Peugeot 208 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had it in for its first service (1.4hdi active 3 dr) and was told after 13000 miles (we bought it at 6000 miles) it needs a new clutch, having been driving for nearly 15 years and driving many different cars I have never had clutch problems esp from pretty much a brand new car - its a 12 plate

Is this a common problem with the 208 or have I just been unlucky?? Cant really afford the 900 quid arnold clark are quoting for fixing.

Cheers for any help

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Sorry don't know re it being a common problem, I can imagine some folks struggling with the clutch on the 1.2 vti having issues in the future though.
And from my experience with Arnold Clark over the years, I would certainly get away from there ASAP and take to a different dealer.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Hi, Did you notice any problems with the clutch or is it just the dealer telling you that there is a problem ? I have had dealers in the past tell me that major workwas needed on my previous car (an Audi A4) and when I got a second opinion there was nothing at all wrong. I would definitely seek a second opinion.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Only problem I've noticed was a random loss of power when using the cruise control revs and power slip but never had any clutch or gear problems

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Peugeot have said that the clutch doesn't come under the warranty as it's a wear and tear part, they will only cover if once it's been stripped to find the problem and it's been a fault

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
craigyz1981 said:
Peugeot have said that the clutch doesn't come under the warranty as it's a wear and tear part, they will only cover if once it's been stripped to find the problem and it's been a fault

LOL so you have to change the clutch for every 13000 miles :) Maybe they should build better quality.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also have 208 1.4hdi allure 2012which has done 17000 miles told today by Peugeot garage clutch slipping and needs replaced quoted about 1000 pound I also have driven many cars old ones andbefore the 208 a brand new Hyundai in which I did 45000 miles with no clutch problems. Garage also saidPeugeot also onlycoverwarranty until 6000 miles I bought the car with 6000 miles on it.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Well is it possible to replace it with another brand?It wont be very smart just to replace it with another peugoet clutch.
Unless you want to replace it again within the next 13000 miles :(

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
I've seen several reviews which say that the 208 clutch has a very 'high' biting point. I wonder if the clutch slip is in any way due to the clutch not fully releasing when the pedal is not depressed rather than any inherrent wear in the pressure plate. I presume that there must be some way of adjusting the play in the clutch release mechanism to ensure that theclutch is fully released.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Think we should start a new thread and call it Clutch issues!! May becollating all the posts may force a recall if it is specific to an engine 1.4 hdi

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
change the rubbish oem one for a Borg & Beck, it'll last years, if this happened to me i'd change it myself

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 1st Pug said:
Think we should start a new thread and call it Clutch issues!! May becollating all the posts may force a recall if it is specific to an engine 1.4 hdi

I've just posted in another thread that I have exactly the same problem with this model. A 14 plate bought from Motorpoint. I think having to fork out £1000 with a matter of weeks after purchasing a 9 month old car is totally unacceptable. Any advice would be gratefully received.

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
The clutch is the worst thing on my 208. It works ok but I've never had a car with such a vague biting point. I've had it for over a year now and I still struggle to pull away smoothly.

Whenever I see a learner 208 I do pity the driver.

I'm on 16500 miles now and there's no sign of slipping but all this talk of replacing clutches at low mileage is a bit worrying. My plan is to sell the car within the next 12 months paying out £1000 for a new clutch is not in the plan!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've just had the clutch replaced. After compaining unsuccessfully to both Peugeot and Motorpoint, I contacted the finance company as this problem began only a few weeks after purchasing it with 13,000 on the clock. The finance company sent out an inspector who agreed that there was a definite problem; they told me to book it in to an authorised dealer for diagnosis and then footed the whole bill for a new clutch.

It'll be paid for at the end of the year and it's going, no more Peugeot for me!!!

I hope this might prove helpful for anyone else who has a problem while the car is on finance. Even if the warranty doesn't cover the problem, you still have a good chance of the finance company paying for the repair.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts