too love the new interior design. The floating dash is a fantastic modern touch and I think the smaller steering wheel makes the car feels very sporty. My only issue is the seats, the lumbar supports don't feel very supportive of an average sized person and seem too soft and too far apart. Overall though the design is very clever and distinctive.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts