Peugeot 208 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! First off i'm a new driver and bought myself a Peugeot 208 Allure 1.2 a few weeks ago and absolutely loving it! I'm just wondering when shall I fill up my engine oil? I know it all depends on the mileage and I have done around 350 miles so far. Shall I wait to fill it up? I'm due to drive to Cornwall in a few weeks (260 miles) Also what oil do you recommend for the 208? Thanks!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah obviously it was between min and max, i'll have a check of it when i'm next out in my car, engine has been cold since yesterday. I just wanted an estimate on how long people have had to wait until they filled up...

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Hi, I would not expect to have to add any oil to my engine at all between annual services. It is necessary to check the level periodically but if the level is found to be too low then the car should be returned to the dealer since this would indicate a leak (or even worse) which would need to be rectified.

·
Registered
4 Posts
if this is a new car make sure you have the car checked by the dealer after doing1000 miles or I think at 4 weeks of ownership whichever come first

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My annual service is due after 12,000 miles or June 2014, whichever comes first. So one person is telling me to not fill up and the other is telling me to fill up after 1000 miles....haha and yes it is a new car

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Hi, sounds like I need to make this really simple for you. Modern cars do not 'use' engine oil to any great extent unless there is a problem with them. So when your dealer prepared your new car for you it will have been given the correct quantity of oil. Unless there is a problem with the car this oil will last until the car's scheduled service (in your case June 2014) at which point your dealer will drain it away and refill with new, clean oil (as well as a new oil filter).
Your only responsibility between now and your next service is to check the level on a regular basis to ensure that no leaks or other problems have arisen since you took delivery of the car. You do this at the same time that you check the coolant level, brake fluid level, tyre pressures, etc.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah right, I thought you had to top up every 3,000 miles? I bet i'm coming across as a right amateur haha this is my first car! Yeah i'll do all the checks Friday after work. Thank you for your help!!

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Hi, no problem, we've all had to start at some point. Hopefully your 208 will not need anything doing to it at all so you can really enjoy it to its full potential. By the way, welcome to the forum, you'll find lots of useful information here.

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Would also recomend you check with your dealer re service - as a brand new car you should have a service check at around 1000 miles. Few people have said that there dealer did not mention it whilst others had theres booked in when they took delivery of the car. This is a check to make sure that after the car has been used it is still ok, no unexpected leaks, door seals are ok etc.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for the help guys! :) Just checked my levels then and everything is all good but the brake fluid levels are hard to read, the brake fluid reservoir is so small! I might have to unscrew the cap and dip a rag in. I would have hoped you could see the levels without removing the cap!

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Hi, I wouldn't recommend dipping anything into the brake fluid reservoir. Brake fluid can be easily contaminated which is the last thing you would want. I suggest you just remove the cap have a look where the fluid level is then replace the cap. Don't leave the cap off for too long because brake fluid will absorb moisture from the atmosphere which will lower its boiling point. Also make sure you don't get any brake fluid on your paintwork, it is a very good paint stripper.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yep i've heard it's very toxic. I've seen videos on youtube with people dipping rags and cloths in haha i'll open the cap before I start off to work tomorrow, thanks once again!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok so I might be being really dumb but i've taken the cap off the brake fluid resevoir and it's got a seal on? Is this normal? It's really hard to see any fluid in the resevoir!

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Hi, I think what you are referring to is the filter which is inserted into the filler neck. It is a fine mesh designed to prevent particles of contaminant entering the reservoir. You can easily remove it to look at the fluid level by gently rocking it from side to side while pulling it towards you. Just make sure you put it back in when you have finished. Oh and make sure that the filler cap itself is wiped clean before you remove it.

I find that the fluid level on my 208 is easier to see if I just rock the reservoir container gently so that the fluid level moves.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I bought my first Peugeot, a 206, in 2002 and now I am running my 4th Peugeot, a 208 1.6 e-HDI 92. In over 100,000 miles I have NEVER added any oil.

I did have some fun with my 206 HDI 70 when in the first month I managed to snap the plastic dipstick by clumsily pulling it out of the slot. Had to drive slowly to the dealer so that they could extract the long bit still left inside (their cleaner lady did it !) and order a new one.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts