1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, All.

I encountered an odd problem today.

I've got a 208 1.2 Active 5 door.

Left home for work, no problem. Stopped 1/4 mile down the road to fill up with petrol. After filling, I found that the remote key fob would not lock the car; no response at all.

After paying, I got in the car and put the key in to the 'warning light' stage. The windscreen wiper operated in intermittent mode, even though it was switched off.

The needles on the speedo and rev counter just fluctuated about zero, not the usual sweep when ignition on. The car would not start. The boot remained locked and would not open. I took the key out of the ignition and the warning lights stayed on for several minutes. Warning message 'oil level measurement invalid'. (I knew the oil level was fine, having checked it with the dipstick). Several attempts at starting the car had no effect.

After phoning the dealer then Peugeot Assist to arrange recovery, I tried once more (this was about 30 minutes from the fault appearing). Everything worked normally and I drove the 30 miles to work.

I've now got booked into the dealer to have a look and see if they can find what was wrong. I'll post the results.

If anyone has any comments or observations, I'd welcome them.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update: the dealer had the car in for two days. The technician told me that every computer system showed up a fault when analyzed. He cleared all the fault memories. He suggested that the problem could be ignition related, which would explain the warning lights, wipers and no locking when the key was out. However, having followed a fault flowchart, there was no definitive problem identified.

So I've just got to see if it happens again. I've driven it since and there has been no problem at all. I'll post if there's anything else.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
i had a similar problem with mine about a week after i bought it where the usb drive had a problem when i turned the car on and wanted to listen to my music. the touch screen froze then after about 5 minutes it would crackle, go black and restart.

i took it back to the dealer and after it was reset by the dealer i've had no problem since...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Indeed.

The problem has not reoccurred (yet!), but another minor anomaly has appeared. When I use the handbrake, the brake warning light flickers momentarily then goes off. The handbrake itself is operating normally. Not that critical, so I will take it into the dealer's when convenient.

Update: I filled the car with petrol and then the handbrake light worked normally. Huh?

Anyway, the car is now run in with 3500 miles on the clock. I've just got back from a long weekend in the Lake District and couldn't resist the Hardnott Pass and Wrynose Pass. The 208 performed admirably throughout.

Edited by: Winterholder

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Just had this happen to me.
Went into local off licence on way home, on returning to car the remote unlocking did not work, so has to unlock car the old fashioned way, doing so thankfully unlocked the car but the mirrors did not pop out.
So already getting some bad vibes I put key in ignition to be met with "invalid oil measurement" message, and car does nothing on being turned over, already pretty confident I had correct oil as checked a week ago I double checked and still dead car on attempting to turn over.
Annoyingly I'm so near to home the AA probably don't want to know (no homestart), I decide to consult Google whilst I decide what to do. Turns out I'm not alone, explanations range from dipsticks being took long, faulty sensor, to the usual one off pug mystery gremlins.
Give the car one last try and it thankfully starts up as normal with no errors.
Now able to get home. Tested start up a few times and no errors or issues, So hopefully just a one off.
No longer under warranty but think a trip to the local dealer may be a wise precaution
Car is 1.6 thp feline.
Anyone has this occur, is it likely to happen again?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had this occur on an older car and it was a loose wire causing intermittent contact near the fuse box. As the ECU obviously also goes via the fuse box I checked all the connections between the battery and the fuse box and the main feed going in was loose. After tightening it up the problem went away

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Had the same problem last night.Could not lock/unlock the car. All lights on dashboard came on with some weird warning about oil measurement. Car would not start etc.
Called recovery services.
Then after 20 minutes decided to give it another go and the car started first time. No problem since.
Interestingly , I also have a USB stick permanently plugged in... I also have a new mobile phone charger plugged into the cigarette lighter... I wonder of there may be some correlation.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My instruction book advised, in a similar situation: unlock door with key, fit key in ignition lock and move to 2nd position and hold for a short period, remove key and operate as normal.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had same issue this evening. Put shopping in boot after remotely opening car. Put key in ignition and dash lit up like Xmas tree. Loads of warning, stop, engine warning and weird oil level warning. Then key would not open or lock anything and boot was locked without being able to get in it.
Called out green flag. He removed battery live wire and shorted it to earth. This reset everything and started 1st time. He had no idea what caused it but said it could be anything and advised a trip to dealer advising me that they might not get to bottom of it either. I had dashcam plugged into cig lighter socket. It is in there all the time and has been for months. Time to get rid me thinks and get an Audi.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've had similar fault with other cars. In particular an Alfa Romeo, it had the exact same symptoms. Due to lots of errors on all electronic systems it may well be common point of failure as mentioned earlier in regards to fuse box.

I'd be checking the main ground cables in and around the engine bay as a loose, corroded or damaged ground can pay havoc with car systems.
On the Alfa it was the main cable grounding the car body was corroded.

I would also suspect the battery itself, I had another car that developed an intermittent fault with the electrical systems that turned out to be low voltage on the battery.

Steve

1 - 13 of 13 Posts