Peugeot 208 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got home after my drivers rear tyre failed. There was no warning aside from the car pulling to the right. The Michelin tyre deflated quickly and there was no warning given on the dashboard. I thought these GTi cars had a warning sensor when the tyre suffers deflation? I was quite lucky to pull over when I did as the alloy had sheered the tyre wall away from the alloy! I phoned Peugeot assistance as I had problems changing the wheel. Be aware!! Peugeot wanted to charge me £120 for a call out fee for help with changing the tyre! Bearing in mind when I bought the car I was told I had 3 Years of AA breakdown and worry free motoring! I was told that the free 3 year cover did not include the tyres!! Just spent 22k on this car and that's the level of service I have received! Disgusted! Good job a traffic highways pulled over the lend me a hand otherwise I would have had to pay for a £120 charge for help on a dark road! I'm arranging a visit to my local Peugeot dealer tomorrow where I bought the car to ***** and moan over the fact that despite me being apparently covered by AA in fact I wasn't!

The upshot is this could happen to you so be aware that tyre problems are not covered under breakdown or punctures by the 3 year inclusive roadside assistance with Peugeot.Edited by: j74656

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Have you read the detail of the AA breakdown cover? Also, you spent 22k on it! What options did you get for that?

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well when the sales guy hands over the keys to a brand new car and says that theres nothing to worry about for 3 years including breakdown assistance given that in previous experiences when i had arranged my own breakdown cover on my previous cars it did include tyres and roadside assistance then why would I start to read through a policy document?. when you order a brand new car with optional extras you would have at least thought spending that kind of money your breakdown cover would have included help with changing a tyre - especially when you are on a very busy dual carriageway at night in low level light where the bolts to the tyre were tightly screwed on.

If the 208GTi had tyre pressure sensors alerting me to the fact that a problem was developing with that tyre this would have been helpful! On my previous GTi there was mention in the handbook of that car having tyre deflation sensors. Just find it odd why the new GTi dosent have this especially when the tyres fitted to the car are NOT run flat tyres to!

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
This proves that you should really read exactly what is covered. I work for a car dealership and I'm fully aware that a lot of inclusive breakdown packages have odd things that they don't cover. A common one is that they often will only take you to a garage within a 10 mile radius if you break down at home.It's common sense to read through a policy. The GTI does have a full size spare, which is probably one reason why it's not covered.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Hi, I seem to recall that my RAC breakdown cover (prior to my buying my 208) excluded punctures and also didn't cover me for callouts within a quarter mile of my house. One of the first things I did when I collected my 208 was to ensure that I could at least undo the wheel nuts should I ever need to. I also checked that I knew where the jacking points were and that the jack actually worked.
Luckily my dealer seemed to have prepared my car quite well and the wheel nuts had not been over-tightened.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have known people in the past who have had punctures and they received assistance at the roadside for help with tyre replacement inclusive of cost of their cover. I spoke to Kwik Fit and my local small garage and they were gobsmacked that my 3 year warranty didn't include this in the three year assistance when I explained to them what had happened.. when you are stuck on a very busy dual carriageway at night its all very good to say "well perhaps you should have read your peugeot assistance!". why didn't my GTi warn me of a loss in tyre pressure as was the case with my 207 GTi??? if i had known my tyre was losing pressure i would have pulled over sooner without destroying the tyre in the process.
Edited by: j74656

·
Registered
15 Posts
Have you checked your paperwork from the dealer? You should have what is known as an FCA pack which will list the insurance products you should have been offered based on your answers to a demands and needs questionnaire, It will state whether you were offered the AA+ upgrade to cover you for non fault items. You will have had to sign this paperwork to confirm your decision on whether to purchase recommended insurance products.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't recall being asked if I wanted to upgrade my AA breakdown cover nor tyres being excluded with the current policy otherwise I would have opted to upgrade the policy. I was led to believe everything was included.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Must admit I thought under those circumstances you were covered. No way my wife would manage to change a tyre at the side of the road and I thought it was peace of mind if I wasn't nearby.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
It seems we all get a different level of service from Peugeot dealers. Some, it would appear, care about their customers and explain everything when handing over a new car.
I had none of this information given to me, maybe it comes under the heading of 'mis-selling' !
Perhaps, Dan, you have the 'ear' of someone at Peugeot who could look into what their dealers get up to.

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
As far as I was aware most breakdown policies do not include tyre damage, some do have it as an optional extra - when we bought on passport scheme we were certainly made aware that tyres were not covered.
On a seperate car purchase from another manufacturer I was offered several additional insurance options, one of whichinclude tyre and alloy damage.

I think there is potential fault on both sides - the seller has a level of duty to make sure they have explained any financial products appropriately but likewise the buyer has to be sure they understand the product they are buying.

Had not realised that there were no tyre pressure sensors on the GTi now, there were on the 207 ! Even if there was sensors if the blow out was caused by a cut tyre from something on the road and was instant then they wouldn't really help you in that situation.

On a seprate note were you onthe motorway with saying a motorway cop helped you out. If so I thought you were prohibited from changing a tyre yourself on the motorway and were required to seek assistance due to safety.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts