Peugeot 208 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Another question...

Does anyone else find the gear change quite clunky? I'm not too sure of the best way to describe it! Mine seems quite loud almost, if that's right word! And is sometimes a little bit stiff on changing gear but I'm not sure if that is normal for the 208!

I got my 208 back in August 2012, so I can't really remember what the test drive was like in the 208 from the garage! Mine has always felt like this so have assumed that's just how it is, but while on this forum, I thought I'd ask the question!

Any info from any other 208 drivers would be great!

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
I find the 6 speed box in my THP 156 quite smooth now that I have gotten used to it (this is my first 6 speed transmission - it took a short while to understand just how high a gear you can correctly select at certain speeds).

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Hi,
The gear change on my 1.2 active (5 speed manual) wasrather 'clunky' when I first got the car but seems much smoother now after a few hundred miles. Maybe I've just gotten used to it, but it doesn't feel as smooth as my previous car (an 18year old Audi A4). However the spring loading for 5th and reverse is not as strong as the Audi was which makes the 208 gearbox much better to use.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
the gear change on my 1.2 is still awlful after 2500 miles , must say this is not the best car i have had the MPG is not good the engine has a bad flat spot between 2nd and 3rd and the gear change is notchy . the dealer says its normal

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
monkeyboy51 said:
the gear change on my 1.2 is still awlful after 2500 miles , must say this is not the best car i have had the MPG is not good the engine has a bad flat spot between 2nd and 3rd and the gear change is notchy . the dealer says its normal 
I have the same experience.
But if its different from any other cars in the class i dont know. Maybe it is just how these 3 cylinders are?

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
I feel the same about the gears. I think they have concentrated on the styling so much they have left out 'driver value' in places. The gears are notchy and a bit clunky, also I think the throw on the gears are long. I agree with the flat spots and I think it is down to it being a 3 cylinder. MPG however I find is great, averaging 60-70 for me. I think that if anyone isn't getting good MPG then they need to either go back to the dealer to check for a fault or in my opinion change their driving style. These stated MPG from peugeot aren't from normal driving but from careful and almost 'granny' styled driving lol . I slap my cruise control on all the time, even around town. Another thing I have noticed is on full lock going round the corner (even at a very slow speed) the camber on the wheels just doesn't feel right and one of the wheels looses traction and skips a little. Every time I park up the alloy alignment is different every time and I'm not loosing traction off the line etc.... Anyway I'll stop waffling now haha!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have no problem with my gearbox...... so it could be specific vehicles. It has not yet failed to engage reverse and generally is fine. Not quite as good as the Mazda 2 it replaces but pretty good.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Tom300zx

Seems like you drive very economic.

But do you think you could "slow down" the engine with your kind of driving?
I mean if you never push the gaspedal more than half and get into 5. gear at low speed.

I believe an engine run best when it is used ?

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
I'm still driving the engine as I don't tend to go into 5th much so keep the revs at an ideal range to give me the reactiveness I like. I just find the cruise control is more sensitive than any human foot, if that makes sense?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dear All,
I have seen your post here, and2 weeks before ipurchased a new 2013 Peugeot 208 active 1.6ltrs automatic/tiptronic, 5 doors. do anyone have a manual book in English? since I have only a French manual book. if anyone have a manual book in English, then please send it to me through email.

if anyone realized this, once the car is on the road, running and it is on the second gear, there is a sound and feelinglike shifting from second to the third gear ( the RPM goes down by 500RPM if it is 3500 then goes to 3000) but in actual the gear is not shifted to the third and it is still remaining on the second gear, then after the speed goes up againthen it is shifted to the third gear after that. the service center said that this is normal in the Peugeot cars gear in order to minimize the fuel consumption, but I don'tknow if this is true.

is this normal to happen in the gear shift like that, please help me. if it is not normal I need to go back to the service center again.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have described elsewhere problems that I have had with my 208 Allure 1.6 HDI 92.

This has been jumping out of first gear since new. Finally the dealer has acknowledged the problem, which may be related to movement of the engine.

They have never come across this problem before, and after fitting new cables, without effect, are going to take the gearbox out to examine.

Meanwhile I am in the process of rejecting the car as unfit for purpose.

·
Registered
26 Posts
In the end, after keeping my vehicle for nearly 3 weeks, my dealer had to replace all the components on first and second gear.

The car seems fine now, but the attitude of Peugeot UK was one of "So What?"

Could not care less, and not the least interested in compensating me for my experience, for the inconvenience I had, etc.

My 4th Peugeot might well be replaced by a Skoda !

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have posted here in other places about the problems with my 208 1.6 e-HDI 92 Allure gearbox.

Essentially it was jumping out of first gear around 10mph. Two visits to the dealer, "no problem found, Sir". and then I got Heavy.

They finally recognised the fault, kept the car almost 3 weeks and finally had to replace all the components on 1st and 2nd gear.

Peugeot UK were most unhelpful, and nobody seemed concerned that I had a bad experience with the car for 4 months before they would do anything. Also, nobody was interested in the time I had taken off work to take the car in. My dealer even wanted me to pay insurance on the loan car, until I put my foot down.

I have the car back now, but it is of course a 'damaged' vehicle in my eyes and I wish I could swap it and get back the 'fresh' car feel I should still be enjoying with a NEW car I purchased in April.

Anyway, the gearbox is good now, and slips confidently from 3rd into 5th or vice versa when there isn't any point in me dropping into 4th between. I feel that this U-shaped change is quite a good test of a gear change.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts