Peugeot 208 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, have a Peugeot 208 Allure 1.4 vti and love it, have had it since October, and sometimes have problems getting it into reverse. It is random, sometimes works fine and other times takes a few goes, the reverse lights go on but it wont move right over into reverse. But if you keep trying after about 4-5 times then works.... Anyone else having similar issues, any ideas or solutions?

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Hi, My 1.2 occasionally doesn't fully engage reverse (especially when cold) but I usually find just releasing the clutch momentarily sorts it out. I suspect that this may be caused by the reverse gear not having synchromesh and consequently the gears do not always align well enough to enable them to engage fully. I think this will improve as the car loosens up (it's only done 430 miles from new).

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Totally agree with Nicky, I'v noticed the same problem but had a word with my personal Peugeot Master tech friend and he said that the vast majority of them are like that till they've racked up a fair few miles.

As for now tho, do as Nicky said, release the clutch then try again

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well have done over 8000 miles in mine now and does it randomly, sometimes it wont happen for a while... but its one of those things that if i take it in to Peugeot, it wont happen for them.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
This does happen with all manual gearboxes, the answer is just let your clutch out for a couple of seconds then try again. Does improve with miles.

·
Registered
33 Posts
"They all do that sir."

Not had a problem thus far on the 208, a regular occurrence on the 607s I've owned. As suggested, lift the clutch then try again. I always used to take mine back right back to neutral before themove for reverse again.

As said, it's the lack of syncromesh that's the issue -you can feel it as you engage the gear.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts