Peugeot 208 Forums banner

Extended '1 Month Check'

10K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  penfoldinireland 
#1 ·
The 1 month / 1000 mile check for my 208 was scheduled for 14:00 on Monday 26 November, and I understand these to be of about an hour's duration. The car has presently done just 180 miles. However, due to some issues which have arisen, I have been asked to take my car in first thing on Monday and to leave it there. I've mentioned elsewhere the fact that the Cornering Fog lamps do not work, which are on the list to be looked into, but there are several other things requiring some attention.

Footwell lamp completely missing from drivers side footwell.

Fuel Gauge doesn't seem to go much above 3/4 (just above 3/4 mark!) even when the tank is full to the top of the filler pipe.

Last Friday when I started the car, the engine management warning lamp stayed on, and was accompanied with a message indicating that 'Engine Repair' was required. As the Dealer is just around the corner from where I park during the day, I took the car straight in and they very kindly looked at it immediately. They tell me that 2 (of the dreaded!!) 'EGR faults' were recorded, reset these and advised me to "see how it went". It was OK until Wednesday morning, when the warning lamp and message were back again. On approaching the dealer this time they said to bring it in first thing on Monday for the 1 month check and to investigate this.

I know most of you probably have petrol versions, (this is a 1.4 eHDi (70) Allure with EGC gearbox) but has anyone else had any such issues?

See less See more
#3 ·
Im still very pleased with it, it's a lovely car, although I too hope it's all sorted out on Monday. You have to bear in mind that as well as a brand new car, it's also a brand new model, so some issues are perhaps to be expected. The dealership seem to be very good and doing their best, so Im sure all will be OK in the end.

#5 ·
Hi CJ, Thanks for your reply. Very glad to hear that you're not having any issues with your 1.4 eHDi, that makes me feel hopeful that this EGR 'fault' isn't going to be a big problem. I'm sure it will be much better for the car and the EGR once I can actually start to use it properly, rather than the couple of miles or so, to work and back each day. Do you also have the EGC gearbox, or is yours the 5 speed manual? Not that I have any issues with the gearbox, I'm very impressed with that!

#6 ·
Hi Pete, yes I guess your right. We're the ginuea pigs for the 208. Definitely good to hear that you still enjoy the car. Reassuring also that CJ has coverd 2000 miles without any issue.
I don't intend to keep the car beyond three years so in the worst case scenario it should be covered by warranty.

#7 ·
It is the egc gearbox. It takes a little getting used to. It does tend to change up earlier than you might if you operate it manually but I guess that is all about saving fuel.

It is quite fun to drive in flappy paddle mode too. One thing I was not aware of until a couple of days ago is that when in 'full auto' you can pull the '-' flappy paddle when looking to overtake to force a drop down - quite cool that.

CJ

#8 ·
Interesting to note that you have the same or similar model as me, CJ, so prepare for some questioning,
I'll try not to be a nuisance!

I think that the gearbox is great, but I was already used to automated manual gearbox's anyway from several other vehicles. I like the early up-change, as it makes me feel that I'm saving that precious fuel! The paddle shifts are very useful for those times like you suggest, when you just need to take control!

I'll start off by asking if yours is a 3 or 5 door version, and could you tell me please if it has lighting in both the passenger and driver's side footwells?

I've just got mine back from it's 'extended' one month check, and the dealer is trying to convince me that they don't have lighting (or even the wiring for it) in the drivers side footwell.
There are at least 2 unused sockets up above the trim which look suspiciously as though they might be for this sort of thing to me, which I shall shortly test! Mine is a 3 door version, and my parents have a 5 door version of the same model, and theirs certainly has lighting in both footwells.

Concerning my other issues, I have to approach the sales department for a £70 refund for the cornering fog lamps which as said in another thread, cannot be incorporated into the Allure - I note that my parents (who ordered their car after mine) were not even offered the cornering fog lamps and were charged only for the reversing sensors anyway, so it looks as though Peugeot are now aware of this.

I have to have a new fuel tank sender unit to cure the fuel gauge not reading full when the tank is, and this has been ordered. I suspected this and said so.

As for my engine management warning lamp, after being on every time I'd used the car since last Wednesday, it strangely did not appear when on the way to the dealers this morning!! They tell me that they investigated this and again cleared some EGR faults and forced a regeneration of the DPF, which they hope will cure that particular problem.

Though I still love the car, I'm not altogether thrilled at the results of todays investigations, nor the fact that it will now have to go back to the dealers yet again to get the remaining items sorted out.

#9 ·
10:20 at night and I am checking footwell lights!! Anyway mine has lights in both footwells - it is also the three door version (so much better looking than the five door but don't mention that to the five door owners). The light in the driver's foot well is in-line with the brake pedal.

On the flip side can you please advise if you have a plastic cover over the engine - mine doesn't but I have seen pics of the 1.4 with one, there are studs to attach it but my dealer says there is not a part for it - perhaps my dealer is related to yours!!!

CJ

#10 ·
Thanks very much for looking at the footwell lamps for me, CJ, it really was greatly appreciated, and provided me with valuable 'leverage' in persuading the dealer that the lamp should in fact be present in the driver's side footwell. I'm pleased to hear what you say about the 3 door model and completely agree with you about the appearance - in fact someone said the very same thing to me only today!

I absolutely understand about the dealers saying there is no part for this or that - I have the same experiences - I shall be looking at your profile in a minute to see if we are in fact using the same dealer!!

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by a plastic cover over the engine, having only seen mine and my parents car. They both look identical but here's a picture of mine here for you, which I hope will be helpful. I think I can see the studs you are referring to though.

#11 ·
To sum up this extended check then, I actually got 2 of my four issues taken to satisfactory conclusions:

Non existant Cornering Fog Lamps cost refunded

Engine Management Faults (EGR) cleared (again) and forced regeneration of DPF, all of which is so far OK.

The car needs another appointment at the dealership though to fit:

A new fuel gauge sender unit to the tank to cure the fuel gauge not reading full when the tank is. On testing this by refilling the tank to the brim, the gauge continues it's downward direction and now reads just above 1/2 tank.

Drivers side footwell lamp, which despite the mountings and wiring being present for, at least two others of the same model I know have this, the Service Advisor tells me there is no part for. Having looked at the car yesterday, hopefully the parts department has now got this on order as well.

It feels quite a struggle, but I WILL have it all right in the end!

#12 ·
Yes keep at it Pete, some dealers will try it on - to be fair though sometimes think it is communication between Peugeot and the dealers that is often the problem and the pressure dealers are put under to not admit anything. It's like the timing chain issues on the THP engine that can arise - these were supposed to have been fixed after a certain datewhen it was put in the 207, mini, RCZ etc but it still occurs. That was a big reason why we got rid of 207 GTi when it was 3 years old as did not want to take the risk of it going wrong out of warranty as we had experienced a problem in that area once andhad to have timing reset - dealer refused to acknowledge that there was a problem with this even though it was being widely reported. Crossing fingers we dont have same issue on 208 but at least it will be in warranty if we do

#15 ·
Hi CJ,

Oh yes, I've not seen one of those covers before, but the only 208 engines I have seen are mine and my parents car, which are both identical. It certainly looks more 'finished' and complete by todays standards. I notice it's marked only as "e-HDi", so is there a possibility that the one in your picture could be the 1.6 Model? Having said that it seems as though it's fitted onto those two 'ball head' studs which are exposed on ours, on top of the engine top (rocker or camshaft) cover.

When (if!) I ever get to the bottom of my other pressing issues I might just feel brave enough to start pursuing this with the dealers!!
Firstly perhaps we need to appoint an 'unknown agent' to visit dealers looking at 208 diesel engines to see how many have that cover fitted!

Thursday (today) was 'bandied about' the service dept. office to complete my repairs but as I'd not heard from them that they had the parts in stock, I rang them this morning to check if they meant it. I've now been told to get the fuel tank level down below half for the fuel gauge sender unit change, and then contact them next week, so looks like I have some motoring (or syphoning!) to do over the weekend, but that's a bit worrying in a somewhat unfamiliar car (still less than 200 miles on the clock), which I know had a full tank on Monday and has done about 20 miles since but the fuel gauge now reading just over half!

#17 ·
hi pete i have looked on peugeot web site were you confirure new 208 and when you choose engine the 1.4 have cover over it and if you google 1.4 engine picture it show plastic cover . I'am still waiting for my 208 hope you get it sorted find picture of 1.4 attached .

#18 ·
Are you sure that's not a petrol 1.4, Ferrari? That engine looks totally different to the one CJ and I have. The Oil Filler Cap and the Dipstick are aligned on the diesel 1.4, plus, the front grille we have is unique to the 1.4 e-HDi model, and that one doesn't look the same.

#21 ·
PeteSanders said:
Are you sure that's not a petrol 1.4, Ferrari? That engine looks totally different to the one CJ and I have. The Oil Filler Cap and the Dipstick are aligned on the diesel 1.4, plus, the front grille we have is unique to the 1.4 e-HDi model, and that one doesn't look the same.
Hi Pete, never seen a 1.4 Ferrari
sorry couldn't resist - thats how I read it to start with !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.