Peugeot 208 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, first time posting on this forum room so apologies if I do anything wrong.

I have been enjoying my first car which I chose to be a 208 (2015) for a good 7 months now. Recently its been having trouble starting, every time its needed a jump start. I took this down to the battery being rather dead as I drained it about 2 weeks prior to the second jump start (first being getting it going right after I drained it). I booked myself in to get a new battery as it just wasn't charging it even after a good 2-hour drive. The mechanic mentioned to me that my alternator isn't outputting anymore then 12.3 volts and suggested it was the alternator and to go to the electrical place around the corner which I did. After they tried to diagnose it they encountered a lot of system faults which they worked through. They left it overnight after doing tests hoping it would be fine in the morning but with no success. They then mentioned I should take it to a Peugeot garage to sort it out thinking its the ECU or computer system.

Has anyone else experienced this problem or know of a common fault this could be? Really looking to figure this out and keep my car.

Any help towards this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm going through the same problem with my 208. I've fitted a new battery to no luck. And a new alternator which again it won't charge the battery again.
Did you resolve the problem?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello, first time posting on this forum room so apologies if I do anything wrong.

I have been enjoying my first car which I chose to be a 208 (2015) for a good 7 months now. Recently its been having trouble starting, every time its needed a jump start. I took this down to the battery being rather dead as I drained it about 2 weeks prior to the second jump start (first being getting it going right after I drained it). I booked myself in to get a new battery as it just wasn't charging it even after a good 2-hour drive. The mechanic mentioned to me that my alternator isn't outputting anymore then 12.3 volts and suggested it was the alternator and to go to the electrical place around the corner which I did. After they tried to diagnose it they encountered a lot of system faults which they worked through. They left it overnight after doing tests hoping it would be fine in the morning but with no success. They then mentioned I should take it to a Peugeot garage to sort it out thinking its the ECU or computer system.

Has anyone else experienced this problem or know of a common fault this could be? Really looking to figure this out and keep my car.

Any help towards this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!
I had same problem after weeks of hassle took the small wire connector off of alternator and battery charging constantly at 14.2v hope this helps

·
Registered
5 Posts
Think it's some kind of smart charge system ala ford.just hassle.takes seconds to disconnect.been trouble free for months now for me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, I am having a similar problem with my girlfriends 208 at the moment. We have fitted a new battery and a new alternator but the best voltage we can get while it is running is 12.9v ... Can you give me a little more ifnormation about what wire you disonnected from the alternator in order to get 14v?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mine 1.2 82 there is small cable on alternator 2 or 3 pin plug I used small screwdriver to unclip this.on mine it's all visible and easy enough to see.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, It turns out there is an ECU update that the car needed. Something in the previous software was preventing ti from charging. Reconncted cable and took the car to Peugeot dealer and they updated the ECU for free.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts