Peugeot 208 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

After some extremely heavy rain yesterday, I went to drive home from work, and the first time I braked I noticed a drip of water from the passenger side. I thought it had come from the panoramic roof but on closer inspection, it had dripped from the rubber seal around the passenger door.

I have always noticed that after rain, the edge around the door (both driver and passenger) when you open it is always a bit wet, and there are trickles of water on the velour type inner part of the door edging, and the part where this sits on the actual car has then got condensation on it.

I'm probably not explaining myself very well, (sorry, I'm female!) but just wondered if anyone else had noticed this? It's the first time its ever dripped inside with the doors and windows shut, but it was a particularly bad day for rain!

I'm guessing its just a normal thing?!

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Hi,
I don't think that getting water intrusion is really 'normal' unless you leave the doors or windows open. It is possible that your doors do not shut close enough to allow the seals to work effectively. It is worth having the door shut position checked at your dealer.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is a photo I took yesterday evening of my open passenger door after leaving work. It had rained lightly for pretty much all of the day. You can see the dribbles of wet that have got in while the door has been shut.

And here is a photo of the condensation/damp that appears on the part of the car where the door is shut.

The drivers door yesterday and this morning, has only been a tiny bit damp, but that is not always the case, so I guess it varies on where it is parked and the direction of the rain. My car is only a 3 door so no rear doors to worry about.

Can it be possible that both doors are not set correctly?

I'm guessing no-one else has this wetness around there doors? I don't want to look an idiot taking my car to the dealership and them thinking I'm just a female and fobbing me off and telling me its normal!

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Hi, that looks like an awful lot of water intrusion on your passenger door. it definitely needs to be sorted. I suggest you show the photo to your dealer. I'm not familiar with the three door but I suspect the small round black 'plug' at the top ot the door is there to stop the door closing too far. It's possible that this is not allowing the door to shut far enough hence allowing water ingress. It should be a fairly straightforward job for your dealer to fix.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, I took my car in to be looked at on Friday. On collection, I got told that this wetness was normal. They told me that had compared other 208 models and it all looked the
same, and they had not heard of any problems through Peugeot that this
was an issue. They hadn't tested the problem with any water though, as they were extremely busy and didn't really have time to look at my car. Apparently on the doors, the outside seal is a water seal, the inside one just stops wind noise so this is normal to be wet?! They are replacing the rubber seals on both sides that can be seen on the second picture just incase this is not giving a tight enough seal and lets in water to the car.

So basically, I have to take there word for it! And put up with wet around the doors as in picture 1!

The

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Surely the point of a seal is to.....seal. Suggest if you get no joy from dealer, send an email direct to customer services at Peugeot.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Looking at the photos it would seem that the thicker rubber seal that is on the cabin side is the water seal and the 'velour' seal on the door is the wind noise seal. When I wash my car with a pressure washer (Karcher) I have to wipe down the metal frame around the doors (the area outside the thick rubber cabin seal) as water does get in there but no water ever enters the cabin. If you have water dripping into the cabin then your seals must be either defective or incompetently installed. I would suggest that if this happening when the car is new you will have increasing problems in the future when the seals wear. Nothing will last forever but you should have a reasonable expectation that no water should enter the cabin of your car for at least 10-20 years when you might consider replacing the door seals, particularly if you treat them with an appropriate product ever blue moon.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the exact same problem, only that mine gets very badly iced in cold weather, so much so that I have to scrape the inside as much as I do the outside, this has been taken back to the dealers on 4 occasions, only to be told that there was a faulty seal on the drivers door and was replaced.

This in fact made not the slightest bit of difference, I have also taken the vehicle to another Peugeot dealer on two occasions, the first time they done water tests etc, and now I have taken the car back as this problem continues, the ice was the tip of the iceberg, pardon the pun. They have now contacted me to say they have taken the headlining out aside the panoramic roof and still cannot find anything, but surely 30 minutes to clear the inside of a car due to being heavily iced up is surely not right, has anybody experienced this, I even showed them videos of me scraping the interior of ice.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
It doesn't look like it has gone past the inner seal at all. I have to agree with what the dealer says, it doesn't seem to be doing any harm.

·
Registered
2 Posts
my sons 208 has just started doing the same thing, if there's ice/water/condensation on the inside then the car is faulty, so tomorrow I start the battle with Peugeot. if any one has any luck please email methanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
just a note that there can be other causes for damp in cabin, my Vauxhall had a blocked drain hole which made the water back up through the pollen filter and heater motor and on carpet in passenger footwell, a well placed finger sorted the blockage. just saying look for blockages in the water run offs

1 - 11 of 11 Posts